GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

14,481 to 14,500 of 15,338 messages
22/08/2013 at 15:06

well 10 miles for me today not the quickest I've done it in at 1:34:38 but it was a combination of a hard night at work and the temperature has gone up again making it far too hot to go flat out

22/08/2013 at 20:24

Toby - still not a bad time. 

Mel - hope you got out for your run. 

Tempo session done 15 minute warm up run 25 minutes comfortably hard 10 minute warm down.  Number came today for Chippenham HM - feels real now, forgot it's only 3 weeks away

22/08/2013 at 21:25

Bristol is the same day Dee our numbers get sent out beginning of September though like you say only 3 weeks away .....I booked a holiday for July next year back in June  everyone thought I was mad but here we are nearly September .....after Bristol I have cricklade half then swindon half both in October then marathon training starts hopefully I'll be celebrating a place in London too as well as brighton but this is the 5 th year for entering the ballot so I don't hold out much joy for getting in ....November sees me off to a spa for 2 nights my mum is 65 so 5 of us are going mum myself both my daughter's and my future daughter in law .....then Christmas .....

23/08/2013 at 13:36

Toby - well done re 10ml run. Yep, it was warm 

Dee - well done re tempo session. 

Yvonne - have never understood how VLM ballot works having heard stories from people. Enjoy your spa break in Nov. And go wash your mouth out for mentioning the 'C' word in August.

I got out and did 4.5mls yesterday evening. Did a different route to what I had planned and water ran out by the end due to it being warm. But time was okay-ish (10:20 mm pace). I discovered when I checked this morning I found two more Gore-rillas last night (for the Fetchpoint game). But I'm already in the draw as I had collected my 5 Gore-rillas by the end of last week.

23/08/2013 at 22:28

WTNMEL it's not my fault I mentioned the c word ...blame tesco they have the festive chocolate tubs for sale already complete with festive decoration on the lids ....was very tempted to start my c shopping there and then with some heroes now with added toblerone my fave ......only 5 pound a tub 

24/08/2013 at 11:50

12.9 mile run completed - 2h9m12s not bad for an LSR. Ran a different route to what I normally do, as there have been a number of attacks on women (of the sexual nature) where i usually run, and went along the water front  and into a country park and ran around it using different paths and stumbled across (not literally) some commonwealth war graves. Didn't even know they were there, all very well tended and looked after, was really peaceful, very moving experience have made a mental note to run there again. 

Yvonne - cant say that I understand the ballot either and as for the 'C' word auurrgghh!!!! Don't blame it on the choccys 

Mel - well done on your run too

Edited: 24/08/2013 at 11:52
25/08/2013 at 23:39

Yvonne - £5 a tub but probably five pounds weight gain too. And don't tell me you won't have eaten them way before xmas and will end up buying another tub I could just about cope with xmas if it wasn't for the likes of Tesco starting it so early. Drives me up the wall and means by the time xmas does arrive I am totally fed up with it all 

Dee - well done re 13ml run - good time too. And always nice to discover new routes.

I did my 7.25ml route around Ciren Park and had a 'scare' on the way round. Garmin started beeping and displaying 'heart rate too high' message. It was showing 220 so I stopped and walked and it went down. Tried running again and it shot back up to 220. Walked again. Started running slowly. HRM stopped working at all then showed 120 when I was working hard uphill (normally 170). Stopped again, then showed 60 (heart rate is never that low, even lying in bed). Realised by this time the heart rate monitor was knackered and the figures it was showing were b******s!

26/08/2013 at 09:56

trying to fill the blanks in Mel - balloons???

26/08/2013 at 18:56

I thought the word was bulldozers ??? 

26/08/2013 at 20:18

Evening. 

What a lovely sunny bank holiday 

Spa weekend sounds like a lovely treat to look forward to Yvonne

Glad your heart is ok Mel!

great long run Dee. Scary about your usual route (be careful) but also good to find new ones.

Nice long dog walk today then ran/walked 5k with an old running buddy. Nice to catch up in between me apologising for being so crap!

26/08/2013 at 22:52

Evening all! Just popping in to say I'm back sorry to have been absent, but I hate announcing to the world via the internet that I'm going to be on holiday! Had a lovely 2 weeks in Italy. No running, but plenty of swimming. Also plenty of carb loading practice  - potato pizza anyone? Small panic that it's now less than 3 weeks to Chippenham - seen to remember this happens every  year!

