I've Just done the Nike 10k

9 messages
24/09/2002 at 14:10
I'm really a road cyclist but I was challenged to do the Nike 10k, I really enjoyed it and I completed it in a time 41.53, everyone is now telling me I've done a good time, and I'm quite keen to do a few more. (although my quads & calves are killing me at present).

But I would like some comments from people who really know how good my time actually is. (ie does it put in the top 20% of the finishers, how would i compare against club runners etc)
24/09/2002 at 16:04
Not sure about %ages and where you would fit in in a club race, but most people would be delighted to at least be in with a shout of breaking 40 minutes for 10k early in their running career. You obviously have a very good fitness level, and with more running specific training, I'm sure you could take a bit more off your time.

24/09/2002 at 16:07
It is a time to envy really. I surprised you managed to cut through the crowds to make this time. Top performance. Look at it this way, I think the winning time was 28mins.
24/09/2002 at 16:07
Sorry, forgot to add that the winner of the last (and only) 10k I ran did it in just a shade over 34 minutes. Quite a lot of clubs have websites where they post race results, so you may be able to find some more info that way.
24/09/2002 at 17:13
Thanks for the info,

The reality was that I was fortunate enough to get a clearish run from the start and was just got dragged along with crowd.

However after about 6 or 7k's I was really suffering, (my leg's wouldn't respond, and weirdly my shoulder and elbow really started aching (is this normal!)), and it seemed everyone was overtaking me. So I just picked one of the people who had overtaken and tried to keep up with them, and when I couldn't lost sight of them I just picked someone else and tried again.

I imagine my second 5k was a fair bit slower than my first, but knowing that I was competitive makes me think perhaps I should do a few more 10k and perhaps with some specific training.

Once again thanks for your comments

Mark
cougie    pirate
24/09/2002 at 17:33
Mark - that is a v good time. I was/am a cyclist, and I think we enjoy the carry over of a good cardio system. It's just the legs we need to work on. That time would have beaten a fair few club runners, but I'm sure you can improve with practice.

As to the upper body pains - I feel as if my upper body has built up with running - you use the upper body much more so this will go away.

Can't help with the leg pain though - my legs still ache 2 days after running a 10k.

I'd like to know what the runners equivalent of going under the hour on a bike is. Anyone any idea ?
24/09/2002 at 17:42
Some light weight training will help combat the sore shoulders - its just all the jiggling around of unused muscles.

Leg pain is there to be enjoyed.............

Cougie - under the hour for what? Is it some kind of holy grail type time trial for 25/30 miles?
cougie    pirate
24/09/2002 at 17:56
Sorry Nessie - yeah it's like a benchmark for club cyclists to get under the hour for 25 miles (thus giving you an average speed of 25mph or more).

Mmm - I must be enjoying this lots then, I feel like my Thighs are made of concrete !
24/09/2002 at 19:03
Cougie,

I reckon the hour for a 10 miler

Gareth

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.