half marathon training

21 to 40 of 64 messages
24/01/2011 at 14:02
Hi guys,

Jess L mines the Roding Valley half... Dam it! would have been nice to know someone running the same race... I've heard the Roding valley is a pretty hard route eeeek! Your training looks like it is going great. what training plan is it you are following now?

Welcome K, look forward to hearing about your training progress and success. Have you got a date in mind to aim for? And are you following a training plan at all?

My training is looking up this week and I have had a pretty good week, managed 8 miles sunday -longest run yet. My legs feel really tight and heavy today though. Is it because i've up the mileage? Any tips to aid recovery??

And Lisa Beaney congrats on giving up alcohol that's a massive achievement and I just checked out your blog some lovely pictures of your routes Good luck with the mileage increase!

Thanks flip flop for the advice and the link is really good haven't got through it all yet but Moraghans principle makes a lot of sense...and 3 half marathons 18 months and to get your time down by that much is impressive... I'm hoping for 2.30ish.... Have you got any plans for future events?

Happy running guys, hope everyone has a good week!

p.s. I'm glad I am not the only one that experienced tiredness training for their first half as I was starting to worry.

24/01/2011 at 14:24
I find a soak in a warm bath helps the heavy feeling muscles .... I have also had a sports massage... One of the most painful things I have ever done but it made a real difference on how tight my calf muscles felt.. To the point it is something I will be doing on a regular basis..
24/01/2011 at 22:46
Hi all.... I'll also be attempting my first HM at Steyning in six weeks time - I'm not as far along in my training as Lisa, but I think there's still time - looking at the course map, it appears the last mile and a half (just after what looks like a hellish last 'climb') is all downhill, so I'm trying to fool my brain into training for an 11.7 mile race, knowing that if the worst comes to the worst I can just launch myself down the hillside.

I don't have a structured plan other than getting out for a long XC run on a Sunday on the lower South Downs hills around Goring, with smaller runs including intervals during the week. I'll try and get up to four runs and about 30-32 miles per week by the end of February, and then I'll slacken off.

Can't wait for the weather to improve by even 4 or 5 degrees though as I hate running in tights.

Take care all, stay safe

Spartakrunner
24/01/2011 at 22:56

Hi everyone

Ahh Buzzing Bee - yeah it would have been lovely to meet up with someone.  Have a great race though.  This is the training plan I have been using.  http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/basichalf.htm

I've found that website really helpful - I have enjoyed all their training plans and they have videos (which I need) about proper running form, tips, etc.

Good luck to everyone one with their races.  My estimated time for a HM on the RW race predictor is 2hours 30, so if I make that I'll be very happy.  Getting nervous now though as it's my first one and have a terrible feeling I'll still be running when they're putting the traffic cones away

JESS x

25/01/2011 at 08:20
I am planning doing a half in April/May.  NOt decided yet going to see how the next few weeks pan out with how my legs handle the increase in milage.  Did 5 miles on Sunday at constant 9 min miles.  I am doing the Hal Higdon plan with a few repeat weeks.
25/01/2011 at 21:52
Good luck - I've just signed up to my first in June, Potters Arf.  I may start a blog to track training.
26/01/2011 at 10:08
Sports massages are quite expensive aren't they? A friend recommend a foam roller, has anyone else used them at all?

I've looked at the Hal Higdon before there are some big increases in Sat mileage some weeks, especially week 6-7 must be tough... Great work with the 9 min miles ...

Hi James good luck with the half,have you started training yet? and And Spartakrunner looks like your training going well and I cant wait for the weather to warm up a bit either! Bad news though apparently its going to get colder again at the weekend Fingers crossed the weather man is wrong.... What distance you aiming for this Sunday?

Happy running guys keep at it!
26/01/2011 at 14:14

Foam roller - known as torture eqipment for anyone into S&M there are great. They do work, as do wooded rolloing pins (you can pick one up for a £ so no big outlay there).

I think a lot of people swear by their foam roller... or is that swear at it. Yes get one.

There is plenty advice on RW US site re exercises and stretching and core and flexibility.

http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-238-0-0-0,00.html

I read it ften and take little snippets at a time.

I am hoping to start running again soon.

26/01/2011 at 15:02

There's no pain like a foam roller, unless it's a physio stripping your IT band.

Definately worht it though

27/01/2011 at 10:12
Hey,
Thanks for the advice I went for a 4 mile run last night on the treadmill (I'm a big wimp and wasn't brave enough to venture outside), then got one of the trainers to show be how to use the foam roller correctly and the pain at points in my quads was horrible. But legs felt so much better after def going to invest in one - and k the words IT band and stripping sounds very painful....Hows the training going k??

And Biker-mouse found some helpful stuff on the runners world site never really gone through it before so thanks. There are some post run stretching video routines I might give a try and hope you get back into running soon.

Anyway hope everyones trainings going well and for most ready for your weekend long runs i'm going for the 9 miles Yay me
27/01/2011 at 14:26
I'll have to see if I can find any videos on YouTube about foam rollers...... Could be a money saver !

I'm having a day of running today and off to a belly dancing class instead
27/01/2011 at 16:19

Trainings going fine thanks BB club run last night, enjoy going out with the club as it takes me outside my comfort zone into faster running territory. IT band stripping is more painful than child birth IMO

Loads of videos on You Tube about foam rollers Lisa. Belly dancing sounds fun.

