My first 10km

41 to 45 of 45 messages
14/02/2013 at 10:45

Hi all,

Am about to do my first 10k race this Sunday. Have been training but can't seem to get under 1hr. I don't want to beat myself up about this as I have never felt better or fitter. There will always be people quicker, and there will always be people slower! The main thing is I will run it all!!

14/02/2013 at 11:52

Agreed, just going out and doing it is the achievement in itself.

I've done one marathon and I came right near the back.  It's funny when I crossed the line I didn't spend one second thinking damn I wish I was further up the field, but I can tell you it took about 3 months for me to stop grinning saying i've done a marathon... I bet the first 10k is just the same.

14/02/2013 at 16:28

wow this forum was really possitive 10 yrs ago.

14/02/2013 at 16:32

?

14/02/2013 at 20:39

T Dog don't worry about the time on race day i find i always have a bit of extra, which is just as well because my training normally falls to pieces in the months before. My first 10k. I didn't run for 6 weeks as kept using the weather as an excuse (it was dec2009/jan 2010 and lots of snow)the week of the race I ran 5k on the wednesday in about 30 min then 6k on thursday in 35 min. then the sunday race day i managed the race in 1hr 23 secs in terrible conditions where times i had to walk due to the amount of ice and the 10k started with a 2k long hill. Oh and I crashed my car due to icy roads the day before the race. So as long as you get near 1hr in training there is a good chance on race day that you will beat the 1hr time. Good luck.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 45 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.