GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

13,881 to 13,900 of 15,104 messages
04/03/2013 at 22:23

Evening all. Completed my first half marathon in 1:48:35. Delighted. Have two more in April and May. Thanks for all the advice on the forums

04/03/2013 at 22:50

Great race reports, Susie & Toby! Now before i have a taste of my own medicine and get nagged, here's mine.

Up at 6.30am, eating porridge, ea & toast by 7am, and out the door by 7.30 - yawn! 2 hours drive to the New Forest, arrived just in time to collect race number, queue for loo etc. 1 mile walk to the start along a crowded narrow pavement so no chance of a warm up jog, then at the start of a forest trail the Start sign could be seen. Rest of my family arrived on their bikes just as we were called to the start so I reluctantly peeled off my fleece jacket. The wind was bitterly cold and I'd struggled to decide what to wear knowing how hot I get in races vs. how cold the wind was! I finally decided on 2 long sleeve tops, no jacket, running tights, headband and gloves.

As we set off, the first 4 miles were fairly unexciting, through dusty trails of tall fir trees. My shoelace came undone in the first mile, but that was the only excitement. The trails were fairly narrow and I was trying to keep to an even pace, between 10:18 (for a 2:15 finish) and 10:32 (to match my Bristol HM time). When I passed the mile 5 marker, my Garmin was only reading 4.8M which was confusing, and it continued to be out all the way round. Hopefully it was  just because it lost the satelites under the trees, and not because the course was short!

At mile 6 we emerged onto Beaulieu Heath. The phrase 'the blasted heath' kept crossing my mind, because this was flat, had no trees for shelter, and was just totally windswept. The poor marshalls all looked frozen, but were still managing to smile and shout encouragement. It was really horrible running round here and I was relieved when at mile 8 we dropped down, and onto the off road section. I had a gel here just to make sure I had enough energy for the end of the race.

We had been warned that if the weather was wet then trail shoes would be appropriate. I just wore my road shoes as its been so dry lately. However I still managed to find lots of mud, lots of places where there was no discernible path and you just had to pick your way over it. At one enourmous boggy bit the marshall was directing us to try and jump onto a log and then off the other side, but I couldn't jump that far so he held my hand to help me. What a gent!

From mile 10 the route was beautiful. Through 'proper' forest, sheltered from the wind, over a little bridge over a river, through daffodills. Really pretty. Some uphill bits around mile 11, but I managed to run up them and even passed the group of people I'd been seeing in the distance for the entire race.

The concrete railway bridge was hard on the legs, but as I crossed it I could see the college and knew we were nearly back. As I came round the corner of the building I knew the finish line was just there .... and then I was directed to run round the field before heading for the line (curses!) Just before the last corner the man in front of me collapsed. As I stopped to make sure he was okay, a friend of his ran towards us shouting "Asthmatic! He's asthmatic!" We got him to his feet and ran to the line where the St John's ambulance folk sprinted towards him, delighted to have something to do.(My daughter saw him a little later - sat with a blanket around him, looking fine. Phew!)

Crossing the line the clock said 2:16 something, my Garmin said 2:15:55, and my official time is 2:17 something (because I was held up in the funnel behind the asthmatic man) I'm taking 2:15:54 My garmin finally said I'd run 13.0 miles, so I caught up a little!

Splits were 10:06, 10:11, 9:59, 10:34, 10:41, 10:43, 10:37, 10:40, 10:31, 10:40, 10:23, 11:05, 9:46 Very pleased my last mile was my fastest!

Edited: 04/03/2013 at 22:52
05/03/2013 at 10:08

Some fantastic race reports there; well done everyone!

B&T - no more videos from me! I've been concentrating more on the race report side of things and got some good ones up on my running club's website .  Which reminds me, do you have the link for your blog please?  I used to really enjoy reading it and since I've not been online for so long I've forgotten how to access it!  And well done for your last mile being the fastest, great effort there.

Grant - That's a cracking time for your first ever half marathon, you must be beaming

05/03/2013 at 13:16
Good race reports and results.

Still no race pack for me, but, been told to ring if I haven't had mine by Wednesday. On the plus side though I've just been notified that I e win the Reading HM competition for a new pair of mizuno trainers, its made my day
05/03/2013 at 14:49

Afternoon all

well 10 miles for me today and what a beautiful one it was must be the hottest day we've had in a long time first time out without a jacket

Dee congratulations on  the win

05/03/2013 at 16:58

Hi everyone,

CW - how did you get on with the Guide 5 shoes?

