Indication of Speed

7 messages
09/01/2013 at 09:09

As per my other thread those that have read it know i am going to be doing a 10k in May.

I am running with my sister who has advised she is taking 5mins 57 seconds to run 1 kilometre.

I know it is difficult to tell but if i am now running 3.3 km in 30 minutes on Week 2 Day 1 am I doing ok for pace bearing in mind I have 5 months to train?

Just got no idea what speed I need to run at. in time once i get fitter we will be running together so I can gauge it then.

cougie    pirate
09/01/2013 at 09:27
Just run most of your miles at a pace you can chat at. Once a week try a speed or interval session. I'd not worry about your race pace yet.
11/01/2013 at 16:37

You have plenty of time, you will improve, take it easy and stick to a schedual , most people go to fast in training. hope you do well.

11/01/2013 at 19:04
Why not go to a parkrun every few weeks and have a good blast over 5k. That should give you a good idea of pace and how you are improving over time. As said earlier do most if your training at an easy pace to build up the endurance.
11/01/2013 at 21:06

hi Millsy1977, i cant run that far yet, i am only running wk2 d2 so doing like 2mins max at a time. I have found a programe called Gmap and that seems to work out pace per kilometer, Hopefully that will give me an idea in a couple of weeks of where i need to be. Not sure though if 5.57 is quick or not though over 10km.

11/01/2013 at 21:06

thanks seth, i am doing ok not out of breath when i get after the exercise, at least not yet lol.

13/01/2013 at 20:22
Hi John, there's some very good advice above, and as also said you'll get faster as the months go by.

A 56minute 10k will put you about the middle of the results table, and finishing with the bulk of other runners. Why not take a look at the results from last years event?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.