Have I taken on more than I can handle?

5 messages
03/09/2002 at 18:25
Hi
I am training (if that is the right word) for a 10k in 6 weeks, one in November and a half marathon in the spring. My ultimate goal is to run the Stockholm marathon 2004 with my younger brother (who is very fit) my brother-in-law (who is extremely fit) and my husband (who is not..).
I need goals to aim for, otherwise I get disillusioned and give up. At the moment I can run a 10 miinute mile quite comfortably for 5 miles (which is the longest I have run) Do I stand a chance of making it or should I throw in the towel now??

Catrine
03/09/2002 at 18:39
Catrine, of course you don't give up.

10k is just over the 6 miles and a 5 x 10 min miler comfortably would enable you to do it faster than me tomorrow. With six weeks training you can build on this to ensure you have a 6 mile+ run in you already and give you a psycological boost on the day to treat it as a race.

You can then find half marathon schedules on the internet for beginners, and intermediates. For example, I shall follow the Bath Marathon website one from late December to mid-March(if I get a place).

A marathon in 2004. Well, you have plenty of time compared to many and all your present training is good stuff towards that goal. Take one step at a time and after the half you can reassess the goal.
03/09/2002 at 20:28
Hi Catrine,

Don't know if it will help you gain confidence, but I built up from running 10 minutes and wheezing for 15 to running the London marathon - so I have no doubt that you'll be fine.

You're right to break it down into smaller races. I ran my first 1/2 marathon a couple of years ago and it seemed to take ages to get up to that distance.

I found that getting to running for an hour was the hardest part - and then I was able to add distance quite easily after that. I jumped from 5 miles to about 8 or nine in no time at all.

A half marathon next spring gives you about twice as long as I took to build up to that distance - so you'll have no probs. If you haven't decided which 1/2 to do, I've run the Leeds 1/2 for the last three years - in May.

Keep at it
03/09/2002 at 20:40

Thats seems a very sensible plan to me Catrine, I'm going 0 to 10K in 5 weeks you are building up slowly and always have something to aim for, have you got a structured traning programme?
03/09/2002 at 21:35
Hi all,
thank you for your morale boosting words.
Yes, Gemini, I do have a training plan. I "stole" it from the Running world web site.
I have done 3 miles tonight. It still feels really good and I do enjoy my runs.
I will write in to the forum occasionally and let you know how I get on.

Ta
catrine

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.