GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

13,801 to 13,820 of 15,195 messages
19/02/2013 at 18:30
Sounds ok to me jonny - good time too.

My training plan for a HM gives me one tempo run, one short run, one LSR (Long Slow Run) and one recovery run, two optional cross training days and one rest day per week. Though I tend to listen to my body on the cross training days, if I'm tired I don't cross train, as I'm on my feet all day every day at work, must walk miles in my job (must put a step counter on one day)
19/02/2013 at 18:54
I think that is important, to listen to your body. I would love to train 24/7 but i know i would burn out. Think im going to swim or bike ride at the weekend. What time are you hoping for dee?
19/02/2013 at 19:00
I'm less than a year from Achilles surgery and removal of a tendon in my ankle, and only been back running since June, so not really going for time, just to get round. Times in training suggest it would be round the 2 hour 10 mins - 2 hour 15 mins.
I used to be fairly quick, but have had to adjust how I run, so fast times are now out of the question for me. But I'm back running and that's something I was told 2 years ago I'd never be able to do again. I'm just enjoying being able to run.
19/02/2013 at 19:04
Was the injury from running? I bet you missed the open road. I couldnt imagine not running.
19/02/2013 at 19:20

Hi All,

Mel - Please post your neighbours route.

Jonny M - Welcome,  nice time trial too, just try not do to all your training full on gives increase chance for injury and will not build your aerobic fitness, which is fine for 5 - 10K but half marathon could be another story.

Nowt  wrong with that training plan Dee.

Lisa - By your 10K time you are definately capable of sub 1hr 45mins half.  I know you had a cold which may of contributed to slowing,  or it could well of been a lack of aerobic fitness?  I would base your week around 3 major runs and anything else done at a very slow pace or X-train. the three runs being

1/ LSR - @ 9.40 pace

2/ tempo run upto 20 mins @ 7.10 pace, 25 mins @ 7.16, 30 mins @ 7.20, Add on 3 secs per 5 mins after this upto 55 mins.  it would be a good idea to rotate  on a weekly basis (i.e. one week long tempo and next week short tempo)

3/ An hour run @ 8:25 pace

Lisa - Tempo runs can be done as Cruise intervals -i.e run at suggested pace for 10Mins then have 90secs rest

If this looks to be to hard then do a short temp one week and the next week do number 3,  and keep your other run easy.

New shoes came today with some new recovery socks,  fantastic delivery service.

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 19:38
19/02/2013 at 20:57

Cotswold Wolf many thanks for the advice. Just to clarify would the hour run @ 8:25 pace be classed as an easy run.

The plan that I am kind of following suggests that I do 5 runs per week (Hal Highdon Marathon beg plan) - Mon X train (I do pilates), Tues generally easy run of 3-4 miles ( I also do another pilates class afterwards), Wed mid length run (ie 8 miles this week - alternate tempo), Thursday 3-4 Miles, Fri X train (another pilates class) Sat 3 miles at pace (sometimes a parkrun), Sun LSR of 16 miles. Sometimes I will miss the Sat run if I am tired from work - but generally all other runs get done - Is this too many 'junk miles', it all gets very confusing , with some of the contradictory advice that you read in mags etc

19/02/2013 at 21:15
Evening
Gosh it's chilly out there tonight
Well done on your weight loss Toby
Welcome David and Jonny
LOL at B&Ts predictive typing- it makes for interesting reading
Mel's back chasing ladies again
Just an easy 5 miles tonight, should have been 7 but running partner wasn't up for it, but at least something done. Driving at lunchtime today I felt very envious of all those out running in the sunshine

44feb
20/02/2013 at 06:48
Jonny - no it wasn't done running which made it more frustrating. I had done a run early morning, got in the shower all was ok. As went to get out the shower it went a bit stiff, so stretched it out and put the shower over the area and it loosened off. Thought no more of it. Went out in the afternoon with my daughter, walked up a slight slope (literally the slope at the edges of a drop kerb) and 'pop' it just partially ruptured. Then spent the next 2 years in and out of plaster, lots of healing rupture healing rupture, until my consultant called in a surgeon in London who took one look at my MRI scan and said remove the plantarus tendon and punch some holes in the Achilles. Job done, lots of pain, lots of physio, hey presto back running

Lisa - I'm thinking you could be the female version of Toby

SS - certainly was chilly have ice on my car

CW - glad my training plan looks good to you, as lots of people in this thread value your advice

Right must get my butt in gear have a 50 minute run before work today
20/02/2013 at 11:07

what’s happened to the weather just when i thought we seen the last of the cold weather and might actually get a bit warmer than winter sets in again Oh well looks like we'll need the running tights a bit longer i know what it is the weather took one look at my legs yesterday said i not looking at those so it got colder so i had to cover them up

20/02/2013 at 11:39

Toby - ah ha! So its YOUR fault it was so bitterly cold this morning again!!! Trouble with the cold is I'm running faster to try and warm up. Not really marathon training!

