Marathon next year.. New to running..

4 messages
01/05/2012 at 20:38
Hi all, I have just started running on evenings after work.

I haven't really ran since high school or done much exercise except a bit of boxing and a kick about now and again down the local park.

However I am enjoying going on a few runs in the evening every other day and would really like to enter a marathon next year. I was just wondering if anyone has any inside tips to offer me.

The route I currently run is 2.4 miles and I complete this at a steady pace with a time of 25 mins. I consider that as not bad going since I haven't worked out in a ages.

Will I be able to achieve my goal and make a marathon next year if I stick to my current regime and increase distance every week?

Many thanks,

Mike
01/05/2012 at 20:50
Plenty of people do it off less preparation time. For now build up the mileage. Enter a shorter race to keep up motivation or try Parkrun, they're free!
01/05/2012 at 21:25
Build up to a 10k race, following a plan (from here or elsewhere). That will teach you about the different types of run and help build the abilities you'll need. After that, look towards a half marathon in the autumn and then to the full marathon next year.
01/05/2012 at 21:49
Hi Michael,

Just to let u know i only started running end of June last year and i couldnt even run 2 miles!!! I have built up gradually and comleted my first marathon on Sunday in Manchester. My time was a little slow (5:18), but adverse weather conditions also, but i was so pleased to have finished it.

Good luck and happy training.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.