Is there any merit to doing daily, very short runs before a half marathong?

4 messages
28/02/2013 at 12:32

As above,  does the idea of "Keeping the muscles ticking over" by a few small, slow runs hold any merit?

28/02/2013 at 13:19

It depends on the individual to some extent, and over what period.

The one race I did where I hadn't run for a few days before the event, I felt sluggish and it took me a while to get into the run.  Since then I've always done a short run (3 to 5 miles) on the day before the event - this keeps the legs "ticking over" and also allows you to release some of the nervous energy prior to the event (without depleting your energy reserves).   

07/03/2013 at 23:27
I used to have 2 days rest before,but got on better if the week before did just 3 short runs and one the day before.

Now I have a jog on day as well.but not far
10/03/2013 at 22:03

I just had a whole week off, ran a half today and PB'd again (same as the last time I raced a half, though I had 2 weeks off last time) - so for me I'm happy not to go for small ones to keep my muscles ticking over - I was aching to go out in the week though.  I may try a couple of miles the day or 2 before, next time.  I did a couple of laps of the track prior to the start though as it was bloody freezing, perhaps that's why I started fairly solidly rather than that hard first mile I usually have?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.