GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

13,861 to 13,880 of 15,337 messages
28/02/2013 at 21:31

Hi TR

Seems like the running is going well.  Nice to do different races. Glad you are enjoying it though the most important part.

I really enjoyed Snowdon and recommend it,  I would like to return soon, however we have recently moved and I have had  more than enough time away from running, Ive just started up again and it will be a few weeks before previous fitness levels are back.   This year my main target is to get back into shape then get as close as possible for a 20min 5K (park run) 42 min 10K and will target a half later in the year for my A race and go for 93Mins - however I'm a long way off that at the moment.  Haven't got any marathons booked this year and not planning one yet but you know what its like.

28/02/2013 at 22:31
Tiny Runner - was only thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were getting on . Any more videos? Getting speedier I see - well done!

CW - I'm planning on having a good go on Sunday, but obviously I'm not going to do anything silly and risk injuring myself. Anxiously checking the weather forecast ...

Susie and Toby - Best of luck on Sunday, racing or not!

Feels very lazy not having a long run planned for tomorrow!
01/03/2013 at 03:53

Morning all

C/W will be going for it Sunday it will seem funny as this will be the first i haven't run at Bath since i took up running and that’s were I’ve set all my PB over the H/M distance

Tiny glad the runnings going well don't be a stranger your always welcome

01/03/2013 at 16:46

Toby & B&T - Thats the spirit and importantly it will be a good guide for the upcoming marathons.

02/03/2013 at 06:07
Up at 5.30am to get an 8 miler in before work - must be nuts

Good luck Toby and B&T

Best get a wriggle on or I won't get out the door
02/03/2013 at 07:55

Morning all

Well off to Llanelli later today looking forward to a weekend a way then it’s back into the marathon training with a vengeance next week with a 5 mile run Monday and Wednesday a 10 mile Tuesday a 20 on Friday or i may push to 22 and then out whit the O/H on Saturday to keep her company as she has another 18 mile run to do

02/03/2013 at 14:26

Good luck to all those racing this weekend - looking forward to reading the race reports!!

Dee hope you managed to go out the door and complete your 8 miler this morning - to be quite honest I think we runners are all a bit mad sometimes - after all who else would go out in all weathers for a run just because our plan says that we should

LSR of 14.5 miles for me today completed in 2hr 18 trying to keep my pace between 9:40 and 10:10 to build on my endurance. Found it a bit tough as it was a hilly route - should have checked the elevation, but am glad that I have done it and can now look forward to a glass of the red alcoholic variety later!

Happy running and racing everyone.

02/03/2013 at 14:49
Yes I got out the door, but it had to be a tready 8 miler because of work. Was totally mind blowingly bored whilst running it. On the plus side I did manage to negative split it by 4 minutes.

Lisa - glad you did a good run within your target splits.
02/03/2013 at 20:01

Hi everyone - another busy week at work so not had time to post since last Sat.

Dee - pleased to hear the compression leggings worked out okay. Wearing them in bed too eh? Super sexy! Wow .. that was an early start for your 8 ml run.

Jonny - sorry to hear about calf/achilles problems

Sal - good going with last weekend's run after curry/drinks the night before!

Susie - well done re last weekends 15miler and good luck with Silverstone HM

Lisa - shame about not feeling ready to run Brighton HM But probably best decision. Well done re today's run .. enjoy the glass of red relaxant (hic!).

Toby - happy nooo shoes! Good luck with HM

B&T - enjoy the rest and good luck with HM

TR - hello .. nice to see you back. And nice to see training/racing going so well.

CW - glad to see pace coming back

Have run three times this week .. 5.5mls (10.06 m/m) at Mon's club run (was chasing group ahead all the way round); a slower 4.5mls on Wed (legs felt heavy); did my 7.25ml route in Ciren Park in the sunshine this afternoon. And my new shoes (Saucony Guide 5 like current ones) and thermal top arrived during the week.

Got to go - cooking Sunday roast tonight as we are out tomorrow and it's ready!!!!

02/03/2013 at 20:53

Hi All,

Toby, Susie & B&T - Good luck tomorrow and bring back some good reports.

Dee - Well done on the early morning run - My OH just doesn't get it at times.

Lisa - Cracking LSR,  hills are good.  Enjoy the red.

Mel - Some good running  from you this week - I took out my Guide 5 for the first time tonight, I like just hope that they like me.

6.5 miles this afternoon in the sunshine trying to bring HR down didn't work today.

Take care all

03/03/2013 at 16:54
Afternoon
Was hoping there might be some race reports by now....
Wiped out by a virus on Thurs so missed my run then worked long day Fri and Sat am so went out this morning. Beautiful morning, spring properly in the air, t shirt and 3/4leggings for the 1st time this year. Felt heavy going but got it done.
Wow Dee, that's some motivation
Hi TR, sounds like you're having a blast with your running
6.7 mar
03/03/2013 at 16:55
New half marathon PB of 2:15:54 Took another 2 mins 27seconds off Bristol's time. Very pleased, as it was pretty breezy today, and at least a couple of miles were straight into the headwind. A few unexpected hills (okay - undulations!) in the last couple of miles meant I finally overtook a group of people who'd had to walk up. Feet up now ' ready for my post race snooze

Wonder how Toby and Susie got on? Would have thought Silverstone would be windy as its so open...

Waves tiredly to everyone else. Race report to follow - honest!
03/03/2013 at 18:19
Well done B&T fantastic new PB x

Speed- hope you are feeling better

Hips are feeling a bit stiff today, think I might if over done it on Saturday in the second 4 miles , still next week is the start of my taper off, so will take it careful from now on. Though I'm getting concerned I've haven't received my race pack yet, and been told on two separate days that the last of the packs where sent out the day before! I'll give them till Wednesday to arrive if not there will be a very irate Dee on the phone to them.
Edited: 03/03/2013 at 18:20
03/03/2013 at 18:46
B&t, thats a fantastic pb! Well done.

