How to overcome mental block?!

21 to 32 of 32 messages
12/09/2012 at 00:32

Hi peeps just wanted to throw a few words in...

Funky - The brain is the hardest muscle to train! Most of your running will be in your head, you can feel fantastic but if your mind isn't focused your done.

My biggest advice is to learn to enjoy running, it makes the longer runs easier because you WANT to do them!

Grab some inspiring books..."Born to Run" is a must!

I started out struggling to do a 5k a year ago, I now run 13 miles as training because I want to! I just read loads of books and got hooked! Im now training for my first marathon which im going to do on my birthday in December, not as an event, just on my own, then training moves on ready for next August when I will be doing my first 50 mile Ultra marathon!

I stripped my running down and started from nothing and spent alot of time trying to work on my running form......still working on it but thats part of the fun!

I now run in sandals after spending the best part of a year moving to minimal footwear.

I know all of this looks like a bost but it is really not ment as that its all just ment as food for thought....consider this...

Has anyone ever taught you how to run?     No?   Me too!

Read loads and it will help you to be inspired to run, help you to focus and hopefully help you cut through a lot of the rubbish that is around!

WOW ok I seem to be writing a book of my own here so I shall shut up! 

Edited: 12/09/2012 at 00:33
12/09/2012 at 09:15
Please do
12/09/2012 at 10:40

Funky,I have been running for 3 years now and also take part in league races as part of a team. My last race was a disaster,I started off badly and convinced myself I couldn't do it. I nearly gave up halfway and had stopped at the Marshall point and burst into tears. My team mate was behind me and dragged me round the rest of the race where I got to the end and was crying so much I could hardly breathe. I honestly felt such a tit but everyone was so supportive and my next run was far better. Keep going and never give up.

12/09/2012 at 11:52

I just wanted to say that this has been a very encouraging and positive thread, many thanks to Funky and all who have shared their ideas and experiences.

12/09/2012 at 13:28

cheers Sussex runner....always nice to have a positive comment to brighten your day

12/09/2012 at 17:16
Warkie wrote (see)

"Once the weakness has gone all thats left is the strength" "Not failed before this won't be the first time" "The mind gives up long before the body needs to"

Not sure if these will help but when I am doing a LSR they get me through the hard bits...

l dont know about anything else but that there has really struck a cord with me and will be what l recite in my head when l go out for my big run at the weekend.

01/10/2012 at 20:30

Hi all!

Just to update you - I took all your suggestions to heart and ran another 10k on Sunday. I still felt nervous (may have had a little cry beforehand!), but took a breath, and just went for it....and managed to knock 8 1/2 minutes off my time! I ran faster than I ever thought possible for me, and felt great doing it....even on the big, long hill.

So, big thanks to you all for your help! Bring on the next race

01/10/2012 at 21:06

Yay, well done. That's fantastic.

I can't remember where I borrowed it from but I use the mantra "I am running fast and strong" as it seems to fit into my stride pattern.

Good on ya. You should be really proud of yourself. 

01/10/2012 at 22:19

Funky thats fantastic. Well done. Im so glad this one was better for you. Onwards and upwards.

01/10/2012 at 22:38

Been reading your thread Funky, really chuffed for you - you can keep building on the positivity your last run produced for you.

It really is an interesting one though, what drives runners on when evrything hurts, personally, i think the pain actually fuels my determination to succeed. that and not wanting to look like a right chump!

01/10/2012 at 23:30

Woo! Fantastic time!

I find that mentally writing a race report helps as I'm going along. I also find that even if I feel like there's no way I'll keep running while I'm actually in a race, the rose-tinted specs go on straight afterwards and I'm convinced I had a brilliant race and enjoyed it!

02/10/2012 at 16:14

Well done you!

I ran my first 10k run on Sunday and was a complete nightmare all morning even though I had run the route several times in training. OH even said if this is what you are going to be like I'm going away with the kids next time you are in a race!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.