Let's talk gym!

Got anything to talk about relating to working out, here's the place

1 to 20 of 92 messages
16/12/2011 at 16:44

I thought I'd open a new separate thread to discuss Gym, weights etc.  Since it's closely related to sprinting, endurance running as well as running form and technique (having a strong core, etc) I thought I'd post it right here in the beginners section.

So, whether you use freeweights or a machine, whether you exercise in a gym or at home, whether you exercise alone or with others,  let's talk, Gym!  Pete, Steve, Tom, Andrew and any other guys (and gals of course) are welcome as well.  OK, bad joke.  

So, as for me, I use a Total Trainer 2000 exercise machine.  I use it every other day for about an hour, and usually go running before or afterwards - and will again when my knee's better.   I'm not a muscle-bound machine - far from it (wish I was) - I be an Ectomorph.  Or skinny guy if you prefer.  My goal is to pack on a little muscle, broaden out a little, get lots more definition and lose the stomach.

Edited: 16/12/2011 at 16:49
16/12/2011 at 16:47

Gym?  Whose he?

16/12/2011 at 16:50

Hee hee hee...

Anyway, I've been looking into MaxiMuscle and protein shakes, that sort of thing.  Has anyone here used them, if so do they actually make any difference and what do they taste like?  Hope they're not euuughh....

And of course, how much do they cost and are there any lesser known brands that do exactly the same job for less money?

Edited: 16/12/2011 at 16:57
16/12/2011 at 17:32

This looks good:

Maxi-Milk

8 bottles - at three workouts a week, that'd last me almost three weeks.  Might give it a trial to see if I see any difference, can always stop buying it if I don't.

This might be worth a try as well:

Promax Crisp Bars

Edited: 16/12/2011 at 17:36
16/12/2011 at 17:45

Get yourself some of that Whey Protein from Holland & Barrett when it's on offer - just as good as the expensive stuff at a fraction of the price! 

I use chocolate flavour for when I'm just making up a drink and vanilla flavour in my porridge every morning.

16/12/2011 at 17:48

Thanks for the heads up!  Does it come in banana flavour?  That's my favourite milkshake flavour.   Have you tried something like Promax - does it do the same job?  Promax is about £25.99 at play.com (!) banana flavour - 908g.

I checked Holland and Barrett - it's more expensive than play.com right now, but as you said they often do great special offers.

Edited: 16/12/2011 at 17:50
16/12/2011 at 17:49

Not sure if it comes in banana flavour, I just go straight for choccy and/or vanilla.  Yum!

16/12/2011 at 17:52

Vanilla works well for me as well.  So, are you seeing a difference?  My main aim is to get more toned really.  I mean, I'm never going to have loads of muscle, so I'd rather go with definition rather than bulk, although as I said I am looking to pack on a little more.

It does come in banana at Holland Barrett's site by the way.

So what do you use, Blimpy?  Free weights or a machine?  I just find that using the machine makes it much easier to maintain correct form and of course it means you don't need various dumbells or things around the room.

Edited: 16/12/2011 at 18:05
16/12/2011 at 17:58

I'm like you - very lean and am trying to build a bit of muscle.  I AM  seeing results, but that's not just through having the odd portion of Whey!  I'm running a lot of miles every week and am in the gym 4 times weekly.  My diet is also obsessively clean at the moment. (See how I added 'At the moment'?!!) 

In the gym, do compound moves - Squats, Deadlifts, Pull-ups, etc.  Also lots of core work, but change it every day - don't just do crunches lol!

Don't go near the machines - I did that for 2 years with no results.  Now I've ditched the machines, I'm starting to see results in a very short time-span.

16/12/2011 at 18:04

Yep, I don't just do crunches.  I also do leg raises and today I added a crunch into that as well.  Ouch.

So, compound moves are better overall than isolation?  Chin-ups vs bicep curls for example?  I can't do 'proper' chin-ups, but since the machine has varying levels of resistance, putting it on the top level allows me to do 8-10.  

This is my machine, by the way:

http://www.treadmillscentral.com/images/1812.jpg

I'm going to be getting some weights for it (as shown in the picture) as the leg exercises have become too easy.  It must be doing some good because family members have said my shoulders look a little broader - family members who aren't free with their compliments.  

