Hi from a newby - after some advice please!

4 messages
10/06/2011 at 12:38

Hi

I'm new to running and am currently on week 4 of a training plan I found on here (running 5 minutes, walking 2 minutes, 4 times).

I've also joined a running club for beginners who are coincidentally following the same plan!

The problem I'm having at the moment is breathing! Although I feel OK when I'm running, I don't SOUND ok - my breathing comes out in loud wheezy gasps and I'm worried that somebody I pass is going to call an ambulance or something! It seems to go back to normal after about 30secs of the walky bit.

It isn't too bad when I go out with the running club as it's a flat route along the canal - but when I go out on my own there's a few slight hills which seems to make all the difference.

I was fairly fit and active before I started running, I'm not overweight and don't have asthma or anything.

Does it get easier to breathe? Or are there any breathing techniques that may help me?  Or am I just destined to be loud and wheezy forever? (I DO feel OK and can keep going despite sounding otherwise!)

Thanks!

10/06/2011 at 12:54
Could be sports induced asthma-look it up online
10/06/2011 at 19:27

Thanks - I'm not sure, I do cough a bit towards the end of my runs too. I suppose I'll have to go to the doctor  to get checked out if it doesn't get any better soon.

Strangely, the best run I've ever done is after I did 10mins on the cross trainer before I set off!

10/06/2011 at 20:02
Well if it is, it does improve as you get fitter

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.