Mutual Support and Encouragement for fellow Newbies

(I wouldn't rather be sat on the sofa with a glass of wine, honest..)

1 to 20 of 558 messages
28/12/2013 at 15:13

Welcome to all my fellow newbies who have decided to shake off the cobwebs and have a go at this running marlarkey. 

This thread is intended to offer motivation and support, and to satisfy my curiosity regarding how other people cope with the highs (apparently, they do exist) and lows of pushing our bodies to ridiculous lengths in the name of health. 

I am a middle aged mother of 1 teenage boy, overweight, and unfit. My only exercise is walking my 3 big dogs 5 days a week. Other times, I am very happy sitting down. And if its in the evening, preferably with a glass of Red. And perhaps some twiglets. 

My husband and son, for a joke, bought me "The Ultimate Guide To Marathon Running" publication for Christmas. I have decided to take it seriously. 

Worryingly, I have already entered a 5k Obstacle Run at the end of March, and a 10k run at the beginning of May. 

Training starts Monday............

You??

28/12/2013 at 16:01
Good luck with that, I'm starting again with my running from next Monday, still got too much sweets and stuff to start this side of new year. My biggest problem is the motivation, perhaps I should be like you and sign up for a race or something and have a target to force myself to keep going.
28/12/2013 at 16:42

Good for you Peter!

Yes, I knew without a goal I would be highly likely to drift away once the novelty had worn off.

Do you have anything near you in a couple of months you could start with? 

28/12/2013 at 17:01

Twiglets: YUM. Good luck!

28/12/2013 at 19:50
Not sure Caroline, I'm off to have a look, although I've signed up for jantastic, put down for 5 runs a week so that hopefully will see me through Jan, Feb and March.
29/12/2013 at 00:43

thanks! and Peter, I've signed up too

29/12/2013 at 01:21

That's good, are you in a team or as an individual Caroline? maybe we'll all have to post our times/runs etc on here so we can compare/commiserate as appropriate.

29/12/2013 at 12:13

Good idea! I'm an individual. 
Off for my first run shortly......!

29/12/2013 at 13:09
I'm part of a team. Hope you have a good run.
29/12/2013 at 13:30

Getting out there first time is the hardest step-how did it go?

29/12/2013 at 13:48

Ist run = done! 

29/12/2013 at 13:53
Well done, how'd it go?
29/12/2013 at 15:16

It went really well thanks Peter Used the C25K App on my phone, and made sure I jogged SLOWLY!! On the 3rd run, I felt a burning in my left knee, but it didn't last. Hoping that was quite normal....??! 

29/12/2013 at 16:00

You will probably get odd aches and pains as you run. As long as the are transient, they are just par for the course, if they are bad anough to make you limp STOP!- if you start to run in an uneven fashion to compensate for various sore bits, you'll hurt yourself.

Are you just running in ordinary trainers? If so, think about getting to a good running shop, and getting them to find an appropriate type of shoe for you. It will be worth it if it saves you suffering from multiple niggles- they will want to look at your fett, and may even want you to jog on a treadmill, or around the shop, so they can see what is best for you- don't be embarassed, any decent running shop is full of newbies at this time of year- take appropriate socks, and your old trainers so they can see the wear pattern.

When's the next one then?- is is 3 perweek?

29/12/2013 at 17:47
That's good, I'm sure you'll get a few little niggles to start as your muscles get used to the change in exercise routine.
29/12/2013 at 18:15

thank you Yes I've just run in trainers (which have only been worn a handful of times)
It's odd - my left knee has a little puffy vein (I think, its not blue) right over the knee cap. Thats exactly where the sensation was. 

I will get footwear sorted, but may also see a sports physio. 
I was born with dislocated hips and a club foot and wasn't expected to ever walk. I'm totally fine though, although i do have a bit of a leaning forward walk. I used to have horses but gave up riding due in part to constantly getting bad backs. Probably my position in the saddle, again, tipping forward. 

I REALLY REALLY hope I am able to run!!!!

29/12/2013 at 18:16

...sorry tricialitt, yes its 3 times a week.

29/12/2013 at 18:23
I hope you're able to keep it up, I quite believe you'll manage, especially with all you've already overcome. Can't offer any suggestions on your knee though.
29/12/2013 at 18:27

Thank you Peter

30/12/2013 at 13:17
Hi Caroline, I am like you, middle aged, and middle heavy staring out running again.

So if you want to keep in touch, to mentor and encourage each other then feel free.

Good luck with your training, I keep putting it off because of the awful weather. Poor excuse I know.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/beginners/beginner-support-network/271060.html
1 to 20 of 558 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.