My 1st 10k too

21 to 28 of 28 messages
06/08/2002 at 22:00
Hi Jem

I had a read of the article you suggested. I think the fartlek training will be worth a try. I usually run with a friend so it may be tricky if our states of exhaustion don't match up. It's certainly worth knowing about though, I may try it out on the treadmill sometime.

Sending off our entries for the next 10k tomorrow (yikes) we have just under 4 weeks to prepare and hopefully improve on our time from the last one.

Thanks again for your advice.
Loll
jem
06/08/2002 at 22:04
hiya loll

glad you found article useful and good luck for your upcoming races!

let us know how you get on with your training (and the races).

i've got a 5K coming up in September and then an 8 mile run in October!

:) jem
08/08/2002 at 13:48
Hi all,
Just joined the site. I did my first 10K at the end of June in 52 mins, which really surprised me as I was just hoping to get through in under an hour. Found that I ran faster due to running off another runners pace. Had only run a few times before that but been going to gym. Have started running 2 or 3 times a week. There is a 10 mile run on Sunday which I'm thinking of attempting, but wondered whether it was wise and what pace to run at.

Any ideas/advice welcome.

Mark
08/08/2002 at 19:16
Mark - give it a go, particularly if you've kept up the running since the 10k in June. I did my first ten miler a couple of months after the first 10k, and although the last few miles were quite tough, I got through it fine. :o)

Going back to the earlier emails, it made me think back, and how I never believed I could run some of the distances I'd heard people speak of "in legend", but gradually I built up the distance I could do. After my first 10k I just didn't know how anyone could run 10 miles, but a few months later I'd done it, and then gradually built up to a full marathon. I think it's all relative - however far you've run, the next step up will seem long, but later on you'll think of it as a short run!

Congrats to all, whatever stage you're at - hope to see you guys at a race sometime :o)
08/08/2002 at 20:49
Jem - Good luck for your 5k and 8 miles. I'm sure you'll do great. Keep me posted with your news and any more helpful tips would be most welcome.

Mark - Well done, great time for your first 10k. I'm a beginner myself so unfortunately can't offer much in the way of advice. I think you should go for it on the 10 miles, we're hoping to do 10 in October. Our race plan for the first time on this distance is to take it easy and concentrate on getting round (without too much pain) then work on improving pace for the next time. Best of luck.

Iain - Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'm looking forward to the days when I can think of 10k as a short run.

Happy training everyone!

Loll
09/08/2002 at 09:05
Oh how I am panicking about my first half maraton now in Sept after only ever having done a 5K before,it is such hard,hard work- what have I done?
I think everyone on this thread is doing so very well and are soooo sensible!
jem
09/08/2002 at 14:37
hi Loll - thanks for the good wishes - will keep you posted

Mark - well done so for - I'd say go for the 10 miles but take it easy and don't push yourself so hard that you do yourself an injury

Iain - likewise, hope to see you at a race

Debs - you can do it - one foot in front of the other, one step at a time

:) jem
09/08/2002 at 22:24
Hi all,
Is anyone doing the Bishop Auckland 10k at the end of the month?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.