Heart Rate in cold Weather

Does the heart rate automatically rise in cold weather

2 messages
08/11/2012 at 09:34

The temperature has been around 8° degrees that last few morning but today it was 1.0°.  Before beginning my run I walk for 5 minutes as a warm-up and usually I  manage to just get into Zone 1 ( 50-60%).

This morning however I had only walked a few paces and I was already at the far end of Zone 1 heading for Zone 2. 

Does the cold weather affect the heart rate by increasing it in order to try and stay warm ?.  I had a good sleep and everything was normal except for the elevated heart rate.  My run was fine but I was 10bpm over my average and yet I felt as though I was breathing running quite easily.

08/11/2012 at 14:45

Could be all sorts of things. Last week I had a late night and a few drinks and thought it was that that was causing it to beep at me after about 100 metres. 24hrs later I had a heavy cold and that was more likely the reason. I was run down and did not know

I have had some days where I get 50m down the road and its beeping at me, the next day I might do a mile. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.