GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

14,301 to 14,320 of 14,953 messages
22/06/2013 at 16:18

Dee - well done re your 7ml run (see, I rounded it up for you). Glad to hear hamstring was okay.

Sal - well done re parkrun.

For Dee and B&T .. I found this race which is in a couple of weeks time. Have you got anything on?  

Edited: 22/06/2013 at 16:22
22/06/2013 at 18:00

Lol - Mel it even combines a chunky-dunk at the end

22/06/2013 at 22:28

Well after having only run a 2 miler last saturday on the treadmill and the 10km on the 12th june i thought i best get out today and run, although i did have a slight groin strain after the 10km and thought rest was better, plus some of the evenings last week when i thought i would run, life and its events got in the way ie school concerts etc...

Anyway i thought its about time i started my half marathon training and ran 7 miles and every mile was in the 9 min 30-35 mark ....so well happy with that if thats now my slow/steady pace my legs have learnt to go faster ive also decided to give up dairy as i know this produces lots of mucas in your lungs hence why they say not to have dairy when you have a cold as it produces lots of the stuff and slightly blocks your nose to .....my official diagnoses on my lungs isnt asthma its the damage i caused my lungs through smoking when younger although ive been given up for 18 years now, and have been a non smoker longer than i was a smoker but the nurse seems to think there is just a slight blockage stopping me taking a full lung full of oxygen when running ,she has told me to try and relax and try and breathe deeper into my lungs if i can although i still sound like a train!!!

Back onto the dairy free ive noticed a big reduction in the amount of times i blow my nose a day .....having been to the hospital for allergy tests to see why the nose constantly drips i wasnt advised it could be diet!!! Have not had any cheese all week  (its just a convenient sandwich filling eh) i have olive spread anyway and i only have milk in my porridge and tea so have brought a variety of oat ,rice and almond milk to see how they taste in tea!!!! Not a big cream  or butter eater so thats not gonna be hard to stop eating .....now chocolate on the other hand may be harder but good old plain 80% stuff is ok in small doses ...i will after a month introduce goats milk and goats yoghurt to see if the runny nose returns ....but today on my run i blew my nose twice and thats cos of the wind normally i would be constant tissue in /out of my pocket so its looking good and its worth a try...

Toby hope you get your house jobs done this weekend

22/06/2013 at 22:31

Wtnmel i did have a little chuckle at your race suggestion

23/06/2013 at 14:04

Afternoon all

well after saying there was going to be no running this weekend i didn't count wife having a different idea's so we were out the door this morning for what should have been 7 mile run  which in the end turn into 8

Edited: 23/06/2013 at 14:05
23/06/2013 at 17:23

Afternoon all

Sounds like a good start to trainingYvonne

You can't help yourself Toby!

9.5k fun run this morning. It was cold, wet and windy but I really enjoyed it. No idea of pace as forgot to charge Garmin but it took me 64.24 so should be under 11mm ave.. Felt like a good pace on the rare flat bits and I managed to run (v slowly) all the hills, and embraced the mud and puddles. There were even steps...up and down! So pleased especially as beat my frIend who usually beats me

So, pleased with my running this weekend. Will have a day off tomorrow 

63.63june

23/06/2013 at 19:55

Rest day then Toby? 

Yvonne - sounds like you will have to slow down for me when we run together again if 9:30 something is your LSR pace now! Hope your diet changes do the trick.

Sal - glad you enjoyed run and woo-hoo to beating friend who normally beats you!

I've spent time today sorting through the letters etc. that have built up over the last few weeks. Took ages wading through it all but felt quite satisfied with it at the end. Have treated myself to some new shirts recently so took the opportunity to sort out some of the slightly tatty old ones today (Mrs WM will take them to homeless drop-in centre). 

Glasses of white wine on the go; meal deal is in oven; Mrs Wm waiting patiently for me to arrive with her dinner. I see that dinner is about ready so time for me to sign off ..

24/06/2013 at 14:13

afternoon all

well as it was such a lovely day today decided to do10 miles went OK i had decided not to look at my watch every 5 seconds and only look at the pace at the end after i had down loaded it have to say i was a little disappointed with the splits as i thought the run felt faster

24/06/2013 at 16:28

Checking Garmin; seeing mile splits; thinking I had run faster? That's always my problem Toby!

Club run tonight is "Siddington Canal - 25min out & back". We will let the 'speedy gonzales' members fly off ahead, then when we turn around, try to get back to base before they overtake us again. Hoping of course they haven't been tempted to turn for home after 24 mins. And we've not been tempted to cheat and do the same!  Mwah-hah-harrrrrrr  

25/06/2013 at 12:27

Really enjoyable club run last night along the Thames & Severn Canal.

Yvonne - I think this is the same disused canal you run along sometimes?

I ended up behind a group of ladies who are slightly faster than me so I had some 'hares' to chase on the way out. Our treasurer Andy wasn't running last night but I chuckled when I saw him standing on a bridge over the canal at the 2ml point - presumably he was checking up on us all! Those ladies ahead of me turned round after 24.5 minutes (tut tut!). But actually, that was really handy as I needed to dive into the bushes for a wee!

Feeling relieved    I set off after them. I'm happy to report I caught them all, overtook them and left them behind (go me!). I started getting overtaken in the last mile or so by some of the speedier runners so there were more 'hares' for me to chase after and I arrived back at base just inside 24 mins.

