GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

14,161 to 14,180 of 15,105 messages
13/05/2013 at 07:44

Oh dear Dee, all sounds like a bit of a nightmare.

lovely weekend catching u p with old friend. Just did an easy 3.2 in the rain yesterday evening

25.26 may

13/05/2013 at 12:44

Sal -glad you survived keeping the kids entertained over the weekend! 

Dee - yuck to car issues - so frustrating! Glad you've got another car now, and hope you can get back out running soon.

Mel - more car issues of another kind for you - more frustration. Hope you can get back in time for a club run this week.

CW - did you getto Parkrun? And meet Susie??

Toby - know what you mean about how short the runs on a HM training schedule look! Very organised to be starting your training already for Bristol. And you got to run with Yvonne again 

Waves 'hello' to everyone else.

Dug out the training schedule that CW made for me last year as I'm hoping to take some more time off my annual 5K race this year, and also my 10K time as well! Managed intervals last week, and a 'long' run of 7.5M, so today thought I'd try a short tempo run. Schedule said 20 mins at 9:33 pace, so I ran 5 mins warm up, then set off for my fast 20 minutes, then cool down for about 3 minutes until I go thome again. I'd programmed my garmin to help me keep to the right pace, but apart from beeping at me to 'Speed Up' when I was going through a stile (give me a chance, I thought!) it didn't nag me so I guessed I was doing okay.

Checked the numbers when I got home  and my 20 minutes had been run at 9:03 pace - whoops!! That would explain why coming back up the slope felt quite hard!! Nice easy run for me tomorrow 

13/05/2013 at 15:29

I'm posting more on the Brighton thread I should be organised and post here to ....it was good to see toby and Mrs toby aka poohbear on Saturday we had a nice 5 mile run around a park and lunch and a good catch up ....can't believe how well they both look super lean mean running machines it's spurred me on to lose a few pound I need to get to my race weight ..... I've also told my children I'll give them 25pound each if I don't lose the 11 pound 6 ozs to reach 9 stone by 1 st july I've just been a pig basically the last few months and eaten rubbish lots of cake and chocolate  crisps not enough fruit and veg ...I've got a sweet tooth so will still have a treat of chocolate on a Saturday but won't eat a big sharing bag of crisps to myself too .... Will train my sweet tooth to think a grape  or orange is sweet enough ...

13/05/2013 at 17:54

All,

Not yet done parkrun, hoping to go this Saturday, I think its the one Susie uses.

B&T - Don't forget your times have improved as well so training paces will be faster - You will have to remind me of your times?  Good run!!

Yvonne - Good luck with the weight loss and saving yourself some cash.

13/05/2013 at 19:54

CW i know i stand a better chance of losing the weight if i think i need to part with cash...

Day 1 had no rubbish porridge for breakfast with banana strawberries and blueberries (i have this every morning...) a chicken sandwich with seeded bread, a yoghurt,and an apple and just had homemade chicken curry with rice and a naan bread for dinner....no crisps or chocolate yee ha...

Went for a 4 mile run tonight with my daughter bless her she is still suffering with stitch but she keeps running and she does not moan about it ....she upped the pace, our first mile was 10.23 all uphill into the wind ( took our breath away at one point) next mile 9.45 on road, third mile 9.59 pace on track,last mile back on road 9.48.... legs feel it now, but i feel happy having run that bit faster.....

hope you are all enjoying your running and indeed have time to run

13/05/2013 at 21:16

Yvonne - May come in handy for stitch - have a go at breathing in on different foot strikes. i.e breath in on left footstrike  next on right footstrike.  I had it once in a 10K race tried this and seemed to solve it.

