Help! My toenail's gone black

1 to 20 of 71 messages
04/09/2003 at 21:36
Despite changing my running shoes for a much roomier pair that are really comfortable and supportive (proper off road gel ones that cost a packet), my toe (the one next to the big one on both feet!)keeps on getting really numb each run I do and the nail gets blacker and blacker.

I keep having to paint my toe nails as I am becoming rather self concsious at the faintly disgusted looks that appear on my colleagues faces when they cast their eyes downwards!

Help!

Any hints/tips that'll make a difference? My feet have never been my most attractive feature and I'm now thinking that I'll have to keep them covered up at all times in order to not frighten any children/horses/innocents that I might stand near to.
04/09/2003 at 21:40
I have at present two black toenails so welcome to the club. Changing your socks may help.
05/09/2003 at 07:06
Welcome to running!
05/09/2003 at 07:42
The occasional black toenail is a badge of honour and should be purposely shown-off to friends to freak them out/impress them.

05/09/2003 at 07:54
My friend, who frequently has nails fall off, just paints the skin anyway - if you look quickly it's hard to notice.

For black nails, just get the darkest polish you can if you insist on showing your tootsies to the world.

I personally think it's the ridge at the toe of the sock that does the damage so if you can get seamless socks it might help.
05/09/2003 at 07:59
Seamless Sock Shop here I come!

Thanks.
05/09/2003 at 08:20
Started running. First race:a bigtoe nail went black. Eventually it grew back and then on my next race (a half) went black again! That was March 03 and I still have a half black nail. Sort of becoming used to it now.

05/09/2003 at 09:48
Mines not black but a sort of purpleish and feels bruised. Also is the one next to big toe on left foot. I've got 1000 mile socks which seem good but also puchase X-Socks and did long run in them on Sunday. Bruiing seemed to appear after that. I'm not using the X Socks and seeing if bruising goes away.

Prozac
05/09/2003 at 10:12
Snap! After reading the threads, I think that I'm going to be proud of mine now!
05/09/2003 at 10:45
I'm about to lose my 4th toe nail..and have just invested in some 1000 mile socks to see if this helps...apparently they do...i wore em to plod for the first time last night and my feet really did feel weird but no sign of any blisters or lose nails...:-)
05/09/2003 at 13:42
My black toe nail, which I've had for two years now, has recently fallen off, and I feel really lost without it. It looked like a witch's toe might look. I've had it taken off a few years ago, and the doctor found three toe nails which had grown under it and had all gone the same way!

I'm proud of mine because it shows I'm a runner!!
05/09/2003 at 13:48
This is a bit grime. When I had a black toe nail it felt as though there was a load of pressure behind it/it was throbbing. I got a paper clip, heated it up using a lighter and pressed on the top of the nail. I kept doing this until it had gone through. It was gross all this blood came out...but I didn't loose my nail and it all healed up fine. Sounds grime but afterwards it felt like heaven.
Pink    pirate
05/09/2003 at 14:53
*nice* Effie!
Pink    pirate
05/09/2003 at 14:54
X-socks Prozac? How are they different to 1000 milers? Still get blisters in 1000s
05/09/2003 at 16:12
try shoes at least a half a size bigger, I have never had a black toenail and I think this is because I always get shoes that fit so that I can fit my thumbnail inbetween the end of the shoes and the end of my longest toe.

Xsocks and 1000 mile socks are two different makes of socks, I dont like 1000 mile socks as i still get blisters in them, but xsocks are very comfy and I have been ok in them so far. 1000 mile socks are the double layer ones, but are very simple apart from that. Xsocks have more tecnhological stuff in them than some running shoes!
Pink    pirate
05/09/2003 at 16:14
cool might try those then - so much for the 1000 mile sock guarantee then!
05/09/2003 at 17:37
Ok so I must get used to having black toenails- fine!

It's so uncomfortable though- throbs gently most of the time.

Looks like lots of other layers of nail have grown around/above/below it too-----looks really delightful!
05/09/2003 at 17:42
When mine first went black it was pretty nasty. The doctor pierced it and released pressure underneath then left it to heal/drop off.

If its actually hurting it might be worth having it checked to see if you can have it made more confortable.

I use Thorlos. Great socks and wouldn't be witout them but I still got the black toenail and there is one area I always get blisters.
05/09/2003 at 20:01
After a year of various nails going black and dropping off, experimenting with socks and shoes..I am convinced that you need larger running shoes. Often the 2nd toe ends up sticking out beyond the big toe when running and the foot is forced down with pressure, and the foot spreads as it gets hot anyway.Try getting bigger shoe with roomier toe box.Also I find that if I a sterilised needle slightly between nail and skin underneath immediatly after run when nail is blue/red, this immediatly releases fluid stuff..eases pressure and saves nail, howvever since getting bigger shoes I have not had any black nails fo 5 months
05/09/2003 at 22:18
As annajo says; there is more technical BS in the XSock literature than you can shake a stick at ie they apparently have an Air Conditioning Channel !!! Phooey.
Total pap. They're comfortable but time will tell if they're causing the bruised toe.
I haven't had any blisters with the 1000 miles but paula and rob have. great guarentee!! I happen to like them. The Thorlo's look too warm for my liking.
Just a personnal thing. And maybe useful in winter.

Prozac
1 to 20 of 71 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.