Lost the motivation to start running

12 messages
14/11/2011 at 20:39

So after thinking a while about it, i dislike loneliness and yeah running, you do it on your own. What can make me motivated to start running? I am also a pretty shy person so when you start running on the street and ppl start staring at you, I know only a few do but i will be starting feeling awkward.

So somebody got idea to fix my awkwardness? 

14/11/2011 at 20:44
Head up high & think 'I' am running.

Maybe download the C25K podcast, she's talks to you, find a running gb buddy.
14/11/2011 at 20:50
yeh find a buddy lets start convincing one of my friends great idea.
cougie    pirate
14/11/2011 at 22:18
People look at you all the time. If you worry about that you'd never go out.
You have to want to run though. We can't do it for you.
14/11/2011 at 22:53
LOL sure you can't XD
and the looking problem well maybe I will get accustomed to it.
Worst part is that your school mates see you. Btw how should I plan my route? Any things I need to look at first?
14/11/2011 at 23:08

In the words of a famous brand name:

Just Do It!

15/11/2011 at 19:01
like yourself i sometimes find running on my own hard, so i just stick my ipod on, run to the music and i dont care wot people think!
16/11/2011 at 04:29

I agree Karrie, I don't really care who is looking at me when I run and I love to get the tunes blasting to keep me going. God knows what I sound like though, gasping for breath but I don't care because I can't hear myself! I have tunes on my android phone and use the Endomondo app to track my runs. I also have two kids so my running is a wee bit of "me" time and I make the most of it.

Lanshen, why don't you try going out running at night until you gain a bit more confidence in what you're doing? When I started running I have to admit I felt a little self concious and running at night helped.

16/11/2011 at 08:00
or run at 5am, not many people about then.
16/11/2011 at 08:18
I'm a bit confused. Is it the loneliness that you don't want, or people looking at you, or people that you know seeing you? Most people are supportive, and if they're not, then I wouldn't worry about what they think. If you want to run, you'll run. If you don't, you won't. It's that simple I'm afraid.
16/11/2011 at 16:45

i dont care wot people think about me when im running. i do it for me

my husband says when i run somtimes it reminds him of the clip from friends when phoebe runs through central park! to his amusement.

just have fun with it otherwise wots the point if you dont enjoy it!

16/11/2011 at 17:28

Same here.  They're clearly jealous - probably couldn't run one mile without having a hernia.

And yeah, running at night is fun - but watch yourself - there's an article on this very site with advice about night running.

Edited: 16/11/2011 at 17:29

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.