isolation

do we get lonely

21 to 38 of 38 messages
13/10/2012 at 16:49

Hi all,

HalfRunnerHalfBiscuit, what your saying is coming out from most people who run, its that quality time out for just you and noone else.

Its just for some beginners or returners to running, like me on how to be adaptable yet disciplined to get out there and do it. in other words being that couch poatoe out of our system.

13/10/2012 at 16:57

Hi all,

Daughterofdawn, I wish I could have a treadmill, but I'm in an upstairs flat with just a wooden floor, worried it would go through floor and onto my neighbour (an Inspector Cluso moment) .hhhmmm I understand about confidence and running with people, or even own own, I've gotten used to the latter one (i'm overweight), yet were all wanting to run with each other, its just fitting into being with other group members that gets me. But I will keep trying, any advice?

I like the fact that running allows your confidence to return to some degree.

feel free to post as much or as little as you want here.

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 16:58
13/10/2012 at 17:09
sinbad113 wrote (see)

Hi All,

dogsolitue_uk an interesting way of looking at running, I have never thought of it like that before. I like espcially knowing what we do mentally and pysically to recharge or let go our batteries in our spare time.

I watch way to much tv, yet my runs are getting me fit. Tv wastes time yet if only i could get into habit of the radio i could at least do more in the home.

For eg i will go out for my run, type up fourums, afterwards, the neighbours cat comes outside to sy hello, and do my housework. But then mistake of watching tv. When i want to learn German so I can surprise my brother who lives there now.

Cna self discipline and being adaptable to a routine reall work together, if so how?

TBH I'd just ditch the TV. I stopped watching it years ago! If there's something I want to watch I use iPlayer or pick up a DVD box set (currently watching my way through Breaking Bad and The Ascent of Man), that way TV fits into *my* schedule, not the other way round I think with a lot of us we spend a lot of time 'running on autopilot' rather than really thinking about what we're doing and ensuring we do the important stuff, like running or mowing the lawn or reading that book we meant to read or doing a jigsaw with our kids.

Or you could combine watching TV with, say, learning German:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/german/talk/introductions/

Also, I think there's a bit of a mental block: sometimes a part of us thinks that going for a run will take up the whole evening.  Well, it takes me five minutes to get changed from work clothes into my running stuff, half an hour for a Couch to 5k podcast run, and a few minutes for slobbing about with my banana and chocolate milk when I get back, so I'm usually done with running for the evening by half six.

Blimey, when I think about it I'm only actually running for an hour and a half each week (I run for 30 mins on Mondays, Weds and Fridays), and there are 168 hours in the week! That's about 1% of my time...

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 17:11
13/10/2012 at 17:29
Pretty much what others have said. I agree about the introvert / extrovert thing too. I've a friend who cannot be in her own company.. Needs others, or to be busy. Has a toddler yet still says she's 'bored' !

I like my own company and my dogs. I'd go as far as to say I prefer being with them to most people, even my OH sometimes. I like the personality of dogs compared to people - they are consistent and have no hidden agendas. They are black or white in their behaviour.

I run with my dogs or alone. I like remote isolated rural places to run. Favourite is running through wooded areas. If I see another runner it's tainted my run. Seeing no one is perfect, seeing wildlife is a bonus. Experiencing the changing seasons, seeing crops and trees changing.. Realising how insignificant we are in our environment, the freedom of just being out there running. Something primitive about it.

I don't think I'd feel the same plodding through the streets.. Environment is a big deal to me.
13/10/2012 at 17:57

Hi All,

Wow dogsolitude_uk I never though of it like that. My big tv is on way out, I might just not buy another and try your way for a whille. I never thought of breaking things down into what we do with our hours of the day, let alone for running.

I have saved the link you posted, and i will take a look at it. But i ahve one that teaches you 7 words a day for 7 weeks, its that tv again lol. It will just have to be the smaller one for dvd etc, and like you said, use the iplayer and others.

Its time for me to catch up with new technology to free up my time. Thanks for that one.

13/10/2012 at 18:04
sinbad113 wrote (see)

Hi All,

Wow dogsolitude_uk I never though of it like that. My big tv is on way out, I might just not buy another and try your way for a whille. I never thought of breaking things down into what we do with our hours of the day, let alone for running.

I have saved the link you posted, and i will take a look at it. But i ahve one that teaches you 7 words a day for 7 weeks, its that tv again lol. It will just have to be the smaller one for dvd etc, and like you said, use the iplayer and others.

Its time for me to catch up with new technology to free up my time. Thanks for that one.

Awesome What happened with me was that my set-top-box died a couple of years back, and had to wait until the following weekend to replace it due to work commitments. For a week I had no TV in the evenings, just my laptop, books, CDs, some computer games etc.

During that period I read a couple of books, learned some chess openings, watched iPlayer, cooked some really awesome fresh food and listened to Radio 3.

I never bothered replacing the set top box! I was free!

13/10/2012 at 18:06

Hi All,

Feral it is becoming apparent that we do like our own space when we run, whether its in a city or in woods. The isolation to some degree somes to motivate most of to run longer and strive to be faster to.