Got through 90 minutes of football this morning and calf/achillies felt fine, took everyones advice on here and rested for a week, going out tomorrow on a steady 3 miler, easy does it.
03/03/2013 at 18:48

Excellent B&T - Well deserved.

I would of thought Toby will have a cracker today.

Dee - When/what are you racing at soon.

Sal - Sorry youve been unwell, congrats on todays run. 

03/03/2013 at 19:39
Reading HM 17th march so two weeks today, hence why getting worried about no race pack.

Glad to see the calf/Achilles is feeling better jonny
03/03/2013 at 20:15

Hi all,

Have had an great day.Not long been home as stopped for tea

Arrived at Silverstone at 10 am as advised getting there early as traffic can be bad and a mile walk from the car parks.So had a energy bar and a muffin while waiting aroundf.Felt freezing cold so tried to keep warm but HM not scheduled to start til 12 so seemed a long wait.

Eventually went down onto the track and at last the F1 music started blaring and we were off.Very quickly thought this is going to be so he most boring race ever.Yes nice surface but so monotonous.Every bit of track looked the sameFollowed a chap who was just wearing a pair of pink y fronts(running for the Starlight charity),at least a nice view for a while

However running well and feeling ok.Just tried to keep to 10 m/m.Was very windy on parts of course as so exposed but just plodded on trying to keep to the 'racing line' as my F1 expert OH told me.Certainly needed something to do/concentrate on to relieve the boredom.Little pockets of support/music to change the scene but not enough to lift the monotonyNot completely flat,a few ups and downs which actually were very welcome

In the 8th mile had an energy bar and did walk to eat that then a quick stretch as right glute feeling tight.No longer than a minute spent walking.Then off to finish the race.Last two miles the toughest as very slightly uphill but into the stiffest breeze of the day.

Only two of the miles slipped to 11 m/m,the eight mile as already explained and 9th was 11.04 m/m.The rest all very consistently in the 10m/m.So very pleased as used to find the last 3 miles hard.Felt really good today running the last 3 miles.Overtook loads of people and even though the wind was hard didnt stop,phew.

Crossed the line in 2.22.52,course a bit long Garmin measured 13.25 ,2 mins slower than my pb,nevermind.Great goodie bag and medal.Even though such a boring route it was a great training run for London in seven weeks time.Started walking back to the car parks,met up with OH and children who had been geo-cachingA couple of toes have a little blister but no problems

B+T,great PB today,really well done

Edited: 03/03/2013 at 20:28
04/03/2013 at 12:09

Just a quick report

Well Llanelli H/M done weather was cold and blowy which was good as we ran down the coastal path right by the sea good training for Brighton if the weather turns bad well i have a new PB according to my Garmin i got around in 1:43:36 beating my old time by 8:08 but was out done by the O/H who came home in 2:51:52 knoking about 33 minutes of her PB

10 mile recovery run today went out with the O/H went ok for the first 4 or 5 miles then  the O/H started to pay for her incredible performance yesterday and started to struggle so i started to pick a point to run to then walk to the next (i.e. a lamp or tree) and so on that way we got the whole 10 miles in not that the O/H was in any mind to give up and was determined to get the 10 miles done as she is going to have trouble fitting her runs in this week and by doing the 10 she can count them as the 2 x5 miles runs she had to do o just leaves her an 8 to do some time this week

Edited: 04/03/2013 at 18:12
04/03/2013 at 19:12

Evening All,

Well done and good report Susiebe - Sounds like a race to avoid though.

Toby - Knew you would have a good day, I reckon sub 3:45 marathon is achievable.

$.5 miles tonight 2 miles easy then rest at tempo effort.

04/03/2013 at 20:34

Race report

got to the hotel about 2pm book in and the set off to find the start for Sunday as it turn out the Premier Inn were we were staying was a 2 minute walk from the start so that was good weather Saturday was lovely and did contemplated wearing shorts for the race however by Sunday morning when we looked out it had turn cold and gray so the running tights were the order of the day

The race started from the ruby stadium which was great as there was some where warm to sit and wait for the race to start which wasn’t the case i learned later when i meet up from someone on another thread i post on

The race got under way on time there was a small climb in the first mile but after that was pretty flat as i said earlier it took you through a bird sanctuary and along the coastal path which was very exposed and there was a stiff wind blowing 

i was using people as pace makers a lot of the time until they either drop of the pace or went off in front was going well at mile five when i got talking to a chap running at a good pace he said that normally it’s was wet and wind for this race so i guess we got lucky in away weather wise

He went in front so i decided to chase him managing to stay a few paces behind him until the turn around point when he slow to wait for his mate it was then a case of just keeping the pace going i got passed by a young chap in a blue running top and for the rest of the race kept him in sight

Used a gel at mile 9 and have to say at this point was still going well it was and out and back route and again you had to run down the coastal path and there was now a strong head wind to run into the miles came and went and got to mile 12 and from there it was all downhill gave a great big cheer when i read the time because at this point i had been reading just the pace and nothing else

Great medals has to be the biggest and the most heaviest one I’ve ever got and a nice woolly hat well from what i can gather this is only the 4th time this race has Been run if so it was well organized and marshalled shame it’s not run a little later in the year as a nice warm day by the sea would make this race even better

Split wise 7:43, 7:41, 7:57,7:54, 7:47, 7:48, 7:48, 8:02,7:56, 7:56, 7:53, 7:56,7:30 and 1:36 for the last 0.23 miles Avg pace of 7:50

Edited: 04/03/2013 at 20:44
13,861 to 13,880 of 15,337 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.