Is this your 1st Marathon, no matter which one

anyone doing their first marathon other than the VLM?

21 to 40 of 237 messages
08/03/2013 at 18:35

Hi All,

Paul Clarke 46 brilliant result.  Good news about the recovery time as well.

Hi Andi McGill 2 Age has been proven time after time that its all in the mind. Great going gents, your putting myself a target to aim for.

I didn't get out for my 14 miler today, didn't get a good nights sleep. I will try again in the morning.

Have a pleasent evenning people.

10/03/2013 at 10:26

Hi All,

Andi good luck with the mararthon in September, Iv'e just signed up to do the Chester Half Marathon in May, I'm hoping to do it in under 2 hours. I was out this morning doing my 7 miles route and shaved 2 mins off so happy with that, just working on my pace now.

10/03/2013 at 15:27

Sinbad, am under the impression longer distances (tend) to be easier as you get older and naturally lose pace? (there are of course lots of fast older runners).

Txs Paul and good luck with the May HM - I almost did the Chester Walls Run at Christmas as I was nearby but good cheeer & food got in the way of that

Have the dreaded flu at the moment so no running for a couple of days

10/03/2013 at 15:27

Hi all, I'm doing my first marathon in Manchester on 28 April.  Have just done 18 miles this morning (the furthest I've ever run) and am feeling good but aching legs of course!.  Seems to all be going to plan, I've 2 x 20 milers to do before tapering for 3 weeks before.  There's just so much info, and alot conflicting, it's hard to decide what to do.  Pacing is bothering me a little.  I did 3 x halfs last year and my best time was 1:46.  I was kind of hoping for around 4 hours at Manchester but how do you know you can actually run for 26 miles at 9 minute miles?  My run this morning was average 10:44 with the last mile 9:48.  Worried about going off too fast and not being able to keep up with it.  Exciting though, but scarey don't you think?

10/03/2013 at 15:34
Sallymax wrote (see)

Hi all, I'm doing my first marathon in Manchester on 28 April.  Have just done 18 miles this morning (the furthest I've ever run) and am feeling good but aching legs of course!.  Seems to all be going to plan, I've 2 x 20 milers to do before tapering for 3 weeks before.  There's just so much info, and alot conflicting, it's hard to decide what to do.  Pacing is bothering me a little.  I did 3 x halfs last year and my best time was 1:46.  I was kind of hoping for around 4 hours at Manchester but how do you know you can actually run for 26 miles at 9 minute miles?  My run this morning was average 10:44 with the last mile 9:48.  Worried about going off too fast and not being able to keep up with it.  Exciting though, but scarey don't you think?

Nice work! The advice I've read which makes most sense to me is to start slow: if you're dying you can stay slow and finishl if you've still got a lot of energy then start upping the pace a fair way through (maybe 1/2 - 2/3 of the way). 1:46 is a cracking half time, by the way

I managed a 16 miler today (longest run of my life so far!). Last two or three were a fair struggle. The thought of doing 10 more in 7 weeks is very scary, but it is 'to plan'!

10/03/2013 at 15:50

Hi A|ll,

Paul Clarke 46 good going, one run at a time.

Andi McGill glad you enjoyed the food and beer, there's always next year. I will bear in mind your post about distance.

Very scary Sallymax I'm doing the Manchester Marathon to. Your doing a lot better than me, it took me 5 hurs to do just 15 miles. Yet as one person has said in here, try not to worry about time, its about finishing the Marathon and having achieve something that not many people wll do in our lifetime. Good running though, I'm impressed.

Russelley, I agree, I think Sallymax has worked hard and shows in their time. I agree with you, I hope, I my body, mind and big occassion will let me start slow. But my times are averaging 15 minutes to 20 minuetes, I just want to get round this first one. Great run with getting the 16 mile in, thats an achievement in itsself.

Enjoy mothes day everyone.

10/03/2013 at 16:09

Hi All, 

I am doing my first marathon in October, a long way off I know but im also starting to do preconditioning training now and just get time on my feet and build on the fitness base I built after doing 2 halves last october. 

Did 6 miles last weekend and going out again today for another run, there, now its been said in public I cant get out of it.

I am like a lot of you and just want to finish but the secret competitor in me wants to get a reasonable time. 

Good luck to everyone

10/03/2013 at 16:32
sinbad113 wrote (see)

Hi A|ll,

Paul Clarke 46 good going, one run at a time.

Andi McGill glad you enjoyed the food and beer, there's always next year. I will bear in mind your post about distance.

Very scary Sallymax I'm doing the Manchester Marathon to. Your doing a lot better than me, it took me 5 hurs to do just 15 miles. Yet as one person has said in here, try not to worry about time, its about finishing the Marathon and having achieve something that not many people wll do in our lifetime. Good running though, I'm impressed.

Russelley, I agree, I think Sallymax has worked hard and shows in their time. I agree with you, I hope, I my body, mind and big occassion will let me start slow. But my times are averaging 15 minutes to 20 minuetes, I just want to get round this first one. Great run with getting the 16 mile in, thats an achievement in itsself.