Dee - ow ow ow - didn't realise you'd had such a painful time with your achilles. Not surprised you need to take it carefully, and can only imagine how wonderful it must feel to be running again!

Sal - on the PC today, so any mis-spelling are all my own work!! tablet is really cool - you type by sliding your finger over the touch keypad and it 'works out' what you meant to type. Doesn't always get it correct (obviously!!)

5 miles for me this morning - it was sooo cold when I set off I went off way too fast for an 'easy' run, and proceeded to stay at that pace all the way round. Must keep telling myself "its NOT a 10K I'm training for!!!"

Lots of layers is my advice to anyone running today!

20/02/2013 at 16:51

Hi everyone,

Jonny M - wow, a 10K in 45.31 is a great time. Sounds like you've well and truly got the running bug!

Dee - glad you liked the 'naked ladies' post from Fetch - it really made me chuckle when I saw it.

CW - I did ask the guy on Fetch for the details - he claims its a secret route only know to a few (fibbers!) New shoes arrived already? Blimey, that was quick.

Sal - now now, I don't spend all my time chasing ladies you know.

Toby - yep, one day of sunshine and now we're back to (normal) cloudy cold Winter days.

B&T - I didn't scour your last posting for any typos, no sirree I saw on Fetch you had done another 5 miles today - well done, and does sound like you needed some more layers today. Unlike Foxy, whose FB post today about her turbo training made me smile.

After Monday's club run (when I arrived 5 minutes late) I have my kit with me today. I'll get changed before I leave Bristol and hope I get back in time for tonight's hills/intervals session (and hope my jacket keeps me warm enough!).

20/02/2013 at 17:21

just a 5 mile recover run on the treadmill today walk 0.5k run 0.5k 14 to do on Friday then it will be out with the wife and daughter on Saturday for there go at 18 miles but we will have to see how the Daughter gets on may have to cut it short

20/02/2013 at 18:33
Really rough day at work, was tempted to run tonight but im keeping to a strict plan. Is everyone looking forward to the cold snap?
20/02/2013 at 18:50

7.5 miles for me this evening instead of 8 ran out of road again. Its blooming cold out there again, please Spring hurry up and arrive

20/02/2013 at 19:15

Hi All,

B&T - I prefer your tablet makes better reading, nice to do some faster work.

Jonny - What plan are you following?

Dee - Must of been a nightmare, good that you are back.

Toby - Are you training for an ultrs with the back to back long runs.

Lisa  - I don't believe in junk miles - I do think that it is possible to make better use of the miles done.  The 8.25 Pace would be your top aerobic training this needs to be controlled and not any faster or else you will not develop your aerobic engine.  The rest looks good with your park run taking care of the tempo run.  So I would suggest

Sat Park run  - Tempo run

Sun - LSR

Mon - Rest - Pilates

Tuesday 3 Easy - Pilates

Wednesday - 7 -8 Miles @ 8.25 Pace

Thursday - 3 Easy

Friday -  Pilates - It may though be worthwile to have one complete day off and skip a Pilates class.   

Tonight just a 3.5 mile run done to HR (top end of aerobic pace for me - I'm about 30 secs off pace tonight so thrilled with that)

20/02/2013 at 19:46
CW, i run tues, thurs, sat morn and either football or long run sunday, i treat myself on fridays to a beer or 2 and a pizza, still got 3 months till HM so entering abfew 5 and 10k local races, going to introduce x training on my rest days next week. Do you follow a plan?

Lisa, i wish i was up to that distance in my training, dont want to push too much just yet.

Dee, glad you are back up and running.
20/02/2013 at 20:10

Hi Jonny,

You seem to be taking the training sensibly and yes I too enjoy a few beers.  Don't follow plans I do my own plans - out of the ones Ive seen I like the Hadd approach for people who have just started  to run.  I'm just getting back into running after almost 3 months off with moving area I'm initially going to get a few park runs in and a couple of 10K's before racing a half.

20/02/2013 at 20:11

CW thank you so very much for all your advice

Jonny how long have you been running for? I am sure that you will increase your mileage as you progress with your running - I haven't always run this much

20/02/2013 at 20:17
Im in my 7th week, im currently running 10k every other day, im attempting 9 mile on sunday,
20/02/2013 at 20:38

Crikey you have done really well with your mileage in such a short period of time

13,801 to 13,820 of 15,195 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.