Motivation = data/gear/treats

what gear to get??

3 messages
19/03/2013 at 10:17

For me I think two things will get me motivated. New gear/treats and signs of improvement.

To satisfy that I was thinking giving myself a treat in say 6 months time IF I start and keep running. I was thinking of something that can measure my improvements such as a good HRM or a GPS / S&D watch. SOmething that can show my effort to do somthing decreasing as I get fitter or somerthing that tells me I am running further in a set time.

what is the best/cheapest option? If I set myself a £100 maximum spend what should I get?

I know it is a gear question but one that is aimed at beginners like me. I know there are more experienced who read this section and offer advice since everyone was a beginner once. Any ideas??

19/03/2013 at 10:57

Garmin Forerunner.

You should be able to get a 110 for your budget, and a bit of a stretch you might get a 405/410 as they are older models that are going cheap.

I use races as my motivation as I find that I tend to just drift into unfocussed runs if I haven't got a target race.  

I'll quite often treat myself after a good result (e.g I bought a forerunner 405 after completing my first marathon).

20/03/2013 at 10:15

Just seen the Timex marathon GPS for £90. Reckon that will be a good treat if I make it to 1 month of running. Scrub that 1 week will do!!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.