Lactic Acid

Aaarrrgh!!!

8 messages
15/01/2005 at 17:32
Help! Will there ever be a time when my calves don't feel as though red hot fish hooks are being dragged through them?

I'm on r5 w3 X3 at the minute and while my breathing is fine my calves kill.

Will this feeling go away?

Please please say yes somebody!
15/01/2005 at 17:54
What's r5 w3 X3?
15/01/2005 at 17:56
At a guess, it's run 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes 3 times.

dippy - if your calves are hurting, maybe you need to stretch a bit more (or stretch if you don't) after warming up.
15/01/2005 at 18:31
Dippy, it does get better! Honest!
15/01/2005 at 18:34
if your calves are hurting you are probably going too fast. slow down

and stretch and stretch and stretch, and not just attempts at stretches, proper stretches that you hold for at least 10 or 20 seconds

and warm up and warm down

and stretch and stretch

most important to stretch after a run when muscles are tighter.
15/01/2005 at 21:34
Thanks guys

Voods you're right it is run 5 walk3 3times and I will try to stretch a bit more.

Gingerloon I don't think it's possible to run any slower. I have a treadmill in the garage that I bought with a small windfall last year and didn't use enough. I'm getting back into it (for good this time) and run on it while it is too dark to go out.

I plod at 6.2kph (told you I was slow)but I can actually walk faster - I've taken the start slow advice to heart!! I thought it was mph but him indoors says not. I'm really depressed now!

The funny thing is it stops almost as soon as I get off with no ill effects the next day. Weird.
15/01/2005 at 21:45
are you saying it's only when you are running they hurt? you don't have any tightness or soreness afterwards?

I dont know in that case, might be worth posting on health and injury.
15/01/2005 at 21:48
Yeah, I don't think I'm injured and it certainly feels like lactic acid but when I stop I do a few stretches (more than before I start) and the ache goes away.

Maybe I need to do more before I start and stop being a wimp after the breathing is fine.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.