Sal - well done re Sun's run. On Sat I 'almost' wore my shorts and did without my jacket (almost!) 

B&T - huge well done re your new HM peebee! Enjoyed the race report - nice of that marshal to help you over log.

Dee - hope hips have recovered by now. Hope race pack has arrived by now And woo-hoo to winning competition!

Jonny - glad calf/achilles were fine after football.

Susie - enjoyed race report - shame it was so monotonous. How long did you follow pink y-front man before deciding you probably 'could' overtake him?

Toby - well done to you and Mrs Toby for your new peebees - enjoyed the race report.

Grant - congrats re HM result.

TR - B&T has moved her blog - new address is 'www.blackandtabbyruns.co.uk'. You'll like the pre-race photo .. B&T being well 'ard you understand.

Ran with the club last night and had a good 'un. A clubmate called Val who I often chase after suggested we ran together. We did and completed the 4.7ml figure-of-eight course in 45:30 - avg pace was 9:40 mm so I was very pleased with that. I'm working late tomorrow so will miss Wed's club run - will go out by myself instead.

05/03/2013 at 21:26
Mel - hips have recovered thank you, no race pack but been speaking to some guy on twitter or Facebook can't remember which one, he said he never got his at all last year, but, they sorted him out on the day with race number t-shirt etc, so not so worried now

Did sweatshop run last night, but, it was some guy from the running school that did the session, spent much of the evening not doing much as the things they were doing was not good for my Achilles, (it was an arm technique/sprint session) he had a good go at trying to convince me to try until I pointed out I used to run fairly seriously in my younger days so actually knew what I can and can't do following surgery. Don't think he really understood I've had to adjust how I run to accommodate the lack of a tendon in my foot/ankle all he could see is "but this is the correct technique". Although I have to say he was very good for newer members/new to running members. Think his next session is leg technique so don't hold out much hope for that session
Edited: 05/03/2013 at 21:39
06/03/2013 at 20:23

Hi All,

Dee - Well done on the win.

Mel - Early days but seem to be getting on well with the guides, one easy run and a

tempo run done in them, Seem to be light with enough support.   Great club run

Grant - nice race - keep this up and your time will get quicker.

Just under 5 mile tempo run done - undualiting pace not to bad and HR smack on. 

06/03/2013 at 20:50
Evening
What fabulous results and race reports to enjoy
Amazing pb B&T on what sounds like a tough ish course
Well done to you too Susie- sounds like a real confidence builder for that sub 5 marathon
Amazing pbs for Mr and Mrs Toby . Her improvement is so impressive (I feel we're missing out on her report!) and your splits are so fast Toby. Sounds like a nice race to have done. Also somewhat gobsmacked that you then went out to do a 10mile recovery run. Utter madness!
Had a mad 3 days at work this week ending with a meeting in London today. So desparate to get out tonight, even in the rain. 3.4 with 6x 2 mins fast with my daughter who made it look effortless. May not get a chance o run again before Sun but as I'm not race fit anyway don't suppose it matters!

10.1 mar
06/03/2013 at 21:19
Thanks all

Finally got my race pack today !!!!

The timing chip is placed on the back of the number (very clever) just a short 40 minute run for me today with a 30 minute on Friday followed by a 6 miler on Saturday then taper week yay!!!! Gotta love taper week!

Speed - hope Sunday goes ok for you race fit or not

CW - HR is something I can never get spot on
06/03/2013 at 22:56
Dee - phew to race pack arriving, and yay! to winning some new shoes Enjoy your taper.

Sal -' well done for getting a run in. Are you racing on Sunday? Sorry if I've missed something.

CW - have you found a club to run with? Sounds good that your HR is spot on (again!) Knew it wouldn't take long

Mel - thanks for the blog promotion yes - it's a wonderful photo, but it was FREEZING!

TINY Runner - nice to see you back, and glad to hear you've been writing race reports (you know how I like a good race report )

Grant - great time for your first race

My schedule said 5 miles today, but I read it as 4. After Sunday's HM and Tuesday's 9.5 miles my legs said 3.3 was plenty. Tired legs - have to keep telling myself that running on tired legs is excellent training for the marathon.

No running tomorrow - I have to go for a costume fitting. They're filming a film in our village, and I've been chosen as one of the extras Bring on the corset! I then have to stand around for 12 hours a day, for 5 days from Saturday. That'll mess up my schedule!
07/03/2013 at 04:06

morning all

well did 10 miles on Tuesday and then was ordered by the O/H to take a couple of rest days i think she wants me fit enough to go out with her on Saturday as she has 18 miles to do plus the fact i also have a 20 do do on Friday which i may well push up to a 22

So rest and foam roller-ed yesterday and the same to day

Dee glad the race pack finally arrived one less think to worry about

Edited: 07/03/2013 at 04:08
07/03/2013 at 07:34

Lots of posts and fab race reviews 

Huge well done to those that raced last Sunday sounds like all the training in all the horrid weather we have had is worth it.

