How can I improve?

5 messages
24/10/2002 at 18:27
I have just started running again and have been running on the treadmill in the gym 3 times a week as follows:
40 mins - easy run
40 mins - intervals - 10 x 30 seconds with 90 second inbetween and warm and cool down jog
40 mins - incline fast walk

How can I improve these workouts to get faster?
24/10/2002 at 21:57
How long since you were last running regularly? I was under the impression that you shouldn't really do intervals as a beginner until you had built up a good base level of running.
24/10/2002 at 23:01
Thanks for your reply, I used to race for a local club and even managed a 1/2 marathon, took me quite a while though, then I moved and it just gradually got less and less. It has been about 6-8 months since I was running at the gym although I have been doing cycling through the summer. I am only doing a top speed of 10kph during my intervals. Do you think I should build my base running up again first?
25/10/2002 at 23:02
Scrub incline walk. Replace with fartlek session - increase or decrease speed every couple of mins. Doesn't have to be too fast - great for strength and speed. Join a local club? Enjoy.
29/10/2002 at 21:54
Thanks for that Gavin. I tried the fartlek session last night - I managed 8 sets plus warm up and cool down. I loved it! I have thought about joining a local club but feel I need to get a bit more confident first and be able to run for at least an hour comfortably. I was thinking of finding a local 5k race and entering just to see how I got on! Scary!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.