Enjoy mothes day everyone.

Slow and steady definitely wins the race. DId you manage your long run?

Ksizzlepod wrote (see)

Hi All, 

I am doing my first marathon in October, a long way off I know but im also starting to do preconditioning training now and just get time on my feet and build on the fitness base I built after doing 2 halves last october. 

Did 6 miles last weekend and going out again today for another run, there, now its been said in public I cant get out of it.

I am like a lot of you and just want to finish but the secret competitor in me wants to get a reasonable time. 

Good luck to everyone

Good to start early! I'm trying really hard to just focus on finishing and not on a time, but with a few mates who did London last year I'd love to beat at least one of them. But I'm trying to run my race and care only about finishing...

I've only told a few people, mostly because I told a lot of people I was running Edinburgh last year, and knee problems meant I couldn't (didn't get anywhere near this far in the training though). I'll probably come clean to the world after my last LSR.

10/03/2013 at 17:50

Hi all,

Congratulations to everyone who completed their longs runs today. I was pleased to see that there are several people here who are running marathons on April 28. Me too! I've just posted a report of today's run over in my diary thread, and I'm currently nursing my stiff legs with a nice hot cup of tea.

I noticed this comment from Ksizzlepod:

Ksizzlepod wrote (see)

I completely empathise with this, but I'm slowly discovering that sometimes the mind is more willing than the flesh. Slow and steady - say it like a mantra - slow and steady and we all be fine .

10/03/2013 at 22:54
I was planning to do Dublin as my first marathon last year and was pretty well trained (24mile run two weeks before) and then I injured my ankle.....

Still waiting to do my first (and last) but not sure which to do. I was half thinking of Manchester as its my place of birth (think there's a blue plaque there somewhere!) but as I don't live in the UK anymore I may just find a more local one here in Ireland
11/03/2013 at 18:14

Good evening everyone,

It's good to see so many people out there pounding the pavements and running marathons. I'm getting in some half marathons then I'm hoping to run the Chester full marathon in Oct, just hope all the training goes to plan.

12/03/2013 at 08:39

Hi All,

Sorry for not posting yetserday, I went out for a few beers, it was just too cold and still is today for a run.

Ksizzelpool. Thats a fair comment, abut wanting to get a good time in on yoour first marathon, I agree its very hard to just want to think about the finishing line on its own. And welcome to the thread. Keep us informed on how the training is goiing.

Russellely, good ideain managing not to telling a few people, it will be a shock to  them,  when you finally and hopefully beat ones friend time.

I managed to get 15 miles in Saturday, very slow time though in 5 hours. It was more mental than physical strain though, it was raaining and dammed cold like it is today, been a long time since I felt that cold.

How is  everyone in trying to keep going in this cold weather?

Perezoso. I will try and get thosee words in my brain slow and steady lol.

Redjeep. Hope you enjoy living in Ireland,and nothing wrong with wanting to do a marathon close to where you live now, or in birthplace. I was born in Manchester (Burnage), I'm doing the Manchester Marathon, and I hope the ankle doesn't give way on your training schedule.

Paul Clarke 46 I'm sure you will stick to your training. Chester, sounds like a nice place to do a Marathon.

I'm glad to see so many people using this thread, hope your all okay with this cold weather?

12/03/2013 at 10:14

There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

Sir Ranulph Fiennes

True. True.

Edited: 12/03/2013 at 10:16
12/03/2013 at 10:45

Hi All,

Fair comment Perezoso. Just my own opinion on weather. But yes having the right clothing does help somewhat. I think this one is down to indviduals own opinions on when and when not to train.

I hope I have not offended?

12/03/2013 at 10:49

Of course not. I was making fun.

12/03/2013 at 13:52

Hi All,

I have such a lot to learn aboout iinternet humour lol

12/03/2013 at 18:01

I must admit i have a fair amount of running and cycling clothes,I get out in all weathers and you soon get warm when its cold, i do anyway lol .

12/03/2013 at 18:38

Hi All,

None of the gear fits me yet lol, even the extra large sizes seem to be a bit tight on me.

PAul Clarke 46 do you wear head gear? whats the thought on head gear for running?

I will be buying something for my head at some point.

12/03/2013 at 19:04
I did 5 miles in snow this morning - it caused no problem, but had a few near disasters with ice patches! Should probably treadmill on days like that, but I really hate it. Good job on getting your 15 miles in sinbad, it's definitely a mental battle at times.

After a _terrible_ hangover on Saturday, I'm off beer until marathon day. Hopefully will help training
12/03/2013 at 19:39

Hi All,

Russellely, its why I don't like running in icy conditions, I don't mind cold, even rain, or some extent wind. But ice can ruin all yur hard work.

I'm trying to do what you are  and stay off the beer till the marathon, its hard work changing lifestyles.

Cheers about my distance.

I will try and do the same, and try stay off the beer till race day.

21 to 40 of 237 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.