Chuck Norris uses Total Gym

I wonder if he really does use it, or if he only endorses it to make some money...

I had to post these:

Chuck Norris Facts
You've seen them online and heard them on TV... these Chuck Norris facts even crack up the man himself! Here are some classics, with a few new ones we here at Total Gym came up with:

1. When Chuck Norris does a push-up, he goes up and the world goes down.
  2. When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks under his bed for Chuck Norris.
  3. After a workout, Chuck Norris rubs his muscles down with liquid-hot MAGMA.
  4. When Chuck Norris exercises, the machine gets stronger.
  5. Chuck Norris does not lift weights, weights rise before Chuck Norris.
  6. There is no chin under Chuck Norris' beard. There is only another fist.
  7. The average person can do 80 exercises on the Total Gym. Chuck Norris can do 1,080.
  8. Chuck Norris can do the 6 to 8 Minute Workout in 6 to 8 SECONDS.
  9. A great Pilates exercise on the Total Gym is "Hug-A-Tree". Chuck Norris does not hug trees, he roundhouse kicks them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing I would say is that I don't buy this 6-8 minutes, or even 20 minutes a day - I don't think that would be effective at all.  I usually do around an hour, maybe a little more when doing legs as well, which I'm not at the moment - doc's orders.

Edited: 16/12/2011 at 18:18
ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
16/12/2011 at 22:17
Banana is Gaspari MyoFusion all the way! Normally around £40 for about a 5Lb tub and hands down it's the best banana flavour out there! Use that link I sent you earlier RR

TraInning time, 20 - 30 mins only works if u are lifting heavy, so you're talking 3 excercises maybe supersetted with a BW move but generally free weights and normally including one of the "big" moves I.e squats, deads and bench

Pull up bar, there is no substitute, every home should have one! I've been lifting for years but have only managed to do chins or pull ups this year and it really helps the core and definition and practice is key

I train at the gym three /four days a week for between 45-60mins at the moment but will move to a shorter routine when I start increasing the mileage in the new year

Happy training boys!
16/12/2011 at 23:34
Yep, many thanks for that - they're easily the cheapest I've found so far.
17/12/2011 at 09:27
Good idea for a thread Road runner

I do classes rather than sit on my own in the gym, better for time & motivation I find

So a body weight conditioning class, pump fx, circuit class all different days.

Reason I know it works...

After doing some gym work 3-4 years ago, routine set by personal trainer,, stopping once I got into good shape and choosing only to do running & cardio, okay for awhile then slowly finding running going worse, weight going up then stopping

Started doing these classes Nov 2010, and off 10-15 miles running a week low speeds was only 13 seconds off a PB at half marathon by March

So weighted lunges , squats, dead lifts, bent over & upright rows, dips.. lots of others... Works for me. circuits I find great .. increasing your ability to suffer was phrase a coach used... Too true !

PB has now been smashed out of sight, nearly 4 minutes.
Edited: 17/12/2011 at 09:30
ChallengeGoGoGas    pirate
17/12/2011 at 10:32
Just run to the gym, 6.5km and plan to run home afterwards - GHD's, 1 leg get ups, deadlifts, split squats and dips all on the cards this morning
17/12/2011 at 20:55

That's great going, Gastank - especially in this cruddy weather!  I just know my legs are going to absolutely kill me after the first run back: I did five minutes of rowing yesterday by way of warming down after my Total Trainer session and today, my legs are mildly sore.  That's after only five minutes.  I plan to do ten to fifteen minutes running next Tuesday. 

18/12/2011 at 10:25
GHD ?
18/12/2011 at 15:46
What's GHD, Gas?
18/12/2011 at 16:48
Every girlies knows that - good hair day!
18/12/2011 at 16:51
Or a brand of hair straighteners
18/12/2011 at 17:57

Personally, I just kitted my garage out with home equipment.

The gym is always closed when I finish my shifts, been getting lazy with the weight training. I'm not entirely sure how much I should be able to lift these days. Female, 19, around 110lbs?

Any ways, bought myself a cheeky wee spinning bike in the pre Christmas sale. Should be good now that I can't get running on the ice.

Can anyone recommend a decent treadmill on a near student budget?

1 to 20 of 92 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.