Just a little bit further 2012

The Cake Runners Athletics Club :-)

15,581 to 15,600 of 15,643 messages
29/12/2012 at 16:30

Ugh!  Just completed my pushups for the week - seven sets of twenty or so, followed by fifty - I've just picked myself up off the floor from being a quivering wreck but hey, you want the results you have to do the work, right?

Also, I've been reading that if you consciously hold your stomach in, all day if possible, then eventually it becomes a way of life.  Apparently, while it doesn't burn fat or provide definition, it improves your posture and realigns your organs so over time your stomach 'naturally' flattens out.  Who knows?  Either way it can't hurt to give it a shot for a while.

Bit of a rest and then pullups.   HIIT later on.   The good thing about all this is it feels like a proper workout but doesn't take that long to do.

Running tomorrow - might try 10k again - I'm going to see if I can do one of those a week to start with.   I'll tell you guys something though: once I've reached my goal, I'm knocking this HIIT malarkey on the head - unlike running, it's not fun, it's just pure bloody torture!  I'll keep running and strength training in order to maintain what I eventually have.

Edited: 29/12/2012 at 16:34
29/12/2012 at 16:37

Sounds tough going road runner but like you say you do have to put the work in. My friend always said that about holding your stomach in. She has always done it and does have a very flat stomach even though she is not always that skinny.

Mathschick, well done on your training today and bagging a few bargains.

29/12/2012 at 16:54
Eckytump. wrote (see)

Sounds tough going road runner but like you say you do have to put the work in. My friend always said that about holding your stomach in. She has always done it and does have a very flat stomach even though she is not always that skinny.

Mathschick, well done on your training today and bagging a few bargains.

Definitely worth giving it a shot then.   Having a flatter stomach is my primary goal and a flatter stomach makes your chest look bigger as well.

29/12/2012 at 17:06

wow, RR, massive well done on the push ups. I still can't even manage one but keep trying

29/12/2012 at 17:40

Thanks, MC!  Keep trying - eventually it'll come and then your strength will build as you do more and more.  Maybe try the 'knee pushups' for a while to build your strength? 

I'm done now - if sweat really is fat crying, then I've just murdered its first and only true love.

Edit: What does the hundred pushups site say if you can't get going, MC?  It has some advice about things to try if you can't do a single pullup: there's bound to be some info about pushups in there as well.

One of these days, I'm going to get up for an early morning run, just for the hell of it.

Edited: 29/12/2012 at 17:41
29/12/2012 at 17:46

I have been trying the knee pushups and can't really manage one of those either. I think my upper body is just very weak! When I go to the gym I use the assissted pull up machine for some pull ups

I'll go and have a look on the push up site and see what it says

29/12/2012 at 17:51

ok, it says to do wall push ups if you can't manage knee ones - I'll go and try!

29/12/2012 at 17:52

Hi all!

RR - Well done on doing all those push ups! About holding your stomach in - I've read somewhere that if you tie a piece of thread around your waist, you have to hold your stomach in all day because otherwise it hurts.  ?

Chili - well done on your park run.  You are indeed an angel!

MC -  Sounds like the right choice to me.  You must sleep when you can....

Ecky - well done on your 3 miler!

By'eck - Hiii!

Hi to everyone else!

Another excellent day at the pool.  3 races: 2 bronzes and a silver.  The golds are always hard to get because there are a few Turkish standard swimmers in Bursa which keeps the competition level really high. She is really happy though because she has set 3 new PBs.

No run for me as we've spent 10 hours at the pool in total today but I may get a chance tomorrow.

BFN folks! Have a good evening.

29/12/2012 at 17:56

Jude - that is fantastic, must have been a tiring day though!

29/12/2012 at 18:04
Jude Yazicilar wrote (see)

Hi all!

RR - Well done on doing all those push ups! About holding your stomach in - I've read somewhere that if you tie a piece of thread around your waist, you have to hold your stomach in all day because otherwise it hurts.  ?

Ha ha - sounds like an interesting concept!  Pain is certainly a good motivator to keep it pulled in if you can't do it using your own willpower.  I've been doing OK so far though - even did it all the way through HIIT!

MC - nice one: hopefully that'll build the necessary strength to get into knee pushups... and beyond!  What does your gym say about this?

Chilibean wrote (see)

Jude - hope Elif has had a good morning.

I am such a good girl and feeling very pleased with myself. Despite the high winds I cycled 30 mins to parkrun this morning, ran 5k parkrun, then cycled the 30 mins home!

Now all I want to do is sleep. Good thing we are going to a friends' house to watch Brave in her home cinema room.

Nice, Chili!

Edited: 29/12/2012 at 18:07
29/12/2012 at 18:07

Hi,

Jude-Well done on your youngsters swimming success- you must be a proud mummy

RR-Well done on all of your work. Its eems to be definetly paying off.

Another 7 miles this morning and managed to stay dry!!!

Definetly looking forward to all of the cholclates leaving the house-too tempting!!  

29/12/2012 at 18:08

I don't normally bother asking the 'instructors' at the gym anything - if there is anyone on duty in the gym they are generally 6th formers with a part time job - I probably know more about fitness and training than they do!

29/12/2012 at 18:18

mathschick wrote (see)

I don't normally bother asking the 'instructors' at the gym anything - if there is anyone on duty in the gym they are generally 6th formers with a part time job - I probably know more about fitness and training than they do!

Ah - no point asking then.

I'm seriously kicking around the idea of retraining for something to do with fitness; I think I'd enjoy being a fitness trainer.

Edited: 29/12/2012 at 18:19
29/12/2012 at 18:22

that's a good idea RR - you could probably train and start doing some trainiing while doing your normal job before taking the plunge of giving up your job altogether. The lady that does the spin classes at my gym also has a 9-5 job.

I can do wall pushups

29/12/2012 at 18:29

Good, good! 

This forum really needs a thumbs up smiley.

Edited: 29/12/2012 at 18:30
29/12/2012 at 18:31

I need to do wall ones too then as I struggle to do normal ones. I don't think my upper body is that strong either.

I am going to try sucking my stomach in although I am not sure I want a bigger chest . I would get black eyes.

Jude, you must have had a fantastic couple of days. Massive Well done again to Elif.

Hiya Boss.

29/12/2012 at 18:32

so now I can build up the wall ones until I can do knee ones...

yes, we could do with a thumbs up

29/12/2012 at 18:34

ecky - I don't want a bigger chest either, but do want a stronger upper body and core, I think pushups help with all of that

29/12/2012 at 18:39

Yep.  Pushups and pullups combined are a very good upper body workout.  Some people do too much chest work and no back work which is why they have a somewhat drooped over appearance. The clue is in the name: pushups take care of your pushing muscles and pullups take care of your pulling muscles (don't pull any muscles though ). 

Who knew?

Edited: 29/12/2012 at 18:40
29/12/2012 at 20:37
Can I have a bigger chest please ))))) *looks around for big chest sale* ......
I've got a lot of clothes to store away..... Ohhhhhhh THAT sort of chest
15,581 to 15,600 of 15,643 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.