Hello, I'm new. Advice welcome

21 to 33 of 33 messages
29/04/2012 at 18:41

Thanks The_Runner_83. I've just registered on the website. Never heard of it before but it sounds good.

mathschick, yeah fingers crossed that with a bit of training I will be well within my goal for my 30th

I've just hit my target for my race for life so that should also inspire me to keep up at the training x

29/04/2012 at 19:14
Louise - if I can run a half marathon anyone can! I am not a natural runner, I am really slow, but I have completed 3 half marathons now. It is a great feeling!
29/04/2012 at 19:41
I would have to agree with matchstick on that one. I smoked for 12 years and completed my first half marathon with 13 weeks training so if i could do that then any one can.

I think the other thing that hasn't been mentioned is make sure that you eat well. It helps.
29/04/2012 at 20:11

The eating well part is the bit I struggle with  I tend to lose a stone and then fall off the diet wagon and pile it back on.

Thanks for the encouragement both

29/04/2012 at 22:07
don't think about it as a diet - just concentrate on healthy eating with the occassional treat.
29/04/2012 at 22:15
I always eat well during the week and then eat what i want (within reason) at the weekend.
29/04/2012 at 23:07

Hi

I've just joined and this thread has been really useful. I'm currently working out which race to pitch at and I'm thinking a 5k too but i'm wondering how long I should leave it to be able to run it confidently.

29/04/2012 at 23:43

Hi Louise,

I used to be quite a bit larger back in the day (by about 3.5 stone tops). I joined a slimming club where you didn't have to pay to get weighed when you were at your target weight. You could reset that target to lower as long as it was at least 7lb different from the old target. So what I would do was set a target to lose a bit of weight (7-14 lb say) then keep it off for a few months, then once I was confident that my current diet and exercise was maintaining the weight loss, I would set a new target weight 7lb+ lower and start shifting the lbs again.

After years of dieting and putting it back on I had finally realized that the thing to work hardest at was not losing it, but keeping it off. The exercise really helps with that. Weights are good because the extra muscle raises the base metabolic rate, so you burn more cals while doing nothing and I found them quite calming and relaxing to do (actually).

The slimming club was also helpful because you had to keep a record of what you ate and it steered you in to healthy habits - lean protein, lots of vegetables and fruit, healthy fats like nuts. TBH I fled the group sessions as soon as I was allowed though!

It was not easy (it isn't, obviously) but one of my parents had just had a diabetes diagnosis so I was motivated. I was about your age at the time too. A lot older now but have kept the weight off. Lots of frozen veg in the freezer & tinned veg / tinned veg soups / fruit in fruit bowls / plain nuts helped (filling up on decent food = too full to eat crap). Have kept weight off so it's possible.

All the best. Sounds like a nice 5 mile race would do you btw. But as the others have said it is quite possible to go from 5k to half mara in a year just by adding "a few more mins" on the weekend run most weeks, if that catches your interest. If you look around you find quite a few people not gifted with speed end up doing the longer events because it's impressive enough just to have finished!

30/04/2012 at 08:02

HI Sharron

How far can you run at the moment?

Why not try going to a parkrun? (google 'parkrun') they are all over the country, free 5k runs on Saturday mornings, some people run/walk them too. ON the website you can look at the results for the one nearest you, and figure out from that the speed of the people that go - there will be some really fast people but others will be really slow too.

30/04/2012 at 16:13

Louise, Kryten's right, your stride length won't be the reason you're slower than your running buddies. It's probably like you say, just down to the extra weight you're carrying. As you lose it you'll gradually get faster, but be wary of training too hard as you do risk injuring yourself. Extra mileage on easy paced runs is fine but speedwork, interval training, hill work, all are tough and the more overweight you are the higher the risk of injuring yourself, as the extra weight puts added stress on your joints etc.

I'm by far the slowest at my running club, as we go out for 6-10 mile runs which are usually intervals, fartleks or tempos, and I just can't keep up with the pace they set, yet I'm still fit enough to run ultramarathons, albeit rather slowly. Don't worry about always being at the back of the pack, just keep plugging away at it and you should notice a gradual improvement. Though if the folk you run with are all gradually improving too, you might always be a bit slower than them, which could get annoying I suppose!

A good idea might be to do some non-running exercise which will help with your overall fitness and weight loss but won't be the same risk of injury as just increasing your mileage. Try swimming, cycling, gym classes, weight training, using elliptical crosstrainers, that sort of thing...

30/04/2012 at 20:32
Hi I agree with Kryton upping the amount of times you go out the better you get.
when I decided at the end of January to start running I set. Myself a goal of a 10k in 8 weeks and then just went out every other day following a couch to 10k app on my iPhone. I was hard I was completely hopeless to start with couldn't even run for 5mins without feeling like I was going to pass out. But over the weeks I just got better and better, i still find it really hard, but did my third 10k yesterday in 60mins. Just need to break the 60 mins now.
Keep it up.
06/05/2012 at 23:04

Hi Mathschick, not far - 5k and v slow.  I will look out for parkrun as it sounds like a good place for me to gauge my pace.  Thank you

22/05/2012 at 11:36

hello,,,i am new here,,

Edited: 13/08/2012 at 00:28

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.