How do I motivate a teenager?

21 to 32 of 32 messages
23/10/2009 at 16:10

Actually, no - I wouldn't, runnerman.

If he WANTED to apply to X Factor then that would be fine and I would support him, but I wouldn't try to pursuade him to if he wasn't interested.

There's nothing wrong with encouraging people to do things they WANT to do.  If they don't want to do them, and you keep on about it, then it's just nagging!

I can hear it now, thirty years down the line......  "You want to do xxxx...". 

No, Mum, I don't want to.  If I wanted to, I would.

seren nos    pirate
23/10/2009 at 16:13

runnerman.................they need encouragement but they need to find their own motivation...............they can find enough motivation for playstation and face book then they do not lack motivation its just not in the direction that you want it................

therefore encourage

nom
23/10/2009 at 16:18

This seems amazingly simple to me.

Don't go on about it to him, don't "gently encourage him" (with parents theres no such thing, kids see straight through it!), just mention to him, ONCE:

You did really well on that run we went on! If you want to continue running it could help your fitness and speed for football (I sexistly assume he likes/plays football like every other teenage boy I know), it'll help you get a great body AND you might meet some hot girls if you join a running club".

Then LEAVE IT. Covers the most important things to boys

1) Being better than other boys at something

2) Being sexy

3) Hot girls/hot boys (whichever way he's inclined). 

If he still isn't interested, he isn't interested. Accept it! 

23/10/2009 at 16:34
Sounds like a good tactic, nom! If he enjoys entering races, encourage him to do so but please don't spoil his running byt turning it into something else he 'has' to do.
23/10/2009 at 18:15
I agree with wilkie. If parents try and make their children do something or obviously really want them to do it, it puts the children off. When I was in my teens I was made to have music lessons and I just ended up hating it, not having a choice whether I went or not. If you challenge him to beat a certain time or bribe him or whatever I just don't think it'll work. You'd be better off saying to him that he has a real natural talent for running and would he like to take it any further?
23/10/2009 at 18:27
I don`t think its about forcing children to do something. But if a kid is good at something, then a little bit of motivation and encouragement is helpful.

You want your child to do well at school, get qualifications and would nag if he/she doesn`t do well.
If you found out your child is smoking, you will nag him/her to stop.
I would assume parents want the best out of their kids and their future.
Its good for children to have something that with encouragement they can stick with.
There`s no harm with nagging if you only thinking of their best interests.
24/10/2009 at 11:08
rm, I agree that parents tend to nag about schoolwork etc - but that's partly my point. Life with teenagers can be enough of a battlefield just trying to make sure that the important things are covered never mind starting in about something they're supposed to be doing for pleasure.
24/10/2009 at 11:46

Teenagers can be a battlefield. Its a age where they heading towards adulthood and think they know better than you. They start using their month which was normally used for eating.

But as a parent, you want to get the best out of them. Education is important. But if a teenager is
good at a sport or anything else. Why just let them get on with it for which they might give up.
You don`t need to tell a teenager they got to do it. But you can always encourage, motivate and inspire them to continue something which the good at. If teenagers don`t get the motivation and inspiration, they would become nobodies.

24/10/2009 at 11:55

whole new can of worms.............

i spoke to one of our lcoal athletic clubs about a trial training session and they have advised me that 10K is too far given his age - anyone have any views on this

24/10/2009 at 13:56
I think athletic clubs operate differently to running clubs.
Rule states that a 16 year old can run a 10k race.
But some athletic clubs will only go upto 3 to 5k for this age.
I`m not sure whether the athletic club are doing the training session on
the track, so there maybe some difference.
seren nos    pirate
24/10/2009 at 14:09

athletic clubs are very different to the running clubs. an athletics club would probably need then to start short and build up getting used to the track.they also like the kids to do a mixture of events like discus , long jump even if they are not interested.........

A running club ignores al the field events and short distances and only does runnning............

The distance depends on how much he has been running in the past......does he take part in school cross country.........if he hasn't done any running then if he does lots of 10 k races and long training runs he risk the same as all of us of doing too much too fast too soon...........

29/10/2009 at 07:58

To anyone encouraging their kids to get into running - a word of caution - Both my sister and I were both considered great runners at school age and both joined an athletics club.  We were both pushed really hard and got some great results and plenty of medals HOWEVER - I ended up with osgoodschlatis disease in my knees (attributed by many orthopaedic surgeons to over training while still growing) and could barely walk from the age of 16 to 19.  I was told I'd never run again - happily I started again in my mid 20s and have v slowly worked my way up to a couple of marathons.  I still have hideously disfigured knees though!

My sister fortunately got through it all unscathed - possibly because she was a couple of years older? She had a great degree of success and ran for the england junior squad a couple of times, but then when she left home at 19 she discovered how much of life she felt like she'd missed out on and quit completely and has never run since!

I know these are both extreme cases - but really let youngsters enjoy their running,  get them good training advice and encourage them gently, if it's really for them they'll find their own enthusiasm and motivation!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.