Like to read a new book about running

12 messages
03/07/2012 at 17:07
Hi, new to running from September last year I think I'm getting hooked. Running because I can, not quite at the because I need to race. Has anyone got any suggestions about books I could read but not the kind of how to run book more a personal account about how someone started and the highs and lows. Is there a runners equivalent to Josie Dew - cyclist that went round the world on her own recounting the adventure. Thanks for reading. Cazza.
03/07/2012 at 18:15

The ones I can personally recommend.

Once A Runnerby John L Parker

The Ghost Runner by Bill Jones

What I talk about when I talk about Running by Haruki Murakami

Kryten    pirate
03/07/2012 at 18:21

I've read a few and Born to Run by Chris McDougall is my favourite.

Edit: the equivalent to that Josie Drew book would be Juat a Little Run Around the World by Rosie Swale Pope, also good.

Edited: 03/07/2012 at 18:24
03/07/2012 at 20:04

thanks for the recommendations - on the case as it beats the tv!!!!

03/07/2012 at 20:36

I've recently read "Running with the Kenyan"s by Angharad Finn and “Keep on Running: The Highs and Lows of a Marathon Addict” by Phil Hewitt. Enjoyed both, but preferred the second as I could relate to alot of what he's been through....

03/07/2012 at 20:43

+1 for the Born to Run by Chris McDougall, it got me back into reading

03/07/2012 at 20:51

Thanks - I am tired of reading about Thomas and his friends, and Tracey Beaker!!!

03/07/2012 at 22:07

Mud, Sweat and Tears by Moire O'Sullivan.

Survival of the Fitest by Mike Stroud (but no just about running)

04/07/2012 at 09:27

I was going to suggest Thomas and his Friends!!!

My favourites are From last to first by Charlie Spedding, and Plimsolls on Eyeballs out the biography of Jim Peters.

04/07/2012 at 09:38

Thank you ! 

04/07/2012 at 11:15
thrifty wrote (see)
...not the kind of how to run book more a personal account ...

"Running Desperado" perhaps (but it's only on Kindle at the moment although you can get a free app for most devices that will let you read Kindle books). It is mostly diary style & is a personal account from an average persons perspective rather than a super human.

05/07/2012 at 11:01

Scott Jurek's book ("Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness") is out today - very excited, feels like I've been waiting for it to be released in the UK for ages!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.