GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

14,421 to 14,440 of 15,267 messages
28/07/2013 at 19:11

Hi everyone - a flying visit while I am cooking sunday roast. Mrs Wm has been banished to the living room and is in there with her feet up as she has been making jam all afternoon. Will catch up properly during the week ..

Just wanted to report I managed to get out and do just under 9mls this morning. Time was same as the last two times I've done this route (1h 36m .. 11.05 mm pace). But it was really hard work and boy do my legs ache now. That's no doubt due to the enforced layoff recently as I haven't been able to run in the heat. I'm hoping now it's cooled off I can get back to a regular running routine. But I am beginning to wonder if I've got enough time left to be properly ready for Chippenham in Sept.

30/07/2013 at 07:34

Mel - me too I don't feel as fit as I did when I trained for Reading - I'm aiming for an 11 mile LSR this weekend  , got the tempo session from hell this week too, so that will tell me how my fitness is going.  Why oh why do we do this? Lol

30/07/2013 at 09:15

Dee probably cos we love it and we are not lazy gits!!!! Oh and deep down we secretly enjoy it lots!! Oh and the achievment when weve trained and ran our race to know we did our best ...

My daughter made a lush dutch apple cake the other day too ,just thought id mention it as the cake talk has been down a bit of late ....and if anyone wants to know dont put peanut butter in with your porridge and banana ,it may sound a nice combination and it is with a sandwich but leave it out of porridge !!!

30/07/2013 at 19:53

Evening all

went to one of Alison gym sessions yesterday felt all right afterwards but went out for a run today Alison gym sessions yesterday felt all right afterwards but went out for a run today and boy did i struggled legs were like lead did just under 7.75 miles took me just over an hour

30/07/2013 at 20:27

You're right Yvonne - wouldn't keep dragging my sorry butt out if I didn't enjoy it, just find the last 6 weeks if HM training hard, but, I know it has to be to get round. 

Sounds one good gym session you had them Toby. 

Tempo session from hell completed felt  on the last one, but, got there did it!

Reading HM date has just been released 2nd March, hmmm a spring HM? Lol

30/07/2013 at 21:24

Absolutely crap run tonight. Was aiming for 5-6 easy miles but had to stop after 2mls and rest for several minutes (couldn't get my breath; legs felt like lead). Canned the run and ended up doing a walk/jog on the way home - tried running home but ended up stopping at least 4 times on the way back. Am assuming it's the after effects of Sunday's run which totally knackered me out. I didn't enjoy tonight's run one little bit and am seriously thinking of jacking in the idea of doing the Chippenham HM. Will try running again on Thursday and see what happens

31/07/2013 at 11:51

Mel sorry the run never went well but we do get them hope the next one goes better

31/07/2013 at 21:20

Was going to say I slept on it but I was awake during the night and amongst other things, was thinking about yesterday evening's run. Have been thinking about my running generally during the day and have decided I'm going to give Chippenham HM a miss.

As an overweight 61yr old I find it difficult enough to train up for races, especially HM's. Some of you may remember I vowed never to do another one after getting cramp at Bath HM two years in a row. Then I changed my mind. But with the recent layoff because of the hot weather I've lost any fitness I did have. Remembering how hard it was on Sunday and my abysmal run last night I've decided I'm wasting my time trying to get ready for a HM in six weeks time. I'll still do the 10ml run in Tring that I've entered as that isn't until mid-October. But I'm going to go back to my original idea .. forget about HM's and stick to 10K races. As I was telling myself last night - it's case of quality over quantity and flogging myself trying to put in the miles is pointless .. better to stick to shorter distances and try and improve my speed.

01/08/2013 at 16:32

Afternoon all

Well just 5 miles for me today it has warmed up again struggled again in the heat will rest up now till Saturday

03/08/2013 at 07:11

Morning all

well we have Yvonne coming down today and were going to run part of the Bristol H/M course it also give me a chance to practice pacing her before the big day and Yvonne a chance to see how far she can run at that pace

03/08/2013 at 08:02

Aaarrrggghhh

03/08/2013 at 08:21

Toby/Yvonne - sounds good/a challenge to me, look forward to reading about it soon.

