I need inspiration

1 to 20 of 30 messages
24/03/2003 at 00:12
That's it, I've had it... I've been trying as hard as I can and I'm getting nowhere, not faster and not thinner.

Pleas someone inspire me with their story of triumph over adversity!!
24/03/2003 at 07:36
With the exception of my last thred, I've lost 6lbs to date. Only started running a month ago. Hoep that helps.
24/03/2003 at 07:37
With the exception of my last thread, I've lost 6lbs to date. Only started running a month ago. Hope that helps.
24/03/2003 at 07:58
I've lost 9lbs in 8 weeks, with a combination of running, walking and (to tone the flab) simple muscle build-up stuff like sit-ups and push-ups. And I'm eating more (although I think the fitness kick has made me think about what I do eat, ie loads more fruit & yoghurt, less chips!). Having said that, I accept I've not got the frame to ever be like Kate Moss, but I'm happy with where I've got to at the minute.

If I start to lose motivation, I go and sit at a pavement cafe in Bath, watching people of my age waddling past (you know the ones, spray-on leggings and midriff-exposing t-shirts) and think "with a bit less effort and a bit more lard, there go I". That normally does the trick.
24/03/2003 at 14:20
MC - have been trying too hard? This running & exercise thing is supposed to be fun, I'm a great fan of goals, targets, milestones etc but sometimes I just do it for me because I want to.

I'm feeling frustrated because I overdid it a few weeks ago and strained both knees, so on Thursday I went out a did just one mile (my normal short run is 3m), no time pressure no nothing - when I got home I felt like I'd won a big battle with myself so rewarded myself with couple of large red wines.

Walked round the zoo with my family for 4 hours yesterday which I wouldn't previously have counted as training but now I do. Are there any variations you could try to spice things up for you for a bit - swim, cycle, gym, walk etc [marathon hopscotch session :)]
24/03/2003 at 17:16
Froggy Jo - If that's the view from the pavement cafes in Bath, I might join you soon...

As to motivation, if I knew the secret, I'd be a lot fitter than I am. But there's no denying that runners lose weight - it just might take a little time at first. I guess the trick is to enjoy the running, not just aim for an end result - although I agree, that's why most of us start running in the first place.
24/03/2003 at 21:30
Dear Melon, Don't be sad,
don't let it get you down,
It's much more fun to run
with a smile and not a frown.

Running makes you fitter
and stronger that's a fact
as long as while you train
you keep your bodywork intact

You ask for inspiration
we'll give you that for free
but your desire and perspiration
will shift that weight - you'll see!

Stick at it Melon - run for fun.

Steve.

24/03/2003 at 22:11
Thank you for your messages of support, specially Cat in the hat (the rhyming couplet kid!!)

Gonna try doubly hard tomorrow - Here's a shout for all you Gazelle Wannabees!
25/03/2003 at 08:45
Melon,

That's the point - don't try doubly hard. Think of ways to enjoy it twice as much. (Eating a Magnum whilst running does not count!)
Trying harder and harder is likely to just do you in and de-morolise you.

Steve.
25/03/2003 at 14:01
Melon - I suggest going for a run through a park early in the morning where there is a playground and you can have a go on the swings and stuff. It will be deserted of children if you go early, and is just fun. Not exactly a triumph over adversity story, but motivates me!
25/03/2003 at 21:01
I am 37 and had balooned to 18 stones by last summer - combination of too many chips, too much guiness and nowhere near enough exercise - the final straw was when my size 38 inch waist trousers started too get waaaay too tight.

Anyway, I started dieting and lost a couple of stone (low carb thing - NOT Atkins, don't think I've ever eaten so much and still see the weight coming off, although more slowly now)
After I lost a wee bit of weight I started swimming again, I was a national standard swimmer about 20 odd years ago, so it was a gentle ease back in. After getting a bit of stamina back I started going to a circuit training session 2 or 3 times a week to build my general fitness and a couple of months ago someone finally persuaded me to go for a run... started with 3 miles and have slowly built it up now to 11 miles (I've only done this once and feel so good about it now)....
Anyway, where am I now? ..... down to 14.5 stone, size 34 waist and feeling fitter than I have done in many years...

Set yourself a couple of easy to reach goals and treat yourself to something special when you reach each one, sort of worked for me.... now all I need to do is pack in the fags!!!!!
Suffolk Punch    pirate
26/03/2003 at 10:21
As Nick said, try something different. Cycling, roller-blading simply going for a walk (better if it's hilly), walking to the shops instead of taking the car, use stairs instead of a lift. Get of the bus/tube a few stops early and walk.... you get the idea.

