long slow run

3 messages
09/09/2012 at 09:40
hello all I run approximately 3x5km a week, and would like to increase my stamina. would I be better decreasing the length of my weekday runs and increasing a weekend run as a long slow run? is there any general rule on how long your long slow run should be in comparison to your other runs? thanks!
09/09/2012 at 10:15

If I recall, the recommndation is something like a long run thats no more than ~50% of the distance of your weekday runs. However, as you're only running 15km (9 miles) that would give you a long run the same as you're doing now! That rule only really applies when you start upping your milleage, don't decrease any of your runs, just add 1 mile to whichever run suits you best and take it from there. When your long run gets to 6-7 miles maybe you should think about doing more miles in the week, either per run, or preferably another run.

09/09/2012 at 10:20
Thank you, I will do!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.