I'm a whale and I need to sort my life out!

Newbie...

21 to 29 of 29 messages
02/08/2012 at 14:58

When I first started c25k I was only working 4 days a week so would go on runs the 3 days I had off. Several times this would mean running on 3 days in a row and I noticed my legs got really sore so I'd say try and avoid that. But other than that it sounds like you're doing well. Keep at it!

02/08/2012 at 16:13

well done, keep it up, it will get easier!

ditto on the parkrun advice, they are great for beginners and experienced runners alike from 8 - 80 (actually the youngest at our local one is 5 years old!)  - am guessing from the 5k run you are doing that you might be in the swindon area? if so there is a parkrun nearby

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/swindon/

02/08/2012 at 20:30

Well done! Just keep plodding on and you will get there. I started with 2 min run- 1 min walk about 4 months ago and slowly incresed my running every week. This past Monday I managed to run for 30 mins without stopping which is the longest Ive managed in years!

02/08/2012 at 20:45
Keep at it! The C25K is amazing!! I never thought I could be a runner, but am up to 8 miles now... I was a size 18 when I started, and just last week got my first size 14 since school!! I have combined this with a healthy diet, and you do get to a point where you begin to eat what you need to eat to run well and just don't want to put too much junk in your body.

I too would recommend going every other day, to give yourself time to recover... And just don't push it too hard... I am currently a victim of overtraining!!

Anyway, good luck and I am looking forward to hearing about your progress!!
02/08/2012 at 21:40

Cheesy, but I like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja9BFx5Mhqo

Inspires me anyway.

03/08/2012 at 10:22

that is a great video

03/08/2012 at 11:38
Welcome to the world of being a runner hanna

I started running 5 years ago, like yourself i just looked at myself one day and realised how fat and unfit i was. I weighed 18stone and would be puffing and panting just getting up from the settee or walking up the stairs, i also suffered from depression and anxiety and it just dawned on me how pitiful and pathetic i had become.

I still dont know why i chose running or what exacly was the trigger to go out one day but i waited til it was dark, i put on my baggiest clothes and went out and ran just over a mile ! It nearly killed me and i had to walk home as i was in such a state, took me nearly 2 hours before i got home !

2 days later i went out again and ran the same mile and turned and ran 400-500 metres of the return before walking, a few days later i ran a little further. Roll on 5 years and im over 6 stone lighter, i run 4-5 times a week, i race, i do cycling sportives and i run for my local club.

You've made a start and that is the hardest part, keep coming on here to update us
With how you are getting on amd well done !
05/08/2012 at 20:25

well done your already a winner making the decission to get fit...good luck you! 

05/08/2012 at 21:56

Good for you, Hannah!  The Couch 2 5k is an amazing plan - it really does work, I'm living proof.  Before that plan, once around my (local) block was enough for me to have to literally go home and crash!  Now, I've run 9 miles without a break (and I didn't have to crash upon returning home).

Have fun!

(Love the name, by the way.   )

Edited: 05/08/2012 at 22:05

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.