Just being active will keep you thinner and motivated.
27/03/2003 at 10:05
MC, about a year ago, i was nearly 15st and went to my local gp for a routine medical, and discovered i had high blood pressure. I'm not seriously overweight, but my lifestyle of minimal exercise and sedentry work with an unhealthy diet was a contributary factor. Anyway, decided that this was a wake up call that i needed, and decided to take up running. For the first month, i couldn't even run a mile, but i kept on pushing myself, convinced that i can do it. I lost a bit of motivation after a while, so then i decided to enter the great south run in sept last year as a motivational factor to carry on training. I made the race and went around in 1.37 and i was shattered, but i thouroughly enjoyed the racing experience. So i decided to join my local running club, who to this day, have given me lots of invaluable help and motivation. I also discovered cross country running this winter and i totally enjoyed this culminating in the highlight of the year so far, a 15m xc in beenfleet earlier this year in atrocious weather conditions. Knee deep in mud conditions, rain, swirling wind and falling over no less than 6 times, but i finished it, and i'm totally fearless now. In less than 3 weeks, i'll be contesting my first london marathon, and i can't wait. But the thing that has made me come this far is that i enjoy my running. I believe, that if you don't enjoy it, you don't get the full experience from running. Although my main aim at the start were for health reasons, i never once thought about running as a means of weight loss. Today, my blood pressure has lowered, and i weigh in at 12.5st. the weight has come off naturally and the fact now is that i eat better, not because of losing weight but for the fact that i want to be in the best possible condition for a race. If you think about doing something too hard, your expectations can easily be downbeat if you don't achieve the result. Just enjoy the running and let nature take it's course. I absolutley love club nights whether it involves speed/hill sessions or an evening run, and i enjoy the thrill of racing on sundays. To date, i have contest over 20 races for my club over 10k,10m,1/2m,15m,and 20m, in my short racing career, and everytime i step out to race at the moment, i'm setting a new pb as i am getting fitter and faster. Just njoy what you do and don't see it as a chore. If you were to tell me that in little over a year that i will be running the london marathon, i think i would have died of a heart attack from over laughter, but here i am today, and so can you!ENJOY!
27/03/2003 at 17:47
I agree with Simon set yourself targets it really helps. I am training for the marathon after running for a year (little by little) which has helped me give up smoking. I have lost a bit of weight on the scales but more importantly now fit into my suits which I grew out of a couple of years ago.

Keep smiling and run outside when ever you can rather than on a treadmill as the fresh air (and other runners)gives you motivation to keep going.
27/03/2003 at 18:10
I find outside harder

The heckling doesnt happen in the gym, and ive been gong to the gym for so long that im immune to funny looks now
27/03/2003 at 19:58
I find outside harder also, but the time does go much quicker! (if that makes sense!)
27/03/2003 at 20:03
Yes it does
Im slower on tready

But the psychology of outside is hard
27/03/2003 at 22:57
Hippo, there's one way around all this, run first thing in the morning. Not only do you guarentee your daily run but it also peps you up for the rest of the day, traffic and heckling is virtually non existent, and have you ever run when it is a beautiful crisp morning and the sun is glistening, that's when i can run for hours. I find the psychology of running on a treadmill is harder. When i first went to the gym, i ran on the treadmill, and could run upto 1 1/2 hrs, but i could not do it on the road 50 mins max. Running outside is pshyically more demanding than on a treadmill, therefore the benefits of being able to run in different conditions, on different surfaces, on different gradients and on winding routes cannot be replicated on a long run on the mill. I only now go to the gym to do tone work, and that's about once afortnight. Come rain or shine, sleet or snow, i will always prefer to run outside. I know there are some people who prefer to use the treadmill, and if you're comfortable with that, then that's fine, but i think it should be used as a back up to road running, than the other way round.
28/03/2003 at 03:27
Wow, I can't believe the response to my message, thanks to all fellow runners, your are all stars!!!

You have ceratinly given me inspiration, I hope anyone who reads this also feels the same. The overriding message I see here is be happy with yourself, be realistic with your goals and most of all enjoy yourself.

Thanks MC
28/03/2003 at 07:27
Spoony, I often run early am!
Thanks for the advice
1 to 20 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.