Is this your 1st Marathon, no matter which one

anyone doing their first marathon other than the VLM?

81 to 100 of 237 messages
21/03/2013 at 09:18

Hi Again,

I miss my Garmin. the I feel underdressed when I go out with out it.

21/03/2013 at 09:59

Lol at monsters Steve 

Sinbad, York is 20th October, the site says they just have Charity places left but a friend of mine who has registered said there were some extra spaces for their 'friends'. LN should be a good run as long as I don't do the downhill start too quickly

As for your Garmin I know how you must feel and wish I could just go out and run without my Garmin but like you it's part of my 'kit'.

21/03/2013 at 11:19

Hi All

I have done a few half marathons, my last one being Liverpool this weekend, did 2:09 which was 18 minutes off my PB, so VERY happy with that. I am doing Chester marathon in October, my first marathon, I noticed one person on here doing that one, wondered if anybody was doing it. 

I am absolutely petrified at the thought of running 26 miles. I am just hoping that as the time goes on, and I up the miles when I start training for it, that it wont feel quite so daunting, at the moment cant ever imagine being able to run that far.

21/03/2013 at 14:29

Hi All,

You will be fine,just try uping the miles slowly Beverly.

I'm thinking about doing an October marathon myself,as I have pulled out of the Manchester marathon. |Algthough I got up to 15 miles, it was astruggle. So I'm followingHalHidgon 30 week prgeam.

I for one feel the same as you, I just want to do a couple of halfmarathons liike yourself before committing to a marathon.

Hope everyone is okay?

21/03/2013 at 17:36

I have got a few more planned before the marathon in October.  Doing one in the Netherlands next month, Chester in May and North Wales in August.  At least that will make me keep my miles up, so when it comes to start marathon training I should have a decent mileage base to start with.

I have read a few of Hal Higdons plans, they look quite good. I go to a running club and our coach did a plan for me for the half, and is going to do a marathon one for me, starting in June.  We shall see how it goes.  Good luck with the training.

21/03/2013 at 17:50

HiAll,

You to

You seem to have it all in hand Beverly Goodson, good for you.

22/03/2013 at 09:12
An 18 minute PB... Nice

My leg doesn't seem to be improving much, despite 3 physio appointments this week (with massage, ultrasound and what seemed like a current running through my leg). I feel like my odds of running are slipping away, but haven't written it off yet. If I could do one more week of rest, then get maybe a 14 and 18 miler under my belt I'd feel a lot better. We'll see...
22/03/2013 at 10:18

HI All,

Russellelly, try not to lose heart, I'm sure things will improve, one day at a time

I willbe honest here, and I hope it helps a little? I'm a binge drinker,I can drink all day everday for upto 3 months, before I start pulling myself out of it (I have PTS caused by childhood  trauma, not military). I started running again, ass it was running and sailing that kept me going (I switched off while training). I have started getting help, and I have good days aand bad, but runnng reaally helps.

So keep chipping away at it, I'm sure you will get there.

I took on too much with the Manchester Marathon, but I'm not giving up. I as ne friend elsehwere said work on the 5k (PR) and 10k, and naturally get upto marathon distance, with a few HM, quality not quantity she told me, thats what I will try.

I justg hope you keep trying, even if its one mile at a time, never give up, maintain what you have now,  then if neceray even walk that one mile.

Hope everyone is okay?

22/03/2013 at 11:48
I've got the Chester half in May and I'm hoping to run the Chester in Oct but my training will suffer for 2 weeks as I will be in Tunisia in Sept so not sure what to do yet.
22/03/2013 at 12:27

Hi All,

Paul Clarke 46, just enjoy the holiday, do as much or as little as want whilst in Tunisia.

Chester seems to be popular? I'm just going to try just one training day at a time. See how I feel at the start of Autum.

Hope all are okay?

22/03/2013 at 12:54

Good on you, sinbad, for trying to turn your life around. Very good luck with it, mate!

22/03/2013 at 13:16
You keep on going Sinbad, good luck with everything.
22/03/2013 at 18:58

Hi All,

Thanks for that Perezoso and Paul Clarke 46.

All you can do is one day at a time.

I been saving up for my outboard engine (£1115), thats helped keep me in lol. All being well I should be buying it on Wednesday or Thursday.

How's the weather where people live? Blizzard conditions here.

OMG BBC TV moving home, thats one hell of a move.

22/03/2013 at 19:21
Blizzard conditions here, no run this weekend by looks of things.
22/03/2013 at 22:07

Spring is arriving here - I'm a lot further south than most of you. Having said that, me and the missus are popping back to Blighty for a few days next week, so perhaps we'll see a bit of the snow.

22/03/2013 at 22:54

sinbad, hopefully running will help you take your mind off 'stuff' and keep your chin up

Only been out twice in the past fortnight, this flu virus has really taken it's tole but hopefully I'll be back to base training soon.

In addition to base training in 'normal' shoes I'm also going to be running in my new Vibram FF Bikilas and Huaraches but doing it properly and building up from shorter distances. It's still a bit cold out for the Huarches so using those as slippers for now

23/03/2013 at 11:50
I'm going to do the Mablethorpe marathon on the 6th of October which seems a long way away yet but I'm sure it will be upon me soon enough!

I used to go caravaning every year to Mablethorpe so I know that the terrain is very flat. Hopefully I should be able to run a good time, even if it is my first marathon.

The hard work starts now.
23/03/2013 at 11:54
Good luck 19scott90
24/03/2013 at 10:16

Hi All,

Andi McGill thats part of what I'm hoping for. Building up slowly and nautrally for the half marathon and full marathon.

Perezozo, lucky you with spring beginning where you are. Stay there for time being you may get snowed in here

19scot90 welcome to the thread. Sounds like a plan to me.

Andi Mcgill, yes its yes the weather is atroucious. We have had a good 40 inches here, and is now slowly turning to ice, you just dare not try to train, only reluctantly going to shop with great care. I don't know how other people feel, but I feel that I'm losing all the hhard work, I have put in so far, not being able to get out there with this weather.

I'm buying my engine (if no hicups) on Wednesday, but won't be able to pick it up, depending on weather. This time last year, I was camping on her.

25/03/2013 at 23:15
Hi,

I'm new on the forums....I read them a lot but never posted until now. This seemed like the perfect thread for me to get some advice on, so here I am..!!

I'm doing my first marathon, I've not even done a 5k before, and it's Brighton on 14th April. I have been following a 16 week plan. While I've always enjoyed running, mainly to keep in shape, I only ever ran 20-30k a week (a lot of which is done on my treadmill indoors).

Since doing a lot more road running I have found it hard on my ankles and knees so have had to use ice and ibuprofen to help as it would seem I have tendonitis in my right ankle in particular which is having a knock on effect on my knee. I have rested a little last week but had my 20-22 mile this weekend and was dreading it as I'd only done 15 previously. As most know, weather was 'pants' and I really didn't want to take the risk of going out & injuring myself so I ran 20 miles on my treadmill....!!! Conditions were awfully hot as the heating was on full blast to keep the kids & other half warm but I'm not sure 20 on the treadmill will get me through...? My next long run is 15 with an 8 the Sunday before the race, anyone have any comments that might help...? The one positive thing I can take from it is that the impact on my ankles was less and I'm not in too much pain...!!!
81 to 100 of 237 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.