Just had a quick catch up. Sounds like some good running going on, some birthday celebrating, some old job goodbyes, holidays and Yet more running. I'm feeling guilty now - best get back to it tomorrow!

27/08/2013 at 07:32

B&T myself and toby were just saying the other day you've not posted for a while ...glad you had a nice holiday and had just that a holiday!!! I can never understand why people still run and exercise on their holidays surely it's a time to relax and fully recharge your life battery ready for the onslaught of the next year until the next holiday ....unless your a celebrity and it's only a few weeks between each holiday!!!! 

Would you recommend malmsburyhalfmarathon I know the weather was pants last year but is it a nice course?

27/08/2013 at 10:31

Dee/Yvonne - ballooons or bulldozers? Hmmm ...must be a man thing

Sal - you'll soon find the fitness will come back if you get back into your running.

B&T - welcome back. I struggled around 7mls on Sunday (hrm monitor readings aside) so I'm sure I've made the right choice deciding to give Chippenham a miss.

27/08/2013 at 11:57

Thanks for the Welcome back guys It really was a lovely holiday, but I really struggled around 6.87M this morning so  I hope I've not lost too much fitness. This happens every year I run Chippenham!

Yvonne - Malmesbury was a lovely course, as long as you like little deserted country lanes. There wasn't much support last year, but then the weather was atrocious so I don't blame anyone for staying indoors! There were a few minor niggles with the course (like a small path leading back to the start / finish along which I had to battle against runners & families who'd finished the course and were heading in the oposite direction - many with umbrellas). But the course is well worth running, if only to spot the pub with the best name in the world ' "The cat and Custard pot"

Mel - I'm very glad it was your HRM that was going wrong and not your heart!!! Scary stuff!  Oh and, of course you meant to say Bollards, didn't you? 

27/08/2013 at 12:28

Cricklade is a little like that if your a back marker ie run a half in 2 hours !!! I don't mind as long as there are markers and Marshalls so I don't get lost !!! Toby was thinking of slipping in another half, so a choice of 2 ,devizes or malmsbury half marathons as there are none in his part of the world around the time he is wanting to do one ...

Toby and poohbear came down last Saturday and we enjoyed a nice 11 mile run and a catch up over lunch ...I'm up to stay with them for the Bristol half in just under 3 weeks now eek 

27/08/2013 at 12:32

Welcome back all those that have been on their holibobs. 

See the Mel fill in the blanks is continuing 

only a 4 mile recovery for me last night, legs felt heavy, got back to the sweatshop to find that I had ran to fast again  37 minutes (cant even do that when I'm trying for a good time!) at least it explains why u couldn't manage the 5 I'd set out to do

27/08/2013 at 18:55

Evening all

were staying at my Sister-in-laws and have no internet so have not been able to check my messages up to now but have come up to Leicester for a couple of days run wise went out Saturday with Yvonne and Poohbear did 11 miles and then did 10 miles on Monday going out with Poohbear and Snowmaiden tomorrow for a 5 miler

B&T welcome back

28/08/2013 at 15:24

well went out for a run with Poohbear and Snowmaiden today and did 5 miles once we got bad to the house i carried on and did another 5 so 10 altogether

31/08/2013 at 23:23

My hilly 10ml race is only six weeks away now. Been doing 7mls for the last few weekends so need to up the mileage. Just been on Fetcheveryone devising some 8 and 9ml routes in Cirencester Park that take me home the long way round. If I'm feeling up for it I already have a 10ml route I can do in a few weeks time that takes me home an even longer way round. Family visiting tomorrow so alarm has been set for 7am - will try and pop back after my run to let you know how I got on.

01/09/2013 at 07:03

Have a lovely run wtn Mel 

I had a sports massage on the old legs yesterday ,thought I just had tight hamstrings, turned out I was tight in all the legs, so elbows were used and everything ,is it weird for me to say I enjoyed it ....mind you to touch my legs today they feel a bit bruised !!! I was told "you can take it can't you" as in, I have a high pain threshold!!!  

Will try and do a little recovery run today .....I did do an 11 miler Friday afternoon then had massage yesterday so will try and go slow today ....

14,481 to 14,500 of 15,338 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.