Illness Advice

5 messages
22/10/2002 at 10:44
Help

I have had a nightmare cold for the last week. One of those ones thats not severe but persistant. I just cant shake it. I hadnt run in a week and went out yesterday and couldnt do a mile (I was up to 5 non stop). I have entered the Reebok 10 k in 4 weeks time. Iam going to leave training for the end of the week and eat a crate of oranges in the mean time. any advice, am i doomed??

Thanks
22/10/2002 at 11:33
No, you're not doomed. Get yourself to Boots with the following shopping list...

- Vitamin C (1000mg tablets).
- Zinc tablets.
- Echinacea tablets.

Take these, stay OFF the Lemsip and you'll be sorted in no time.

DW
22/10/2002 at 12:01
I'm a beginner and have just completed my fourth Great North Run - lots of walking and some slow jogging! This time as on previous runs - my hands became really swollen and painful during the run. I wasn't the only one as I spoke to another lady suffering the same.

I'm very overweight and don't train much before these events (shame on me I know!)are these the reasons for the swollen hands? Or is it something else? I sometimes get the same symptom while sitting still for a length of time too. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
(PS I really am trying to lose weight as we speak but have the willpower of a dead horse - any advice would be more than welcome!)

Jay
22/10/2002 at 12:48
Wheezer, a few days rest, aspirin and plenty of fluids will see off most colds and their remains. Vitamin C probably won't speed up your recovery, but I always find it perks me up a bit during a cold.

Jane - swollen hands are very common, and I think are related to circulation rather than weight. Wriggling your fingers every so often helps, as (apparently) does holding them above your head (but you do look a bit silly). If you need help and encouragement losing weight, there's a daily thread on the Heath & Injury forum (used to be called "Fat Club" but it now changes daily - today's is "getting +ve and slender club) where people post targets/achievements/exercise and also some general support stuff. Give it a go - you'll be made welcome.
22/10/2002 at 17:17
Thanks Nessie - Visited it and I've plastered myself across the screen and bared my all....well metaphorically speaking!

;-P

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.