How am I so slow??!

4 messages
18/06/2012 at 11:24

I started running just before Christmas and worked my way up from nothing to running 5k on my long run. I have just started following a 5k training plan as I am doing Race for Life next month.The only thing is, it takes me just over 45 mins to run 5k. Last year I walked Race for Life in 53 mins at which point I was seven stone heavier and very unfit!. I am disappointed that despite all the training I have done I am barely any faster than I was walking. Will I ever get faster?

18/06/2012 at 11:41

8 minutes improvement may not seem a lot, but it is! especially for someone who started just before christmas.

how far can you go in 8 minutes? well given your current speed, a little over half a mile! a surprisingly long way really.

Don't put yourself down, if you had got worse then be worried but as you have improved give yourself a pat on the back.

in answer to your question, you have already got faster - keep up the training and you'll get faster still.

18/06/2012 at 11:52

I agree, I would pat you on the back for doing so well!

Losing 7 stone is no mean achievement, and you are doing great guns with the funning. Your body has undergone quite a change, be patient with it, and let it adapt.

You will find that you continue to improve, as te weeks go by. Good luck for your RFL, you will find the On-the-day time will be a big improvement on last year. Just be patient. I would love to hear how you get on!

18/06/2012 at 23:07

Thanks guys, you have made me feel a lot more positive about my progress. I suppose I'm a bit too eager to see big improvements instead of looking at how much has changed.

I will keep you informed Voley!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.