Is This Insane?

1 to 20 of 68 messages
03/09/2010 at 14:37

Hi, new member here! I've just decided to run in a 10k race this Sunday 5th Sept, a marathon the following Sunday (12th) and a half marathon the Sunday after that (19th). Am I insane for thinking I can complete all of this?

Just to put things in perspective: I'm 24 years old and haven’t run for over 2 years. The longest distance I have ever run is a half-marathon. In addition, I am about 10kg overweight. I don't do any physical activity at the moment and am not particularly healthy. On a good note I have never smoked. I should be able to complete the 10km and half-marathon without too much of a problem but will the marathon and the combination of all these races be too much for me.

Honest and helpful advice would be much appreciated.

PS I have a lot of determination and can usually run through the wall.

Chris

Edited: 03/09/2010 at 14:54
03/09/2010 at 14:52

If you've experienced "the wall" on a half marathon - then yes, in my opinion you will have a problem!

Good luck you crazy man!   

03/09/2010 at 15:02

I know it's going to be difficult but is it feasible?

Also, any advice on resting/recuperating in the days between races?

Kryten    pirate
03/09/2010 at 15:06

You've done no exercise for over two years and you want advice on how to rest?

I think you may have that part of it sorted.

It's the running that is going to kill you!

PSC    pirate
03/09/2010 at 15:08

if you race them then you will struggle - if you plod round and enjoy the marvelous company in the back of the field then you will have fun. Make sure you have some decent shoes - if you are planning to do this in your 10 year old Green Flash's you will break.

Recovery - drink milk after each run (or a protein recovery drink), cool baths, get rehydrated and stay hydrated, look after your feet, and if you start hurting know when to call it a day - there is no point running to the point of triggering an injury and never running again.

Enjoy it you crazy bugger!

03/09/2010 at 15:10
Wouldn't be feasible or advisable for me...... in fact I've been running for many years, have completed many halves, 10ks & marathons and run currently about 30 -35 p/w.  Even I wouldn't attempt what you are considering off no training etc.  But, give it a go if you want - it's your decision.  I wouldn't have thought any form of resting/recouperation would make any difference to how you feel on the days you are doing one of the events.
03/09/2010 at 15:14

Which events are you considering CK? You're not doing the Robin Hood Marathon on the 12th are you?  If so I'll look out for you.  Crazy crazy man.......... please let us know how you get on.  After all Eddie Izzard did something similar........ he's crazy too .  I like your ambition

03/09/2010 at 15:22

At the moment i'm definately doing the Sheffield 10km (5th) and the Great North Run (19th) and was thinking of squeezing in the Robin Hood Marathon (12th).  There is still places for the Robin Hood and since I have never completed a marathon before, it makes sense to do it now.

PS Eddie Izzard is my idol. What he did was just immense!

Edited: 03/09/2010 at 15:37
03/09/2010 at 15:27
Yeah - I love Eddie too - but if you watched the series the man really suffered and he did 6 weeks training!  I love your idea of "sense" - it really really doesn't make sense CK but - what the hell - just be careful.  I'll see you at Nottingham and give you a jelly baby at mile 20.  LOL  
03/09/2010 at 15:31

Sorry but why does it make sense to do it now

I haven't done a marathon before either but dont think i'd be sqeezing one in between a 10k and a HM

03/09/2010 at 15:32
Is it insane? Probably. It'll be something to laugh about once the pain has subsided, though. While others will (rightly and wisely) suggest that you don't do it, I'm inclined to say do it - you'll never know if it's beyond you otherwise.
03/09/2010 at 15:37
Intmt - we agree about something Oh, sorry..... I know you don't like people talking to you who aren't your friends

Actually CK - wear an Ipod - it'll take your mind off the pain (private joke!)
03/09/2010 at 15:39

You may make it through the 10k.

You may even get to the end of the marathon - slowly.

But if the marathon goes badly - there's a good chance it will - you won't be doing the half.

So yes, you're insane.

Cancel the races, get a training program and enter a spring marathon instead.

03/09/2010 at 15:49
Hi Jonny! At the very least I'm doing the Sheffield 10km and the Great North Run. Those two together with the two week gap shouldn't be too difficult to complete. The question is regarding the Robin Hood. Gut is saying no but brain says it would be a great achievement to complete all three.

In addition, I love a challenge.

04/09/2010 at 08:38

Sorry CK but all common sense screams not to do it without more training. You really, really, really run the risk of an injury - especially with the marathon in the middle - and this may mess up running for the future becuase you will try and run the HM at the end regardless of any problems you will have probably picked up by then.

I have no doubt of your determination but I wouldn't recommend it

If you are looking for the sense of achievement then pick some races far enough in the future that will give you an opportunity to train for them. To do a 10km, then a HM then a full mara on consecutive weekends is perfectly feasible and sounds like a good challenge to yourself  - but with training

RWMS

04/09/2010 at 09:07

Q. Is this insane?
A. Yes, 100%

Good luck!!

04/09/2010 at 09:43

Your "plan" (and I use that reasonably loosely) reminds me of a friend that ran a marathon without training. He was broken and hobbling for the six months following.

You'll do as you please, obviously, but if it was me, I'd jog the 10k, volunteer as a marshal for the marathon, and walk/jog the half.

Rennur

04/09/2010 at 10:14
Rennur - cracking idea on the marshal bit
cougie    pirate
04/09/2010 at 10:21

Oww.

I'm sure you can probably limp round the marathon and crawl through the half, but then you probably wont be able to run for a month or so after. Its silly, and not sensible long term, but hey - its your body. 

Look forward to the race reports anyway ! 

04/09/2010 at 15:34

Do you really have a place in the GNR? If you do, you've known you have to do it for a good few months, which beggars the question, why have you not trained? I'm doing it, it's my first half and I've been training like a mad thing for 12 weeks. I was out for three months with an injury and getting back into running was hard. So, even without the 10k and the marathon, the GNR will probably leave you broken, weeping and winding up folk who've been training for it for months as you keel over.

Or you're a troll?

1 to 20 of 68 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.