Kiss of life required !!!!!

2 messages
10/09/2002 at 14:59
At age 64 I am running 40 kms a week, comprising 4 x 10 kms. On my rest days I usually cycle around 10 kms each day. Up until year 2000 I was runnning 7 minute miles as my normal pace for any distance that I ran,up to 15 miles, never having ran farther than that. Then I had a medical problem, ( prostate. ) and had to stop running for almost a year. I am now almost 2 years back into my favourite pastime, but cannot, without tremendous effort, get better than 9 minute miles,and then I have to stop and walk for a couple of hundred yards every 2 miles or so. I have used the walk / run routine and can manage some fairly good speeds for a hundered yards or so, and then slow jog again. My problem is shortage of breath, I just cannot seem to get sufficient air into my lungs to sustain the required effort to attain 7 minute / mile pace. Is this purely down to my age now, or is there some way in which I can improve my lung capacity ? Incidentally, I am also, at 85 kilos,about 10 kilos heavier than I was before my enforced lay-off. Is this the cause??
Any responses will be appreciated.
Roz
01/11/2002 at 08:56
I'm glad you are back running again. It looks like you have got into a rut with your pace. When you do your 10kms, do you inject a bit of pace or just plod round? I would suggest playing 'games' when you are out on one of your runs. For example aim to run to the corner shop at a smartish pace, then drop down to a slower jog to the train station then up the pace to the chippy...that sort of thing. Don't run flat out, just up the pace a little so that your body can learn to cope with it. Each week, do a little bit further with the pacey bits. Your weight wll be a factor but not a lot. Maybe you are a little uptight about your loss of fitness/speed? Try to relax, have fun and maybe run with someone a bit fitter than you on occasions. Let me know how you get on.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.