GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

13,981 to 14,000 of 15,268 messages
25/03/2013 at 22:00
Hi all,

just 5 miles today so tried to keep to a 10 m/m pace which was fine.freezing cold though which was quite a shock to the lungs to start with!Will start to taper long runs now so 16,10,6 and 26.2 on the next 4 Sundays!

Mel,welcome back!Glad that you had a great holiday,apart from the bug and good that the lack of running didn't affect your 6 miler.

Dee,I'm fundraising for a charity called VICTA,which stands for Visually Impaired Children Taking Action.Have got to raise 1200pounds so about half way there GULP!So any help much appreciated.If anyone would like to help my fundraising page is virginmoneygiving.com/susiebesford

CW,nice part of the country and a few more hills than some parts of the county!The only race I've done fairly near is the Bourton 10k which I think is in feb.

working tonight so must get a move on.Have a good evening!
Edited: 25/03/2013 at 22:10
26/03/2013 at 04:49

morning all

well was supposed to do 8 yesterday but life got in the way and so only ened up with time for 5 so will have another go today

weight loss has become a problem well not so much losing it as maintaining it dropped another 5lbs today which put me at 10st so that's 3st 7lbs I've lost since i started

but on a more serious note i am now 7lbs under were i want to be and i having  already up my pro point allowance to 48 the leader of the meeting put it up another 2 points to 50

it's not that i'm not eating with what i packed away over the weekend i should have at least stayed the same as last week

oh well will need to try harder this week

Edited: 26/03/2013 at 04:49
26/03/2013 at 14:31

Hi everyone,

People have been asking why we've brought the cold weather back with us from Norway. Snow over there is 'normal' and they are geared up for it. They drive with (studded) winter tyres and its just business as usual for them on the roads. One tour guide commented on how they had only had 1.5mtrs of snow instead of the usual 2mtrs or more.

I'm able to report I'm now a convert to thermal underwear! Am still sorting through the holiday photos - will post a link to them once I have finished in case anyone wants to take a look.

Just completed a mega catch-up session .. well done with your long runs all you mara-funers and enjoy your taper weeks after all your hard work.

B&T - have now seen the photos of you in your costumes (and I know who Windy Miller is). Chuckled at the comment about corset uncomfortable but bustle lovely to settle back onto.

Dee - I've decided 'shirt runs' are where the slower runner hangs onto the shirt-tails of the faster one in front (remembers Chippenham River Run with B&T). Well done re Reading HM result. And a big woo-hoo to your post about getting a mega-donation for your charity after BBC South broadcast!

CW - glad to hear you have found a local running club.

Sam P - congrats on completing your first HM - great time too!

Jess - good to see you back

*waves* to everyone else

26/03/2013 at 21:31
HI all

Just a quick post as have been up all day after a night shift last night.Been lots going on,saw my youngest in her school play,my eldest not feeling well and so ran out of time to go to bed.So early night it is!

mel glad you had a good holiday!Reminds me of northern Canada where the cars are actually plugged in at night to keep them warm,like an electric blanket!In this country we all just freeze!

Dee,many many thanks for the donation.It is most appreciated!Am hoping I'll get to my target.Havent liked to ask people too early as sure people not so keen to donate months away but once we are into April I will send out a few reminders etc I have a biggish coffee morning,cake sale planned too which I hope will be well attended.Once again many thanks!

good night all!
Edited: 26/03/2013 at 21:31
28/03/2013 at 18:39
Mel - welcome back, looks like you had a good time apart from the stomach bug.

Toby - enjoy your taper. I lost weight with slimming world, I more or less eat what I want now, but I do make sure my main meals are good choices, and have maintained by target weight for the past 6 months

Susie - you are more than welcome for the donation.

Planning on a LSR tomorrow, if the weather is ok. Did core strength work at the gym today, was harder than I remembered it to be , I will persevere as I have neglected this for 6 months - lets see if it has an effect on the running.

Have a great Easter everyone x
29/03/2013 at 21:26

Dee hope your LSR went well today.

Toby now that you will be reducing your mileage your weight loss may ease off and you will just maintain then?

Tempo 8 miles for me today, including 6 miles at race pace averaging 8:16 min/miles felt fairly comfortable. All other runs this week at about 70% of max HR, mileage up to about 35-40 per week, slowly increasing to avoid injury.

Happy tapering to all who are running marathons over the next few weeks 

30/03/2013 at 08:06

Morning all

Sorry not to have  been around but life’s been hectic with having to be in work early every day ending in an 113/4 hour night Wednesday trying to fit the training runs in and having to go car hunting on Friday as the wife has changed jobs and won’t get home in time for me to have the car

running wise did 8 on Tuesday and another 5 on Wednesday then my last longish run of 14 miles Friday this just now leaves me 3 x 5miles 1 x 6miles a 4 and a 10 and this time in 2 weeks I’ll be waking up in Brighton can’t believe I’m coming to the end of yet another 18 weeks of training i was only ever going to run one marathon

Edited: 30/03/2013 at 08:07
31/03/2013 at 08:38
Well done re various training runs Toby - Enjoy your taper weeks and good luck with looking for a new car.

*waves* to everyone else

I went out yesterday and did a short 4.5ml loop around town. I still haven't tracked down my gloves I use for running .. I know I brought them back with me so I'm sure they are tucked away somewhere hiding from me! Anyway, with no gloves, my hands were a bit cold for the first mile or two. Saw a few other runners out and about but with the cold wind it was a bit brrrrr ..

