Left arm left leg!...

...right arm right leg

8 messages
04/06/2003 at 14:13
Am I weird?

When I run my left arm goes forward with my left leg, right arm right leg etc. I have noticed that everyone else I see does it the other way round - left arm right leg.

I would make sense to oppose my arms and legs cos then my body wouldn't have to twist so much and I would be doing less work - prob more efficient.

I tried doing it on the treadmill, but couldn't get it right at all and probably just looked like a big freak!

Does this matter at all?!!
3TL
04/06/2003 at 14:17
Ginger - do you walk like this?

It seems that you're right in that it's more balanced to have opposing leg/arm combo. Maybe try starting really slowly and building up from there.

04/06/2003 at 14:20
I had to have phsio to correct this as I developed back problems.

I was told this was more common amongst people who bottom-shuffled rather than crawled as a baby. Do you also have problems telling left from right?

04/06/2003 at 14:21
Maybe try not moving your arms, and to start with letting your rump and pelvis rotate in opposite directions. Once that works the arms will follow naturally.

A running book I have uses what you describe as an exercise to make you aware of how the 'normal' way feels - I tried it and it felt awkward, so I hope you're able to change it!
04/06/2003 at 14:23
3TL - just had to walk over to the printer to answer this.

I walk normally, (but run like a freak!) Maybe it is like surfers, maybe I am just a "goofy" runner.

3TL
04/06/2003 at 14:30
image of you walking to the printer as you're unsure has made me laugh and fall off the chair
04/06/2003 at 14:37
Oh, I had no idea this was an actual problem.

My hips were dislocated when I was born, so I had to wear a frame to correct it for the first 3 months of my life. (would have been in a wheelchair now if they hadn't spotted it). I spose this might have some relation.

I will have to ask my mum if I bottom-shuffled. Don't think I have problems telling right from left!
04/06/2003 at 14:47
Whoops sorry 3TL! I wanted to make sure I was giving correct information

:-)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.