London Marathon 2014

From 0 to 26 (and a bit) in 222 days.....can it be done?

81 to 100 of 462 messages
13/09/2013 at 14:27

Good Luck

13/09/2013 at 14:38

I have found weights to be very beneficial - especially core work. and when i lost the weight then I looked more muscular as the fat was hiding them (dont get me wrong I am no Arnie!!!!)

Go for it and Jog run it. What i found is that if you are getting out of breath don't stop and walk just run slower, get your breath back, then pick it up again. Its all a mental game really. It's only your brain telling you it hurts.

3.1 miles is 5k!!!!!!! so you have reached another goal when completed!

13/09/2013 at 14:43

Wenty, I could almost love you! I hadn't even thought about that = but I love the geeky stats and stuff so I love the idea of reaching a 5km, even if it's 50 minutes who cares! Jog walk it is......

Booktrunk - thanks! What do you ahve planned for the weekend??

13/09/2013 at 14:50

When I started every half a mile or so when i was running i slowed to a jog and took two or three really deep breaths, did me wonders, and then picked the pace up again.

The idea of weights is great but you don't get any definition looks wise until you have a reasonably low fat level, which is a lot easier for blokes as they naturally have a lower fat level.  If you look at what a ideal / lean male looks like in the percentage stats it's a lot lower.

13/09/2013 at 15:22

Thats very true book trunk - I'm down to about 10% fat (probably from about mid 20's) but the same for a woman would probably be 3/4 to almost twice that.

I think core work is always good though if you have some spare time for planks or cruches and you can do them at home while watching TV.

I agree with book trunk re the slowing to a jog and taking a few breaths.....

How many miles a week you doing now book trunk and are you doing the London marathon 2014?  (I presume so as you are here)

16/09/2013 at 09:12

So Cas - how did it go? are you a 5k runner yet?

16/09/2013 at 09:22

Hi Wenty - I'm a 4k runner! I misread my trainign schedule and it's next weekend I go up to 3 miles, but I felt motivated so pushed on to 2.5 miles on Friday and Sunday. Daft thing is I felt fine and could probably have gone to 3, but at the time I was happy enough with 2.5m. How was your weekend? Did you watch the great northern? I was envious watching it (in a happy to be snuggled up on the sofa in a warm house with a hot coffee way!)

16/09/2013 at 09:50

I did a 10k run on the sea front in a howling gale!! Was dissapointed with 41 minutes  until i saw everyone elses times which made me feel better

Missed the great north run due to the 10k but read about it and can't believe the great Gebrselassie was running - A legend! - world record for an over 40 year old 61 minutes!!! There is hope for me yet

4k is good going in a short time - I know what its like as i was there a couple of years ago so well done!

16/09/2013 at 09:58

Thanks Wenty - i did see you are hoping from a sub 3.5 on the London Marathon - so I am seriously impressed by how far you have come. I was telling my friend (who ran with me on Friday) about you and Booktrunk's weight loss and running history. It's incredibly motivating hearing from folks who have been where I am now, and understand that I am not being a whingy whiner when I say I want to give up cos my legs feel like they are running in treacle!

16/09/2013 at 10:28

certainly know where you are coming from!! - Still sometimes feel like running in treacle ! I'm hoping for a sub 3hr in London Marathon (Brighton was 03:13 this year which qualified me for London)

My first 10k 2 years ago was almost an hour, I almost fainted and  it wiped me out for about 3 days, now im down to a PB of 38 min.

Still not as impressive as booktrunks journey, (which is awesome I think) but I'm pleased with it. At your stage I thought 10k was an impossible task and that i would never acheive it......

16/09/2013 at 10:57

Im starting to at least believe it's possible now anyway - dont get me wrong, I am still run/walking but I have noticed my run sections are definitely longer and my walks less....so I am just plodding along. Next weekend I have a personal trainer coming to look at my stride and breathing (it's a donation someone made for me, a session with a running trainer!) so I am quite looking forward to that. Ha - I hope she realises I shuffle....!!

Sub 3 hours - you realise Wenty that you could run 2 marathons then in the time I am hoping to do 1

16/09/2013 at 11:05

I was hoping for a sub 5 hour in my first marathon (actually I was wondering if i could complete it). Its easier to run a marathon in 3 hours than 5 hours as it's less time on your feet!

Personal trainer!!!!! It does help to breathe  (I learnt that early on)!! Probably makes sense to learn it earlier rather than later.

I am sure you will surprise yourself! - how many days left?

16/09/2013 at 11:10

208 days, 22 hours and 50 minutes........

I have a secret goal of 5 hours 30 minutes but as you say would be happy to just get round before the street cleaning crew!

Personal trainer ONLY because some kind friend donated the session to me to keep me motivated!

16/09/2013 at 11:31

Not very secret anymore  If you are anything like me I dont think you will really know until near the end of the training, but i think its always good to have goals to work towards. I always need goals to keep me on the treadmill (so to speak)

good to have friends like that (you can't let them down now) - sound nicer than booktrunks friends betting when she would drop out! - Good for her proving them wrong!

16/09/2013 at 11:45

Well I suspect there are a few family and friends betting I will give up, but I am inspired by Booktrunk's efforts, I even joined Weightwatchers on line because she had lost weight that way!

16/09/2013 at 12:03

Good luck!!

i think I am on the WW site as booktrunk as well.

i'm hoping I get in via the ballot for VLM got ultra this week Then 3 weeks later it will be Leicester so i'll be running that for the 2nd time /) then three week running holiday to let all my niggles heal. Then start training for London and Milton Keynes next spring.

16/09/2013 at 12:09

Best of luck with the ballot for VLM - when do you find out?

an ultra !!!! that idea fills me with dread - might try a 30 miler one day

16/09/2013 at 12:22

30 miles???? Eeek. How far is an ultra? That's not the 24hr type run is it?

Booktrunk how many marathons do you run a year? I worked out I have run 20 miles now in total...so I will have run a whole marathon by the end of this week...!!

16/09/2013 at 12:36

I've only done 2 about six months apart last October , this may again plan to keep that up two a year about six months apart that way I always have a target to keep me running.

these says anything over a marathon is called an ultra I think? some say it has to be x distance most just don't care. 

the one I'm doing is 50m I'm terrified hehe I really want to finish, there is a 13 hour limit and I'm quietly hoping for around 11h but a finish in 12:59:59 will do fine

i've been running since 1st May 12. I've not put in anywhere near the miles I should for the ultra but have done the best I can, so that will have to do. I track all runs on my.asics.co.uk and have done around 1200 miles in total.

16/09/2013 at 13:02

I also thought anything over a marathon is an ultra! Hence why i might try a 30 miler one day (lowest i have seen) to say i have done one ! - but never a 50 miler - thats nuts!

No wonder you are terrified - thats almost 2 marathons!!!!!!!!  you are one crazy clown! best of luck though. I also try and do 2 marathons. 1 every 6 months to keep me at it.

81 to 100 of 462 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.