Will go for a longer run tomorrow but today Mrs Wm and I are off for a walk. We are going to walk the Ridgeway in May (85mls) and need to start practising!
31/03/2013 at 21:48

Hi everyone

Hope you're all well.  I have read back, but I can't remember what I've read so if I miss it out / mix it up - really sorry.

Ahh Sal - I think I may sign up for that City 10K in July - fancy that.  I have the 1 mile open water swimming in Salford that month so will check the dates.  Think I'll go for the Stockport one though.  Glad you love your new house and hope you can get a routine going - it's difficult isn't it.

B&T / SusieBe1 / Toby - wow!  Amazing running, good luck with your last bit of training.  The thought of running that distance now frazzles my head, let alone my legs ha ha.

Mel - ahh sounds amazing - would love to see the Northern Lights (not Blackpool!).  Sorry to hear you got a stomach bug.  Hope you're OK.  

Well I've been continuing with the running club and doing my gym programme and it all seems to be working.  I've nearly lost 2 stone now since January (managed to put on a stone during marathon training last year), and I'm much quicker now - so feel like I love running again now I've got a bit of speed.  Stil slow, but a much bigger improvement for me.  Been doing the parkruns and just started the running clubs 10K training programme ready for the Sherwood Forest and Manchester 10K.  Then I bump it up for 10 milers and Half Marathon's in the summer, plus the Open Water swims I'm doing too.  All good though.  Feeling like I've got my mojo back.

Other than that - work is shockingly bad.  With all the upheaval to Media City in Salford, it's meant we're very quiet till it all settles down again (I hope).  Thankfully the running / gym / swimming has really help keep my spirits up (weirdly - usually it's vodka) so fingers crossed work will get better soon.

On another note, my little stepson has been coming to parkruns with me and now loves it.  He's decided he wants to be a sprinter when he grows up

Hope you're all having a wonderful easter

J xxxx

31/03/2013 at 21:48

ps, Susie - I'll donate this week Not forgotten xxx

01/04/2013 at 14:04

Afternoon all

went to W/W today much better result back up to 10st 8lbs so am now were i wanted to be was a  naughty boy over Easter as the chocolate got rather a beating but hey it did the trick

running wise got  the 5 and 14 done last week and then 15 with the O/H on Saturday went out today and did my last LSR of 10 miles so now i have nothing over 6 left to do before Brighton

Edited: 01/04/2013 at 14:05
02/04/2013 at 15:43

Hi everyone,

Jess - lovely to hear all your news (though I have the advantage of keeping up with you on FB!).

Toby - chuckled at you giving the chocolate a hammering over Easter. As I said before, enjoy your taper weeks.

*waves* to everyone else

Mrs Wm and I had a lovely walk at Avebury on Sunday (7 mls) - would make a nice off-road run in the summer for something a bit different. We walked from the circle to Silbury Hill and West Kennet Long Barrow, then back via East Kennett, the first mile of The Ridgeway and the green path back to Avebury. We had some well-earned cake and coffee afterwards (resisted the lure of The Red Lion!).

Yesterday I ran my 7.2ml route through Cirencester Park (including Big Bertha Yvonne!). Those gloves I said I couldn't find? They were in the bottom of the small rucksack (the one I had already checked several times).

02/04/2013 at 22:05
Evening all sorry I've been absent, we were lucky enough to be away skiing last week. It was officially the first week of my taper so I reckon it was okay to not be running, and we had plenty of other exercise whilst we were there. I'll not worry too much about the amount of cheese, bread and wine we got through though (hem hem)

Glad everyone sounds well and happy at the moment. Toby and Susie - hope your taper's going well. Mel - glass you had a good holiday and have recovered from the cruise bug. Jess - nice to see you again - glass your running mojo is back!
Waving hello to everyone else as well.
03/04/2013 at 11:12

B&T - glad you enjoyed your ski-ing. Am over the cruise bug now - took several days (and a couple of good night's sleep) before I felt 100% again.

*waves* to everyone

It's my birthday today (61 years young - though I don't feel that 'old' IYKWIM) so let's celebrate .. 

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/303571/gallery/bday_cayke.gif?width=350

03/04/2013 at 11:21
Yay! Cake! Oh, and happy birthday Mel
03/04/2013 at 12:42

Happy birthday Mel have a great one

03/04/2013 at 13:23
Happy birthday Mel xxx
03/04/2013 at 22:24

happy birthday Mel x 

04/04/2013 at 13:15

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Got some lovely cards and Mrs Wm bought me the Two Ronnies collection box-set (all 12 series + xmas specials etc. on 27 dvds!). That will keep me out of mischief for hours (days!).  F. U. N. E. M. ?

Went out for a meal yesterday evening so missed the interval training with the club. Have to visit my son tonight and tomorrow is Friday. So let's be honest, its likely to be Saturday afternoon before I get out running again (as I am on call on Sat morning).

04/04/2013 at 13:57
Mel - enjoy the 'four candles' sketch which must be on there somewhere!
Short little run this morning in my new shoes. My old pair are falling apart - a big hole in the heel rubs me and I could only wear them with blister plasters finally found the same, last year's model in my size and ordered them sharpish. I must have the most popular size of ladies feet as they were really difficult to find, and I ended up paying more for them then I did when they were the 'current'model! Sigh

Anyway, will hopefully get a few more runs in them before the big day, and hopefully all will be well with my feet in them!

Waving to everyone
13,981 to 14,000 of 15,268 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.