Increasing a day!!

5 messages
04/03/2011 at 08:54

Hi Everyone,

I've been gradually building up for the past 2 months and am now doing 3.5 miles at about 9:30 min pace - 3 times a week.  I usually jog each Tues/Thurs & Sun  I go to a spinning class on Sat mornings.

My query is - how do i introduce an extra day into my routine e.g. If i felt like doing a jog today (Friday) - shall i just introduce it slowly by doing a 2 mile jog instead of my usual 3.5 or is this asking for injuries?

Any advice welcome.

Thank you

04/03/2011 at 09:29
Are you following a proper training programme or are you making it up as you go along? It it's the latter, find a programme and go with that.
04/03/2011 at 09:32

Hi,

I'm working to a training programme - but it says to start introducing a day into your normal routine slowly....but not sure what that means....so i'm wondering if i add a fourth day into what i normally do but at a lesser distance e.g. 2miles instead of my usual 3.5.

Ps..i used to make up as i went along and that just set me up with injury after injury....scheduled programme is working great so far (touch wood).

04/03/2011 at 09:48
Jeez, that's a big vague isn't it?

How about finding a different, progressive, programme. For example, the Runners' World programmes start of easy (relative, I know) and then get harder, introducing interval sessions, long slow runs, slow faster runs, and so on.

Have a look at the stuff here and here.
Edited: 04/03/2011 at 09:48
04/03/2011 at 09:50
Great. Than you

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.