GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

14,281 to 14,300 of 15,114 messages
19/06/2013 at 13:04

Sorry B&T .. x-posting with you. Sorry about posts not appearing here. I know how you are because I've been keeping an eye on your blog!

19/06/2013 at 14:20

B&T good luck with the 10k hope all goes well

Mel gald to read the running's going well

i myself was going to do a gym session today but have only just got up i haven't slept this long in ages but the problem now is i will be having to think about  going  back to work soon so the gym session won't get done today so i may just walk to work for a change or even dig my bike out

19/06/2013 at 20:44

Evening

We thought you were just ignoring usB&T

sounds like you're getting back on form Mel

Went tspeedwork tonight. This week it was 8x1min fast followed by 2 min jog. Managed better this week: 7.34, 7.05, 8.05, 8.15, 8.02, 8.32, 8.26, 8.51

Theres a local 9.5k fun run on Sunday that looks like a nice route so hoping to dothat rather than a long run on my own

49.72june

19/06/2013 at 21:38

Never, Sal! You won't get rid of me that easily  Fun run sounds good!

20/06/2013 at 07:27

Mel - pleased your training is going to plan. I'm with you on Toby, on my faster shorter runs the fastest split I can do is around 8.30 but can only maintain that for 3 miles

B&T - thought it was strange you hadn't posted for a while

Toby - with all the gym and bike riding, it's just confirming my theory that you are super human. 

Not sure if I should do the speed session with the sweatshop tonight, or a basic with and try a tempo session in it. I'll see how I feel later. It's so hot, clammy and humid on the south coast, it will be on the water front in the hope I can catch a bit of breeze

20/06/2013 at 12:24

Afternoon all

well i opted to dig the bike out yesterday and ride to work it was such a nice day any way sun was out and all that things were looking good for the ride home nice and cool at 3am but would you believe it just as i went to un lock the bike to move it the heavens emptied

luckily i still had a couple of things to do and by the time i had done them and was ready to go home it had stopped mine you with all the rain we’ve had and being out running in it the rain doesn't faze me like it use to

20/06/2013 at 20:35

Which did you choose Dee?

I seem to keep getting caught in rain too Toby

Just an easy 4 tonight in drizzle

53.68june

21/06/2013 at 07:29

Neither,came home from work with the migraine from hell, so spent the evening in bed trying not to be ill   

May not get out this evening, but a 7/8 mile run is definitely happening this weekend. 

21/06/2013 at 11:49

Dee  hope you're feelign better today - migraines always used to leave me wiped out for days afterwards. Hope you get your run in this weekend!

Sal - well done on your 4 miles - I wouldn't mind drizzle, its soooooo humid here its horrid. I step out and think 'oh its not too hot, good'. 5 minutes later I'm just dripping with sweat - ew!

Toby - glad you missed the rain - but its more tricky on a bike than on feet - much more likely to come off a bike in the rain!

Mel - training seems to be going well! I finally enetered teh River Run - just hoping my numbers not as low as last year!

Intervals today for me - I didn't realise it was as humid out there as it actually was! Still, managed 8 x 400m at a decent pace with 90 seconds recoveries. Then I just dissolved into a sticky puddle.

21/06/2013 at 14:05

no long run for me this weekend just to much to do around the house so will give it a miss this weekend and get back to it next week

21/06/2013 at 15:29

Hi everyone,

Sal - well done re Wed's speedwork session. Enjoy the fun-run if you decide to do that.

Dee - sorry to hear you didn't get to decide between speedwork or basic/tempo due to migraine .. hope you are better now and can get out for LSR at weekend.

Toby - well done re cycling to work - they always say the weather isn't the problem, it's just having the right equipment/clothing to deal with it.

B&T - yep, training going well and am getting back to regular running now. Have been reading McMillan training info & "Complete Runner's Handbook" - hoping I can be a bit more focused for training for Chippenham HM. May be asking questions that CW would have answered in the past! Well done re intervals. And apologies .. don't think I'll be able to make it to River Run this year as I am on earlies that week - sorry!

*waves* to everyone else

On Wed eve I did the same hillwork route as last week - it was a bit slower and much harder this week thanks to it being a muggy evening.

I will do my 7.25ml route around Ciren Park again tomorrow morning. It looks like it might be raining which will make a nice change and should mean less dog-walkers!

As mentioned above, am reading the 'The Complete Runners Handbook'. Have reached the section on heart-rate training which I know B&T for one has tried in the past. Being curious I checked my RHR in bed this morning (55). And looked at recent training on Fetch and saw 160 as the max figure recorded (at the top of a hill towards the end of a 6ml run). The book mentions the rough and ready calculation for a 'safe' MHR of 220-age (60 in my case) which also equals 160. So according to that formula, I've already reached my 'safe' MHR on a long run where I was working hard, felt out of breath, but basically felt fairly comfortable! I'm thinking I'll have to do a bleep test on my treadmill to see what figure my max. HR actually reaches.

Did anyone else see this - it made me smile!

