Moving from 5k to 1/2 marathon ....Help

5 messages
27/01/2014 at 07:19

Hi All.

2013 was the worst year in my life in that I have been studying at uni( sat down most of the time), gf left me after 10 years and binge eating/alcohol has somehow increased my weight from 14 to 18 stone in just 1 year!! I have always been healthy and fit previously. Since the new year I have gone t-total with the drink, eating healthy, lost 1.5 stone and running 5k 3 times a week.A new year and a new start.

Also, as i'm back on the singles shelf I want to get back into shape so I can start dating again

I have paid to run the Nottingham 1/2 marathon in September. It's my future target. Can someone suggest how often I should bump up the mileage as there is still 8 months to go until race day.

Thank you,

Dave

27/01/2014 at 09:41

My advice,for what it's worth.

Spend some of that money your saving on not drinking by subscribing to the magazine.Then follow the plan they have laid out over 8 pages on training for your first half marathon.

Your profile seems a bit misleading.Favourite event marathon,then half then cross country and you cycle and swim.,

27/01/2014 at 11:43

Chris is right - your best bet is to get a training plan and follow it. It'll give you direction and motivation.

Most plans though for a half last about 12-16 weeks. Before you even get started on that you can try building your "Base". Maybe sign up for a 10k in a couple of months and follow a plan to get you to that first before thinking about the half?

Running a parkrun every few weeks is a good way of monitoring your improvements and helps massively with confidence. best of all, they are free! 

Set yourself some achievable goals along the way and you'll do just fine.

27/01/2014 at 15:10

Well done on the positive start.

Don't push to far/fast too soon. Slow steady progress and you should avoid injury.

I'd aim and train for a 10k in April/May time, then build up to half marathn after that. There are loads of plans around - choose one which suits you.

27/01/2014 at 19:34

thanks all, sorry my profile is old and has not been updated since my younger years. Something to do over the next few days. Yes I suppose a plan would be the best option to follow.

Cheers,

Dave

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.