14/05/2013 at 04:48

well never got out for a run yesterday over slept and then by the time i got back from my weight watchers meeting had a shower i just had enough time to eat dinner before i had to be in work for a training course so another 12.5 hour night for me last night

cold not getting any better so i have a feeling there will be no running this week just resting up but will see how i feel when i get up

Yvonne good luck with the weight loss

Edited: 14/05/2013 at 04:49
14/05/2013 at 09:57

Yvonne - good luck! Have you used the MyFitnessPal app? You record everything you eat, and any exercise and it shows your daily calories in / out. Really focused the mind when you have to add in every biscuit ...

CW - Can't remember when you did the paces for me - was it last year??? Anyway, my most recent time was 2:15:55 for a half in March. 5K last summer was 27:46 and 10k still stands at 58:35 (the 'cheating' flat, circuit 10K)

Nice easy 4m today. Concentrated on keeping HR below 70% which is easy on the downhill outward leg, but harder on the way home! Average HR was a whisker under 70%, and average pace of 10:50. managed to avoid the rain, but not a huge puddle.

Toby - sounds like a busy week for you again - hope your cold clears up soon.

14/05/2013 at 13:04

Hi everyone,

I see I was being over-optimistic last Wed hoping to be back in time for the club intervals session. My post on Thu morning said it all!

B&T - chuckled at the 'impaled by a rhino' photos. Well done re that tempo run. I am supposed to be entering some autumn HM's (sniggers) so any chance you could send me that training schedule CW did for you?

Toby - smiled at you thinking 11 miles isn't a l-o-n-g run after all the mara training (says 7ml LSR man). See you ran with Yvonne last Sat - hoping I can arrange to meet up with Yvonne again sometime.

Dee - sorry to hear about car issues. My last visit to Abingdon was one night while we were walking the Thames Path (usually I am just driving through).

CW - good to hear from you - hope you are keeping well. See above re B&T's training plan - might be after some advice too!

Yvonne - good luck with weight loss. I post on a 'flab fighters' thread on Fetch. I've just rejoined MFP (which B&T mentioned) and there's a MFP Facebook group I've been pointed towards and have joined. Hoping those will all help me but its hard work! Annoyingly, my HTC phone doesn't have enough memory for me to install the MFP app (and can't get it to install on memory card).

I managed to get out running with the club last night - the 5.5ml Polo Field route with 1.6mls uphill slope. But as usual, I ended up running by myself (couldn't keep up with faster ones; slower ones behind me turned back home).
TBH, am getting frustrated with club again. Still can't find a training partner for Sat runs - new website has forum so might post on there and see what response I get.
Main gripe is same as before - people friendly enough at Mon/Wed sessions but after Wed session they get into their huddles to plan Sat run and I am Billy-No-Mates. Even my friend of 10yrs+ ignores me and gets into a huddle with the 'running ladies' she goes out with so feeling pretty fed up at the moment. Think I'd be better off doing my own thing. Will stop whinging now!!

Running will be taking a back seat for the next week or two. Mrs Wm and I are setting off on another long walk on Sat. This time we are doing the Ridgeway Path (87 miles). Will attempt to keep my blog updated along the way (wtnmel.blogspot.co.uk).

14/05/2013 at 15:43

wtn Mel any time you fancy a Sat run let me know I may be up for the old girl bertha ...have a lovely walk along the Ridgeway 

B&T thanks for the app advice I'll give it a try although I may forget to enter stats I use to have boots diet but I got frustrated trying to find the calorie content of food that wasn't in their data so didn't keep it up good job it was a free trial 

14/05/2013 at 17:22

Hi All

First post on this forum although I have been reading it for a while.

I am totally new to running and entered the Robin Hood Half Marathon to motivate me into action. It’s definitely done the trick, 8 weeks ago I struggled to walk a minute, run a minute but managed 25 minutes at a 10.5 minute/mile pace yesterday....

Still a long way to go but I have never been so determined to reach my goals. No doubt you will see me pop up again and hopefully I can make a worthwhile contribution to this forum community.