A group of tigers is called a 'streak' of tigers. And London Zoo is concerned because there are only 300 Sumatran tigers left in the wild. So to raise funds, they are organising a fun-run in the zoo. There is a catch though .. you will only need your running shoes and the tiger mask they supply you with. One way of getting a PB I guess!

Edited: 21/06/2013 at 15:31
21/06/2013 at 15:37

Mel - lol since doing your 'chunky' dip, you seem to find all the nude events! Has visions of runners bits bouncing around as they really shouldn't be  cheers for that thought on a tough afternoon at work

21/06/2013 at 22:20

Mel - laughing at the Tiger streak,  and yes Dee at the bits wobbling that really shouldn't! Shame you can't make the River Run this year -I'll have to do the elbows out first 100m dash by myself! The HR training is really interesting, my MHR is way higher than the formula says it 'should' be -my biggest was 200 and that was at the end of the Corsham 10k where I was trying to catch up with you! According to the formula mine should be 176!

Toby I think you've earned a weekend off! 

22/06/2013 at 13:42

Dee - I didn't need to go looking for any more nude events .. a FB friend told me about the Tiger Streak. I followed the link (like you do) and noticed the 'small print' reminded participants the event will be filmed, hence the masks they supply Re our recent chunky-dunk, some photographs have surfaced and I was sent a link to them. Seeing those wobbly bits again as we all ran down the beach gave me a good laugh  

B&T - interesting re HR figures and your max being higher than that formula suggests. I looked back at the stats for the 2011 Corsham 10K when I know I was working hard at the end of the race - my max then was 165. So I guess my heart must be working efficiently. Will still do a bleep test though to check how high it goes.

22/06/2013 at 15:28

Got out and did a 6.8 mile run 1hour 7 minutes, on a course and very windy course, but had to stop and walk up one of the hills. Forgot how much your fitness goes once you can't train properly. on the plus side, hamstring did not protest, so I think I can go back to proper training again

Only 2 weeks till the 10k with my daughter and she flys along at a cracking pace, so if I can regain some fitness in the next couple of weeks I'm hoping for a sub hour 10k

my MHR is also 176 but I'm sure I go over that on hill traing lol certainly feels like I do

Have a great weekend all

22/06/2013 at 16:07

Afternoon

LOL at tiger race-I'd never be brave enough. My max HR also v high198 and I'm older than 22!

parkrun this morning. Ran with friend who usu takes 31min at mo. worked well as pacing more consistent than usual and managed 31.43 which is my best time in a year. Looking forward to the flat 5k I'm doing in July to try and get a pb. 

Off to a local music festival with the kids tonight then 10k fun run in morning. Won't be racing it as just heard its hilly! 

57.78june

22/06/2013 at 16:18

Dee - well done re your 7ml run (see, I rounded it up for you). Glad to hear hamstring was okay.

Sal - well done re parkrun.

For Dee and B&T .. I found this race which is in a couple of weeks time. Have you got anything on?  

Edited: 22/06/2013 at 16:22
22/06/2013 at 18:00

Lol - Mel it even combines a chunky-dunk at the end

22/06/2013 at 22:28

Well after having only run a 2 miler last saturday on the treadmill and the 10km on the 12th june i thought i best get out today and run, although i did have a slight groin strain after the 10km and thought rest was better, plus some of the evenings last week when i thought i would run, life and its events got in the way ie school concerts etc...

Anyway i thought its about time i started my half marathon training and ran 7 miles and every mile was in the 9 min 30-35 mark ....so well happy with that if thats now my slow/steady pace my legs have learnt to go faster ive also decided to give up dairy as i know this produces lots of mucas in your lungs hence why they say not to have dairy when you have a cold as it produces lots of the stuff and slightly blocks your nose to .....my official diagnoses on my lungs isnt asthma its the damage i caused my lungs through smoking when younger although ive been given up for 18 years now, and have been a non smoker longer than i was a smoker but the nurse seems to think there is just a slight blockage stopping me taking a full lung full of oxygen when running ,she has told me to try and relax and try and breathe deeper into my lungs if i can although i still sound like a train!!!

Back onto the dairy free ive noticed a big reduction in the amount of times i blow my nose a day .....having been to the hospital for allergy tests to see why the nose constantly drips i wasnt advised it could be diet!!! Have not had any cheese all week  (its just a convenient sandwich filling eh) i have olive spread anyway and i only have milk in my porridge and tea so have brought a variety of oat ,rice and almond milk to see how they taste in tea!!!! Not a big cream  or butter eater so thats not gonna be hard to stop eating .....now chocolate on the other hand may be harder but good old plain 80% stuff is ok in small doses ...i will after a month introduce goats milk and goats yoghurt to see if the runny nose returns ....but today on my run i blew my nose twice and thats cos of the wind normally i would be constant tissue in /out of my pocket so its looking good and its worth a try...

Toby hope you get your house jobs done this weekend

22/06/2013 at 22:31

Wtnmel i did have a little chuckle at your race suggestion

14,281 to 14,300 of 15,114 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.