HELP!!

need your help !

8 messages
18/04/2008 at 09:36

I have been running for about a year now, and have started running with a friend (who has never run before). We have been running for about  2 months now but she is finding it harder as we go along, as she keeps getting stitch. She does run through it at times, however the pain gets so bad we have to stop. We are only just managing to run 1Kilometer before having to stop due to stitch.

This is having a negative effect on her mental state as she is becoming more and more disheartened, as she isn’t improving. I am trying to motivate her the best I can but it’ doesn’t seem to be having any positive effect. I make sure she doesn’t eat a couple of hours before we runs, however still no change.  I would really appreciate some advice as I really would like her to succeed and we are entered in the Race for life in June (5K), which I would really like her to be able to complete. Hope you can help!
18/04/2008 at 09:58

I've found this website about stitches, which may help.

It sounds like the problem is caused by poor breathing technique, so maybe if she can focus on that it will help things along.

I've also found this website which shows techniques your friend can practice to reduce the risk of a stretch.

Good luck and let us know if it works!

18/04/2008 at 10:14
Thanks i shall put to the test!!
18/04/2008 at 13:09
oh and it isnt just side stitch , it can change places and normally under the best bone area so quite high up!
18/04/2008 at 15:22
Sounds like they're all breathing related, so hopefully the breathing exercises will do the trick.
23/06/2008 at 15:44

To: grrrl

Just to let you know that my friend and I completed the Race for life, she found it much easier as I got her to practices some of these breathing techniques whilst we were training and it seemed to do the trick!

Many Thanks

23/06/2008 at 16:58
If it's any help at all, I find that it's drinking rather than eating that gives me a stitch.  If I drink anything in the two hours before a run, even a sip of water, I can more or less guarantee a stitch.  I don't drink during a run either, even if doing a half marathon, as this also results in a stitch.  I've only discovered this through trial and error, but it's worth considering.
29/06/2008 at 09:46

Brilliant

Congrats to you and your friend

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.