Cheers

Jay

14/05/2013 at 17:38

Jay welcome

14/05/2013 at 20:00

Hi Jay - welcome aboard! Fantastic to have made it to 25 minutes running  Are you following a plan  or a schedule? Worth it to stop you pushing too hard and risking injury (says she who loooves a good schedule so she can tick runs off as she does them) Keep posting and let us know how you're getting on. Any questions just ask, but remember "The answer's cake. What's the question?" 

Mel - schedule I had from CW was a rolling 2 week plan, with week 1 having a Long Tempo, 2 easy and a LSR. Then week 2 had a short tempo, 2 easy runs and then a MP run. After a while, and in preparation for the 5Khe changed it to include intervals. So week 1 was a LSR, a MP run, a short tempo run and an easy run. Then week 2 was a LSR, an MP run, an easy run and sme intervals. He worked out the paces I should be running each of the sessions so I had no excuses not to do them!  Shame the Club seems to be going the same way as before  Lovely run with Yvonne sounds like a good antidote  Oh and hope the weather cheers up for you and Mrs Mel - will be following your progress on your blog!

Yvonne - the My Fitness Pal app has lots and lots of different foods in the database, and you can add things in yourself if its not in. I found it hard for homemade food (I do make most of our meals from scratch) but I could usually find something similar that someone else had already entered. Oh and its free 

Just checking my schedule for tomorrow, but not feeling 100% tonight so shall see how I feel in the morning 

14/05/2013 at 20:21

Hi All,

Jay - Your doing well - keep it nice and slow and build up slowly.  Have they decided to give the Robin hood marathon another go?

Mel - Sorry to hear about your running club. Good luck with the walk.  Yes we are all good I found it very difficult to find time to run in the early stages of the new year and got a bit frustrated with losing so much fitness, but have decided I'm in a good position to pick it up now,  got a few nice routes still undecided about running clubs nearest one lots of hill running - next one still in range lots of intervals and tempo runs!!! decisions.  My long run is about 9 miles

B&T - Seems like you have the last lot of paces I gave you, No probs going a bit faster.  Is it an half your going for next?

Yvonne - Good day on the diet.

Take care all

14/05/2013 at 20:24

welcome jay and congrats on starting your running life...its addictive this running lark you know...wont be long and youll be doing a marathon ...most people start off with a 5km then work up but youve obviously got b*$*s jumping straight in at 13.1 miles ...keep us updated on your progress ....its good to have a forum full of lovely people to share your highs and lows with ...good training days and the yukky...cos i know that i bore the living daylights out of my friends with my running tales..

15/05/2013 at 06:53

Turns out I had already downloaded my fitness pal onto my kindle sometime ago and didn't realise it was so useful and have not been using it ,until now ... very easy to use thank you B&T

15/05/2013 at 08:27

Yvonne - thats the kind of thing I do!

Just stealing myself up to going out for an hour's MP run. It looks cold and wet out there so not very inviting .... (wuss!)

15/05/2013 at 11:01

When it looks horrible outside, it does take extra mental effort to get out of the door, but once your out ,even in the rain,it does feel sooooo good and you feel a little smug (well i do anyway) when your done and dusted and the rest of the day is yours.....

B&T hope you had a good run, im off out later with my daughter around 5 ish ,we have work until then either 4 or 6 miles tonight

15/05/2013 at 11:40

Ha ha! I'm back and smug!! Rain stopped about half way round, and hands defrosted after 3 miles (brr!) 1 hr Mp run done Hope you & your daughter enjoy your run later.

Really must do some work...

15/05/2013 at 13:19

Hi everyone,

Yvonne - will be in touch re a Sat run sometime once I get back from Ridgeway walk.

Jay - welcome to the thread and well done re progress so far. Best advice I can give is to build up your long runs gradually and concentrate on increasing your distance rather than what speed you are doing.

B&T - I don't have a problem running in the rain so don't usually find myself hesitating getting out of the door. Glad to hear you did go for your run ..

*waves* to everyone else

Hope to pop back here before Saturday ..

14,161 to 14,180 of 15,105 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.