Improving tips for 10k - 10m

extending distances

8 messages
13/09/2002 at 12:20
Hi everyone,

I would like to extend my distances from 10k to 10m - any hints on how to do this without nearly expiring? I currently manage 10k in around 67 minutes, and I am quite happy to remain at about 10 minute mile speed for now. I am not averse to taking walking breaks if needed, but I am aiming to reduce these with time/experience.

Anyway, back to my question - there is a 10 miler I would really like to do at Ripley, November 3rd. Is it unrealistic to increase by 4 miles in a couple of months?

Any ideas for training would be great - thanks.

Go-slow
13/09/2002 at 12:52
Hi Go-Slow, no it isn't unrealistic, that's more than enough time as long as you've got a good base fitness. I went from my first 10k on 21st July to my first 10 miler (the Great South Run) on 8th September which I managed in 1:41:21 so we're about the same pace.

I just gradually increased the time of my long run on Sundays by 10 minutes each week and concentrated on 2 speed/hill sessions of about 30 - 40 minutes during the week. The week prior to the 10 miler I ran 81/2 miles and felt as if I could run further so knew I was going to be OK. I also did cross-training at the gym twice a week to boost my strength.

You'll probably receive lots of different advice (eg increase your mileage by 10% a week, increase the number of times you run each week etc etc) and I suggest you pick and choose the bits that suit you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

13/09/2002 at 13:05
Thanks Redhead,

I will take that on board and get a plan into action! Got a 10k next sunday, so will plan from then (-giving myself a short rest as well..!)

go-slow
14/09/2002 at 14:01
Hi, Go-Slow.
I've just been asked to work out a schedule for the same thing for one of my clients. The main sessions are the steady, fast run. the speed session and the long run. anything else is a bonus. I'll send the schedule to you by e-mail, just for your interest.
16/09/2002 at 12:22
Thanks very much, I really appreciate it! Even if I don't do that race, there are plenty of others, so I do intend to get there - and beyond!

Cheers

go-slow
M
17/09/2002 at 12:08
Dear Dangly Spice

I am taking part in my first 10K on Sunday but am keen to increase this distance. Would you be kind enough to forward me that schedule also.
Much appreciated.

Thanks
M
17/09/2002 at 12:22
It's on the way.
M
17/09/2002 at 12:26
Received it - cheers very much.

M

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.