GULP just entered my first half marathon

feeling sick now!

15,341 to 15,349 of 15,349 messages
30/12/2014 at 16:31

Becks welcome to the thread although it's gone a bit quite on here just lately good luck with the H/M if you done some 10k's then a h/m shouldn't be too much of a problem

31/12/2014 at 08:49

Thank you! Managed 4 miles yesterday, just going to work my way up slowly.

31/12/2014 at 14:15

Afternoon all

went out yesterday and tried the running shoes out did 10 miles they seemed OK and just come back from a run with Snowmaiden we did 12 which is a real achievement for her as that’s the farthest she every run this time last year she was using a run walk

i have completely revamped my training plan and gone back to the old try and tested one I’ve used for Brighton over the last 5 years as it's the same one Snowmaiden will be following have to say it was nice to have someone to run with today

Becks that's sounds like a good plan

Edited: 31/12/2014 at 14:24
01/01/2015 at 20:02

Reality check.

If you can do four miles with about 8 weeks to go look at jog walking it. Or if you want to run the whole thing you need to get to 10 miles in about week six. Just concentrate on that. The big thing here is finishing and if it's your first one...A PERSONAL BEST!

And a lifetime best but let's not go mental here.

Remember six miles is just under HALF WAY AROUND! And you are two miles off that.

So keep going. Keep training. Keep getting the miles in.

And if it's Bath, try not to beat me!

02/01/2015 at 08:32

John - It's Reading so no worries there! Fairly determined so am aiming to run it in a respectable time (i.e. not last!). Going to up about a mile a week apart from long runs taking it slightly further.

08/01/2015 at 10:39

Reading is a really well supported half marathon and it's pretty flat (they've even removed one of the bigger hills from last year's course to make it "easier"). An ideal one to give a go. There'll be loads of people in the same boat as you too so you won't be alone when plodding.

I've entered as a lot of people I know are running. I'm supposed to be running a full mara soon so may do this as a training(ish) run rather than a race.

One downside of Reading is that if you're at the back (and I don't stand anywhere near the front!) it can take quite a while to cross the start line as people are let out in waves. Don't think I crossed the line until about 30 minutes after the official start time. (Although who knows, might be different this year) If it's a cold/wet day it's worth taking an extra layer you can throw away before starting running.

08/01/2015 at 12:18

Ah great advice thank you! Slightly annoyed as ran 5 miles earlier in the week and found some pretty bad foot pain so been advised by GP to stop running for a week and take it steady - this doesn't entirely fit with my training plan *eek*.

09/01/2015 at 15:00

Hello All

Just thought i'd mention it on here but the yearly RW forum 6 comp is currently open, basically you pitch for a mentor to help you through your spring marathon training and provide helpful hints etc, it appears that this year they're very short of entrants for the 4hour+ slots, so if you'd like to apply knock up a quick thing saying why you'd like a mentor and pop it onto the below thread;

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/rw-forum-six-ish/285860.html

toodlepip!

18/01/2015 at 18:43

Hi everyone

Well that's gone and done it, I'm being trained alongside Becks over on the Spring marathon thread. I has Seren as a mentor 

and Wibble!!

Hope you all had good weekends of running

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15,341 to 15,349 of 15,349 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.