If I am a following a fitness Programme, is it ok If I go Swimming

Is it ok to go swimming?

6 messages
15/07/2012 at 19:39

If I am a following a fitness Programme and run 5 times a week, is it ok If I go Swimming on the same day that I Run (and Workout) Im following an Army fitness programme, or is it too much exercize? I need to lose weight & get fit

M...eldy    pirate
15/07/2012 at 19:41

IMO swimming would be an excellent recovery and I doubt it would harm your overall fitness

15/07/2012 at 20:40

No harm at all, good muscle loosener and aletrantive, non impact training. It cannot harm unless you train yourself to exhaustion.

15/07/2012 at 21:40

I  would agree with the above - run 7 days per week and find the tuesday night swim (easy swim as I usually have two kids to watch out for) quite good for the muscles, it must be the effect of being in the water that does it, but it really does help.

16/07/2012 at 07:56
Personally, if I'm staying in the pool for an hour and doing fairly brisk front crawl for the whole time, I'd want to give my body at least four hours to recover from the run and workout (I'm presuming you mean a gym-based workout). On days when I do this, I use it as a replacement for running. A 15 minute splash around, on the other hand, is great after a run or especially workout to loosen up and cool down.

I tend to try to seperate resistance-based workouts and running by at least four hours too. The exception to this is if I'm using a slow 3 miler as a warm-up for my gym work. I'm a firm believer that the body doesn't take as much from over-training.

Of course, triathletes will have a different training schedule.
16/07/2012 at 10:49

On days when I do this, I use it as a replacement for running. A 15 minute splash around, on the other hand,

http://www.avufo.info/g.gif

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.