11 mile LSR fir me today once I can drag myself out  

03/08/2013 at 12:24

11.5 miles done in 1h56mins, that's 5 minutes quicker than when I was training last time for a HM, looks as though the tempo sessions from hell are having an effect , really needed to know in my head that I can get that distance out on the road comfortably. Not so worried about my fitness level now as the temp was still 22 degrees, starting to look forward to Chippenham now instead of dreading it

03/08/2013 at 16:35

Have just got back from running with Mr Toby...

We ran parts of the half marathon course in the city centre and up the portway under that lovely suspension bridge (note to self stop gawping at the bridge and how high it is and run faster!!!) My plan was for an 8 miler 4 at HMP and 4 easy we did just under 9 miles with an average time of 9.13 (according to my garmin ) Tobys said different!! Still need to run faster to get my sub 2 hour ...i havnt been running with gels or sugared sports drinks so i think now is the time to start experimenting as i find i start to get tired from mile 6 and then get a spurt again at 10 miles ...so i need to keep the energy levels up to get me through the dips..i know i can run a sub 2 hour as i did it at brighton in 2012 but the time never stood cos of the balls up on the course....

Toby has given me some advice on my plan, as i took it with me to see if there were any improvements i could make for faster running , i have 2 runs during the week that are only 20 to 30 mins long so im to go balls out on those and try and run at a 8:? pace but faster than 9 min mile pace ......also my midweek run of 40 to 50 mins try and run that at around the 9 min mile pace ....keep my long run as it says either easy or at HMP......so with 5 weeks to go its balls out....yee ha !!!

Note to toby, my legs hurt though, now ill need a little 2 mile dog walk to loosen up!!! I also need to do more work on my hamstrings as i felt they were letting me down and i didnt have much strength in them today.....so lots of positives from today which is only a good thing!!!

Dee well done on your run today too ...

Edited: 03/08/2013 at 16:41
03/08/2013 at 16:48

Sounds a useful exercise Yvonne that Mr Toby knows his stuff

03/08/2013 at 19:41

Heres the geeky stuff from my garmin

Elapsed time 1:22:17... actual moving time was 1:21:54

Mile 1....8.43  best pace 6.39

Mile 2....8.52  best pace 6.21

Mile 3....8.55  best pace 5.31

Mile 4....9.17 but moving time was 8.59 (stopped for lights) best pace 6.00

Mile 5....9.16  best pace 7.38

Mile 6....9.22 best pace 7.51

Mile 7....9.21 best pace 8.24

Mile 8....9.35 best pace 8.17

Mile 9....9.42 best pace 8.17

Total miles 8.92

Moving time pace 9.11

Elapsed time pace 9.13

05/08/2013 at 04:25

will probably do 10 today if i get up in time to go to the early weight watchers meeting if not it and i over sleep  will be 5 as i won’t have time to do 10 and go to later weight watchers meeting

05/08/2013 at 15:40

Well 10 miles for me today the whole run took 1:26:16 with an Avg pace of 8:28

05/08/2013 at 21:34

Only 3.4 miles for me today time was 30 mins , not happy, but legs were like lead after Saturdays LSR. 

Nice pace for you though Toby

06/08/2013 at 07:42

Dee thats still in under a 10 min mile pace, so i would take that as a positive, hope your having a rest day today .....

for me its a rest day after building up the intensity of my running the last few days, todays rest is very welcome, although, i will be doing some strength work ie the dvd from hell..

For those wanting to know about the weight lost for myself and my daughter jenny ...jenny has been steadily losing and only has 3 pound to go to have lost her first stone

Myself i started at 9 stone 11 pound and am now 9 stone 1. pound so only 1 more pound for my running weight i was in 2010/2011!!! The weight crept on when the running stopped over last winter...

And yes we still eat cake ,jenny makes the best banana muffins ...good recovery fuel after a run

Toby i may have to swap legs for the half marathon, ill have your "go faster legs" you can have my," im trying to go faster legs!!"

14,421 to 14,440 of 15,267 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.