Hope everyone is well and injury free.

30/01/2011 at 23:38
Completed my 11 mile run today bring the weeks total to 24.4 miles.....

What surprised me was I managed to maintain my pace for the whole run. I always find the first 15 mins hard work.....

My schedule next week looks slightly different with no long runs but all of them between 4 and 6 miles... Then back to the long runs the week after. At least now I think I will be able to complete the HM...
31/01/2011 at 05:36

Well done Lisa sounds like you've had a great week.

You'll complete your half mara no problem.

01/02/2011 at 14:15
Woohoo well done Lisa your complete the half marathon easy how quick did you do it in? and belly dancing would love to give that a go How did you get into it?

I really need to join a running club bet it helps with motivation aswell! Would be a bit nervous I couldn't keep up though!

I've had a rubbish few days very frustrating Friday there was not enough hours in the day to train. Sat I felt so tired and drained I didn't have the energy. Finally got out Sunday for a slow slow 4 miler - it was meant to be my long run day very annoyed at myself!Hopefully will pick up again this week Trying to be positive!

Happy running guys
01/02/2011 at 19:14
Hi BB

I started belly dancing after picking up a card in the local bakers.. It just sounded good fun ! Luckily none of us take ourselves too seriously.......

I managed the 11 miles in 1:57 the average was 10:40 per mile... Which would make 13 miles about 2:20..... But then I think I need to add on another half hour for the hills ! If I complete it in under 3 hours I will be happy, 2:45 would be great and I will work as hard as I can to get to 2:30 but wont be heart broken if I don't manage it, for me just completing a half marathon will be a major achievement.

I had a couple of bad weeks like you have described in Jan..... But it will get better, and getting out and doing a something is far better than nothing.

I haven't joined a running club, like you I don't think I would be able to keep up and also sticking to the fixed dates and times would be difficult for me, I normally fit my running in around work, I quite often work evenings and weekends.

I also enjoy running on my own, I can be in my own world, listen to music and just enjoy it I have always been worried that making it more regimented would stop my enjoyment.
01/02/2011 at 19:27
I can highly recommend running clubs I am really really slow but someone always runs with me. My club is really friendly and they are always keen to encourage and pass on tips etc.
03/02/2011 at 12:38

(first post ever on RW here, btw)

I'm down for the Readin HM in March, which will be my second HM, the first one being reading two years ago, which was my first ever race (can't recall exactly what get me persuaded to try it now

I seem to be progressing okay so far, on week 6 of training for it, and a lot more structured than the last time. When I did reading last, I had no idea of training plans, so just did runs of various lengths, all at roughly the same speed, with my "speedwork" being indoors sports I was still doing. Was quite happy to get around in 1.50, but my legs were stiff for a while the next few days

Now with following a training plans, and more milage the last time, I'm hoping to improve the time, but not sure how much I should be realisticly be aiming to chop off, I'm aiming for 1.40, which I think is atainable, time will tell. Am following the sub 140 training scheule so far, so have two 12 milers under my belt that last two weekends, it was quite good to be able to finish a 12 mile run at about the same pace as my original HM without the legs feeling totally burnt out.

Am still new enough to running to  find it hard ot grasp how much difference 5 minutes makes, years ago I would have heard 1.40/1.45/1.50 for a HM and thought they were much the same time, but now it's starting to sink in what differnece these minutes can make! Just hope that I haven't underestimated the jump from 1.50 to 1.40, even if this time aroundI'm training a lot better.

M.

04/02/2011 at 11:39
Morning,

Welcome IrishMartin, and as a second timer you can give us all advice ..... Your defiantly get your time down if your following a structured program and considering you got 1.50 is pretty fast without a good training program! What's the secret?? Let us know how the trainings going? and good luck

The training has picked back up and its only really sunk in today 3 more Sundays till race day eeeek....Had a really good run Monday and Wednesday. Tried to get up before work today for a 4 miler but stupidly forgot to change the settings on my phone alarm opps. 9 miler tomorrow though really excited about making up for my pathetic run last week wooop.

Oh and biker mouse i've been trying some Post running yoga stretches found there really good, Thanks again for the link been browsing here and there: http://www.runnersworld.com/video/1,8052,s6-1-0-5,00.html?bcpid=2888993001&bckey=AQ~~,AAAAABjSC4E~,YBF36HfcFnaHKh5WF6u2O3Ty4YWSlyjE&bclid=1504353751&bctid=737678634001 and

Glad your enjoying the belly dancing Lisa might have to look into it if i find a class that's not too serious! I've hear pole dancing is a really good workout aswell, but I wouldn't want to turn up to a bunch of long legged people that take it far to seriously

Ooooo one more thing I found a running club close to my house - going turn up first and see the standard before I join though...

Hows everyone else getting on! Nearly there.....

B-B

04/02/2011 at 13:16
Buzzing - sorry to stalk you on here, but if you wanna come back to the weight challenge thread you are more than welcome to join Team Leftovers.  I would have PM'd you this rather than grab you on here, but you do not have your PM enabled
21 to 40 of 64 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.