The passion youu show for annimals is fantastic and the environment, its a shame that we seem to be losing the battle regarding with the environment. I hope its not too often you bump into another runner? I like the way you sometimes take your dogs out running with you. I toally understand why you find them better company, than people, and other half.

Hope your runs this weekend have gone well, if you been on any so far?

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 18:07
13/10/2012 at 18:15
I felt more isolated when I ran with earbuds in and music as you are blocking the world out. I accidentally forgot to charge my iPod on a long 15 miler LSR in training one day and it ran out at about 5 miles.. I didn't notice until the last mile or so that it was no longer playing and I felt like the time had just flown by with me thinking of random things.
Since then no more music (and id just bought some expensive earbuds aarrgh) on runs and I get so much more out of it, listening to what's going on around me, wildlife, putting the world to rights and dreaming what I'd do if I were president of the universe...
Edited: 13/10/2012 at 18:15
13/10/2012 at 18:39

Hi all,

Daeve is it like being in a bar where most people like to put world to rights. but interesting way of getting through your runs.

Music was suggested to me, but I think I wouldn't be able to concentrate.

Glad your enjoying running without music.

I thought about just adding a fresh post, but hope its okay to add it the bottom of this post Deave.

If we like running alone, and to some extent like the isolation brings. Then why do we come here to post our ideas thoughts opinions etc? I must admit I'm enjoying all your posts and responding to them,  plus going into 3 may be 4 threads

Perhaps, we can come and go as we wish, as some of us do when go for a run.

I accidenttally pressed the quote key. So really there isn't a quote sorry 

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 18:41
13/10/2012 at 19:13

@sinbad113: "If we like running alone, and to some extent like the isolation brings. Then why do we come here to post our ideas thoughts opinions etc?"

I like chocolate, but can't say I'd care to eat it 24-7! I also like alone time, but don't have a need to be completely isolated 24-7. Sometimes one needs to ask questions or discuss an issue, or generally have a chat.

Also, with forums and emails etc. you can reply in your own time, but when you're with other people it requires a bit more organisation to get together, and attention whilst your there, so it's a bit different.

13/10/2012 at 20:24

Hi all,

Thanks for that, it was just athought.

13/10/2012 at 20:36
dogsolitude_uk wrote (see)
TBH I'd just ditch the TV. I stopped watching it years ago! If there's something I want to watch I use iPlayer or pick up a DVD box set ...

I second this. I haven't owned a TV for six years. It is truly liberating.

14/10/2012 at 09:58

Hi all,

I hear you loud and clear. There is now a battle taking place, on what I should do with it now, as its  on the natural way out now. Do I or don't I get rid now? That is the question

Did it take a while to get used to not having it, and watch dvd or iplayer etc?

14/10/2012 at 11:15

I have only just started running and for me it is a kind of personal discipline. I am hoping that the discipline will spill over into other areas of may life.  The running requires hard work and effort but it is always satisfying at the end of the run.

I would not like to run with others for the moment at least, this allows me to run at may own pace without distraction or peer pressure.

I run with music, although not loud, I concentrate a lot on myself, which part of my foot is hitting the ground, the contact with the ground, listening to my breathing, etc.  I presume that this will change with time though.

I work away from home so I am used to being on my own, running on my own is fine, I definately don't feel isolated.  In a funny kind of way I feel more connected with nature when I run. 

As with many of the others I have not had a TV for more than 10 years. 

14/10/2012 at 14:01

Hi all,

I understand where your coming from L'Ecossais, about the television thing. I'm trying a day without it, but I have the radio on, is that aloud  ?

I also feel that peer pressure can really st someone back if they start too soon with a group. I would like to join a group run in time,, but mentally physically know I'm not there yet.

Your thoughts about hearing each step, that I'm trying to develop, not an easy skill to learn? Your music thats also something  coming from runners, and that the isolation with running is okay, that it helps some to recharge their batteries.

But I do totally agree with you about reconnecting with nature though.

14/10/2012 at 15:51

Hi all,

Giving up the tv is going to prove hard. Only lasted day. But I will add its something I will keep working on. I got a lot more done, with just listenning to the rddio.

Its strange though when I camp on my 20ft boat, I don't have any tv or radio, and I don't miss it at  all.

I'm wondering if others like me will give it a try?

14/10/2012 at 16:51

Hi,

I'm quite young and never usually have the time for tv, I'll usually only watch an hour a week maybe. I'm doing GCSE's so I have revision and homework. And In my spare time 70% of it goes to running. The other 30% goes to friends. And when I am running  I have earphones in, I still clear my thoughts with music when running, I try to pick songs which relate to things I'm going through. 

15/10/2012 at 20:56

hI ALL,

Graigerrs, that makes perfect sense, picking music to go with your running, a few posts have said something similar.

Its clear you love running, i'm impressed, I'm struggling to adapt and  change a lifesttyle from the pub, back to the roads.

Friends are important to us all, I'm pretty sure your friends have got used to your running routine.

Good luck with your GCSE's keep me informed on how

your doing with them. I'm only on Level one  maths and english, so keep at it, I'm sure your determination will help you get where you want to be.

I must admit, I don't do the music thing yet, I'm just trying to put one foot in front of another

Take care.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 38 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.