Speediersal well done on your interval training and good luck for your imminent race.

Dee glad you got your race pack before having to phone them up and give them a piece of your mind, I always get very excited when the pack arrives. Congrats on winning some new trainers - can you choose which ones you want from a range?

B&T will have a look at your blog later when I am home from work - I like a good running blog. 

Had a few runs this week including a tempo run of 5 miles with 2 at easy pace - struggled to maintain pace at 8.20 going up hills but was otherwise consistent. I have a 4 mile easy/steady run planned for this evening after work.

Have also done 2 pilates and 1 yoga class along with foam rollering and spiky balling (if thats a word!!) as really trying to improve my flexibility - can just about touch my knees on a bad day and my shins on a really good day. Apparently my glutes and hamstrings are overly dominant and therefore tight and my hip flexors are too long causing my pelvis to be posteriorly tilted which is the complete opposite of most runners .

Anyway enough of my blathering... enjoy your running everyone

07/03/2013 at 10:33

Lisa - I never said it was a GOOD blog!!! Lots of waffle and some photos (never learnt the art of brevity - Twitter is a trial!) Why is it that whatever Physios say always sounds awful??!! Sounds like you have a plan to sort it out though

Toby - Ultra for you next???? With trainin glike you're doing you'll be so ready for one!

Off to go & get ready for this costume fitting. For someone who happily trots round in broad daylight in skin tight lycra I'm surprisingly nervous about what I'll have to wear.....

07/03/2013 at 15:46

Thanks everyone, flat course but still pleased. Would have been happy with anything under 2 hours. Managed a six mile run on Wednesday and the legs are feeling ok.

Congratulations to everyone who ran half marathons at the weekend and to anyone who managed a PB.

All the best to anyone who is running at the weekend. Now to get back to putting the miles in for the Edinburgh Rock N Roll half in April

07/03/2013 at 17:02
Dee - phew to race pack arriving, and yay! to winning some new shoes Enjoy your taper.

Sal -' well done for getting a run in. Are you racing on Sunday? Sorry if I've missed something.

CW - have you found a club to run with? Sounds good that your HR is spot on (again!) Knew it wouldn't take long

Mel - thanks for the blog promotion yes - it's a wonderful photo, but it was FREEZING!

TINY Runner - nice to see you back, and glad to hear you've been writing race reports (you know how I like a good race report )

Grant - great time for your first race

My schedule said 5 miles today, but I read it as 4. After Sunday's HM and Tuesday's 9.5 miles my legs said 3.3 was plenty. Tired legs - have to keep telling myself that running on tired legs is excellent training for the marathon.

No running tomorrow - I have to go for a costume fitting. They're filming a film in our village, and I've been chosen as one of the extras Bring on the corset! I then have to stand around for 12 hours a day, for 5 days from Saturday. That'll mess up my schedule!
07/03/2013 at 17:21

Hi everyone,

Dee - glad to hear hips have recovered. Yay! to race pack arriving

CW - glad the guide 5 shoes are okay (I thought the same - light but supportive)

B&T - no problem re promoting blog (cheque in post?) Sooo .. do we get see you in said corset

Toby - good training going on I see - glad Mrs Toby has made you rest a bit

Lisa - had to read that description twice to understand it

*waves* to everyone else

No running for me since Mon's club run and won't manage any more now as we are away for next two weeks. Off on a Northern Lights cruise up coast of Norway - will attempt to add some blog entries while away (wtnmel.blogspot.co.uk) but no promises as I have no idea what (if any) wifi will be available.

07/03/2013 at 20:30
Mel - no! Quite pretty costume, but so heavy and so hard to move in. Maybe it will count as strength training, or something???! Have a great holiday, hope you get to see the northern lights. Will be very envious if you do!
07/03/2013 at 21:13
Have a wonderful time Mel, sounds fab
Yes B & T, Trafford 10k on Sunday, but have pulled my back and in agony today
Hoping it will settle quickly
07/03/2013 at 21:47
Have a great holibob Mel

Lisa - no don't get to choose they are mizuno wave evo cursoris. I run in mizuno at the moment and I'm generally a mid foot runner so hopefully they will be okay
13,881 to 13,900 of 15,104 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.