Edited: 25/06/2013 at 12:28
25/06/2013 at 13:58

Mel glad the club session went well

25/06/2013 at 20:34

Good evening All,

Just had a catch up and special chuckle goes to Mel - He seems to like going naked (I don't mean non garmin)

Too much to reply to individually but you all seem to be going well.

A quick update on myself - I have a 2 year plan for a major race coming that I'm looking at (will give me time to get fit enough) it is abroad and involves a swim a bike ride and a marathon to finish off with.  At the moment I'm running twice a week biking 3 times a week and a swim once a week all easy low heart rate.

Interesting conversation about HR when I first started running I did a Max HR test came out at 204, my max at a 10K when I was really fit and pushing it was 170 (about 188 maximum) I hit high 170's now just getting up some inclines.

Take care all & keep up the good work

25/06/2013 at 20:36

Well I'm beginning to feel like toby with not only doing my own training but also keeping my youngest daughter company as she embarks on her running career....with all the extra miles ....Jenny has an under active thyroid but after two years of doctors changing tablets and dosage her th levels are nearly normal and bless her she has put on a little weight which she would now like to lose ....as I've booked us a holiday for next year our money is even tighter but it means no food treats.... in her first week she has lost 4lbs and yesterday she started her run/walk plan so we did 2 laps of our local meadow with the dogs running 2 mins and walking 2 mins on the first lap the second she chose posts and trees to run to and between like a fartleck run....she covered 3.5 miles all together she was well chuffed but knackered bless her......I then went and did my half training which yesterday was a threshold session 10 min easy 15 challenging and 10 easy so another 4 miles on top of the 3.5 with Jenny ...today is a rest day for me but I'll do some Pilates later and I think Jenny wants to do a run but just 1 lap run/walk and the next just a walk...the dogs love this extra mileage 

Forgot to say she would like to eventually do some canicross with the dogs so they are in training to ...

And she was also amazed by poohbear and her weight loss achievements and her running determination ....Jenny couldn't believe her eyes when toby and poohbear came to visit a month ago ...so thank you to poohbear for giving Jenny her inspiration I really think this time she will do it ...

Wtnmel yes its the same canal i run down sometimes ...where did you start from?? well done on playing catch up the t shirts ..its a game im trying to play when i run a race ...

25/06/2013 at 22:29

I taker it that's an ironman CW? That deserves a GULP .just reading Chrissie Wellingtons autobiography and she makes them sound tough. Great challenge to undertake though.

Thats great that you're supporting your daughter Yvonne.

meetings from 12-830 today so glad to get out for an easy 4 tonight and see some sunshine. 

68.29june

26/06/2013 at 03:29

CW good on you you've got more determination in you than i have marathon trainings enough for me

26/06/2013 at 14:11

Hi everyone,

CW - nice to hear from you and hear about your plans .. sounds like that's an Ironman you are aiming for. FoxyLady (ex-poster on here) recently did a 70.3 in Majorca. FairyElephant (another ex-poster) is doing an Ironman next year. Hope you can pop back occasionally to let us know how you are getting on. Re HR training .. really must get on and do bleep test soon. It's true .. I do like getting nekkid

Yvonne - well done to Jenny re recent weight loss and run/walk progress. BTW, look on early pages of this thread and you would see various sprogs being referred to as HL1, HL2 etc. It's a LOTR reference and this thread being about HM's. Re the old canal, we started from Siddington but I think the bit between there and Cricklade no longer exists (swallowed up by the water park?). I always use the "catch the t-shirt in front" method in races .. I followed B&T's t-shirt for ages at Corsham.

*waves* to everyone else

Club intervals/hills session this evening. No idea where we will be going or what exactly we'll be doing .. just know it will be hard work.

26/06/2013 at 16:09

Afternoon all

Well just a little 3 miles for me today have to say it was nice down here again today so just chucked on a t-shirt, shorts and a pair of running shoe was out the door and home again in roughly 25 minutes as i didn't even bother taking my Garmin today

26/06/2013 at 23:08

Evening all! 

Yvonne - hope cutting out the dairy helps. There's lots of dairy alternatives around these days so hopefully you don't starve. Well done to your daughter as well, both on the weight loss and the running.

Mel - funnily enough I think I'm busy on the day of that race...  glad the club run went well - always good to have someone to 'chase'!

Toby - still lots of running for you - well done! And good to hear Mrs Toby is still running too!

Sal - well done on the fun run - sounds tough! And glad you got to get out in the sunshine tonight.

Cw - definitely sounds like an ironman to me too - how exciting!  Best of luck with it all.

10k race for me tomorrow night - hope its not too humid by then!

27/06/2013 at 20:33

B&T - funny I'm busy too that day 

CW - nice to see you pour your head round the door. 

Not much running for me this week, only a 3.5 miler on Monday, planning on 8 Saturday, life has just kinda got in the way this week. Really need to get back on it next week. Off to Wembley Sunday to see Olly Murs and Robbie Williams, so hoping to be in some fit state to run Monday evening. 

27/06/2013 at 21:27

Evening all

How was your race B&T-cold and wet here so good for racing!

How were your hills Mel? That's what I did tonight 6x300m uphill at 3k effort. Went well but felt tough on my legs at the time

71.58june

14,301 to 14,320 of 14,953 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.