knees!

8 messages
01/11/2002 at 13:30
hi all
i've been running for around 3 months now and am up to 40 minute runs. WHile i am handling this ok, even after this time i still get knees 'giving out' on me every so often after about 10 minutes. do i need to strengthen my knees or could it be something else?
thanks for any help
nick
01/11/2002 at 13:34
I get this problem a lot, especially with one knee. I've been working out in the gym to strengthen my knees by focusing weight training excercies in this area.

I'm no expert, I just figure if my knees are stronger then they won't hurt so much when running and, for me, after the run (the next day).

Big G
01/11/2002 at 14:24
Big G - if it's pain, rather than just that turning-to-jelly feeling, get it checked out by a sports physio (or at least check the injury articles here and elsewhere on the web). On the plus side, I think both of you probably can't go far wrong with the strengthening - keep it up!
03/11/2002 at 05:24
My knees were always gave me trouble until I bought a good pair of cushioned running shoes. Now they're fine.
03/11/2002 at 07:18
I tried warming up my knees before a run at home just standing on one leg holding on to something, lifting and bending my other leg up and down to my bum about 20-30 X this helped so much as the fluid in the joint gets warm and the cartiliage thickens before you get out there so your knees are protected a bit more.Hope it helps.
03/11/2002 at 17:07
I second Beth about the shoes. Did you get them from a 'proper' running shop?
04/11/2002 at 11:11
yeah, the guy asked all the questions, they are well cusioned(i'm a big lad).
thanks for teh warming up advice
nick
JR
04/11/2002 at 11:26
Nick, when I started running a few months ago I use to get a lot of problems with my knee from an old sports injury. I found weight training that focused on my legs very useful, especially leg extensions and squats/ leg press. As you run more your body will also become more efficient.

Good shoes and warm ups are essential as well.

Good luck!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.